Is the top 4 set?

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m really surprised people have the Dees that far ahead. They only beat GC by 10 and Hawks by 13. Even we got like 24 or something without Dusty and some other shitty clubs also about the same margin. They have had the easiest run of anybody in the league and thus the hardest last half of the year. I guarantee they will drop more games than people are thinking and everybody on this thread will change their opinions on them.

Until someone finds out how to beat them, no one will.

I’m really surprised people have the Dees that far ahead. They only beat GC by 10 and Hawks by 13. Even we got like 24 or something without Dusty and some other shitty clubs also about the same margin. They have had the easiest run of anybody in the league and thus the hardest last half of the year. I guarantee they will drop more games than people are thinking and everybody on this thread will change their opinions on them.
yeah mate usually the team that is so far ahead of every other team has the easiest run.

You remind me of that Cake Essendon supporter.

Jesus I can’t believe how some people don’t know how the draw works. The difficulty of the draw is based on the teams you play in regards to their respective ladder positions regardless of how good you are compared to them.

The fact that they can dictate just how much effort to put into games and be 10-0 is scary. Only injuries can stop them now.

I don't think we're any chance, but I'm curious as to who you think that one player is?

Balta? I was just going off the afl website although it had Jack Graham listed as a test and may not have got up.

Still - basically full strength, in good form and a good fixture. I think you are a good chance, and finishing 4th the best bet to beat Melbourne too

#obsession

George Costanza Seinfeld GIF

Balta? I was just going off the afl website although it had Jack Graham listed as a test and may not have got up.

Still - basically full strength, in good form and a good fixture. I think you are a good chance, and finishing 4th the best bet to beat Melbourne too

Yeah that was right before this round, now we have lynch with a hammy and lambert with hip problems. Still not too bad, I think we get back Balta and Lambert after the bye. Sydney is the only problem now, must win game.

I actually can't believe people in here have Carlton finishing top 4, never thought I'd see it. Let's be real, Melbourne are going back to back, but if the blues finish top 4, ill be over the moon.

After many years of disappointment, I'm still worried we wont make top 4, even worried we dont make top 8. I've been scarred for way too long to trust this team yet :(

I actually can't believe people in here have Carlton finishing top 4, never thought I'd see it. Let's be real, Melbourne are going back to back, but if the blues finish top 4, ill be over the moon.

After many years of disappointment, I'm still worried we wont make top 4, even worried we dont make top 8. I've been scarred for way too long to trust this team yet :(

Don’t stress, I reckon you’ll beat the Dees in a prelim and play the lions in the GF. 50/50 game.

Yeah Jack Graham missed out too with a foot injury. So you're partly right, we almost went one weekend without any more than a couple of key players injured, which would've been the first time in a long time. There's been weeks this year when the Tigers have had 5 or 6 key players sidelined - swings and roundabouts. For the next few weeks there's Lambert and Lynch to add to the injury list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're the best team in it and they don't have much to prove being the reigning premiers, but you do have a point.

They've played 7 of the bottom 8 sides and only one of the top 6 so far. Freo, Sydney, Collingwood and Brisbane in the next 4 will give an good gauge into just how good a side they are.

i don't think they'll go undefeated but when richmond were head and shoulder above the pack they'd often win win a 3-4 goal burst in the last qtr too. Melbourne are picking and choosing when to go because they can - until the finals they'll only lose if they relax imo

Demons are the only lock for top 4.

Right now you could throw a blanket on Brisbane, Fremantle, Richmond, Geelong, Sydney, Western Bulldogs , Carlton and St Kilda. It might be a year where 1-2 wins between 2nd place and 8th.

Melbourne are just cruising right now but someone will get them and by the end of the season will they be found out? Will they cop a few injuries towards the back end that could derail them? Their best right now is better than anyone else by a bit.

All the other sides in finals contention you could argue are all about level and it will come down on fitness and the draw.

Carlton , Geelong and Richmond have good draws, Cats get the good home ground advantage and should win enough, Blues playing good footy but there have been signs all year of letting big leads go. Tigers well if we keep people on the park who knows? Few moves like Short in the middle, Rioli across half back, Maurice pressure up forward has kick started us again but can the old vets like Edwards, Cotchin and co keep the hunger up? We do have a favourable draw with a trip to Sydney this week but from memory of those in the top 8 we play Geelong , Fremantle and Brisbane at the G.

