Is there a club that handles adversity worse than the West Coast Eagles?

Remove this Banner Ad

How's wce form completely throwing the conditioning coach under the bus. Their really pushing this injury excuse.

Who's out of the 22 that legitimately would make a difference?

Hurn
Ryan
McGovern
Cripps
Nic Nat

Even with those guys back, I don't think they magically become a top 10 team. Plenty of sides have had more top end talent out than that and havnt conceded cricket scores.

How's wce form completely throwing the conditioning coach under the bus. Their really pushing this injury excuse.

Who's out of the 22 that legitimately would make a difference?

Hurn
Ryan
McGovern
Cripps
Nic Nat

Even with those guys back, I don't think they magically become a top 10 team. Plenty of sides have had more top end talent out than that and havnt conceded cricket scores.
I hate West Coast more than basically anyone else in the comp, but I think in fairness you have to give a bit of attribution of their current plight to the non-existent pre-season they had. Coupled with an imbalanced list lacking talent in that prime age range and their butchered salary cap (Nic Nat, McGovern, Gaff deals, Kelly and Yeo to an extent though those two can at least still play football) it’s all coming to a head.

I hate West Coast more than basically anyone else in the comp, but I think in fairness you have to give a bit of attribution of their current plight to the non-existent pre-season they had. Coupled with an imbalanced list lacking talent in that prime age range and their butchered salary cap (Nic Nat, McGovern, Gaff deals, Kelly and Yeo to an extent though those two can at least still play football) it’s all coming to a head.
I'd put their current predicament down more to extremely poor list management than any other factor. The constant injury excuse is wearing thing. Every week we have to listen about how they only have 27 to pick from. Realistically most teams only have approx 30 players to pick from anywhere. The rest are players that are no where near afl level anyway. Every team has injuries, but if it wasn't for mortgaging their future on kelly, they would have the depth to cover them

Eh, history at the Eagles shows once a player gets to their 30's with all the travel they gotta do they fall off a cliff, which is why Hurn is our only 300 game player. It's like a triple decker of horribleness that our over 30's are close to million dollar players, who've fallen off a cliff AND often get medium/long term injuries after playing a couple games.
Ummmm that is true for most of the case.....

However.... There can be some exceptions.

Chris Mainwaring retired at 34 or 35 years old. But he played