I actually think top 7 is set, just the order will change back and forth many times until end of round 23.
I think the last spot in 8 up for grabs between Tigers, Dogs, Pies, Port, Suns and gws.
Probably go down to the wire.
hope its suns

i think itll be dogs

tiges to get healthy and finish 9th mond

hope its suns

i think itll be dogs

tiges to get healthy and finish 9th mond
I think that the most likely outcome.
Would be exciting to see Suns finally make it but probably just too inconsistent they will just fall short. If they had Ben King they would be a lock imo.

The way I see it:
1-2: SET
1. Melbourne
Melbourne have been dominant with a top four attack and the number one ranked defence. They are obviously the team to beat, would be staggered if they finished outside of the two.

2. Brisbane
Brisbane can only realistically be challenged for 2nd by Carlton, Fremantle and St Kilda. Yes, they dropped a win they should've taken at UTAS but I don't see how their win buffer and percentage buffer could be overcame. Carlton, Fremantle and St Kilda are all too inconsistent to suggest that any of them could usurp them here.

3-5: SET (AS in, they'll make the eight but all sides here could finish anywhere from 8th - 3rd)
3. Carlton
Carlton have been great but you just get the feeling that they'll drop another few matches they should've won (i.e. Gold Coast) and they are a very young team, so history would suggest they're susceptible to lapses in form based on their age profile. Won't finish outside the 8, should be good enough for top four but you can't be sure.

4. Fremantle
Fremantle had a brilliant run but have now had two upset losses to teams you'd expect to place anywhere from 8th-12th. Rain a factor, sure - but some doubt must come into question with respect to the overall gameplan. Have they been figured out? If they have been, are other teams good enough to execute against them in dry conditions? Or, does it have to be wet in order for lesser teams to beat them? Enough question marks to suggest they could fall, but certainly good enough to warrant a lock in the top 8.

5. St. Kilda
Saints have had a difficult draw (just ask any Saints fan) and are yet to play West Coast and North (just ask any Saints fan!!) so you'd expect a considerable % increase on the back of those. Their best footy is a treat to watch and they move the ball well. Looked a fair way off of it against Melbourne, but have looked impressive otherwise. Yes, they weren't dominant against Adelaide but Adelaide are better than their record suggests and good teams will always find a way to win, which the Saints did. They could finish anywhere from 3rd to 8th on exposed form. Will not miss finals and a chance for the four.

6-7: SET (AS in, they'll make the eight, but not the four.)
6. Geelong
Geelong have had moments where they've really clicked and looked great. I had the pleasure of watching them beat Brisbane at home where they looked fantastic. I cannot see them missing the eight but I can't see them making the four. Their best is good enough to challenge anyone, especially at GMHBA. They have ground to make up on the top four and can't seem to put more than 2-3 weeks of good footy together at a time which probably won't be good enough for fourth.

7. Sydney
Sydney at their best are one of the best teams in the competition. However, when they're off they can fall away very quickly. Three losses in four weeks with their solitary win coming against the lowly Bombers doesn't bode well. They will make the eight but highly unlikely that they can make the four.

8-12: Anyones game!
8/9. Richmond/WBD
The most likely sides to finish 8th or above. Both have been in the upper echelons of the comp in recent years and after both sides having slow starts look to have hit a bit of form.

The Dogs ground out a great win against the Suns, they were challenged and came out on top of an in-form Suns outfit. Need to remember that they regain Bruce soon, who should change their FWD line dynamic considerably.

Richmond at their best have looked sublime this year. Dusty looks refreshed and recharged and many of the familiar faces from their premiership years are playing great footy. The Lynch loss will really, really hurt them as I'm not sure Riewoldt in his mid 30's has the capacity to carry their scoring efforts.

10/11/12. Collingwood/Port Adelaide/Gold Coast
These sides are all unlikely to make the eight but are about where I'd draw the line for genuine chances.

If Collingwood beats Carlton, game on. If Port can bury Essendon, then get a few wins against decent opposition in Richmond and Sydney then they overtake Richmond/WBD in my contention. If Gold Coast win their next three, all of which they should start as favorites in - then they're a serious chance.

Richmond at their best have looked sublime this year. Dusty looks refreshed and recharged and many of the familiar faces from their premiership years are playing great footy. The Lynch loss will really, really hurt them as I'm not sure Riewoldt in his mid 30's has the capacity to carry their scoring efforts.
Lynch is only out for 1 game - this week vs Sydney, bye then he is back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is the top 4 set?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back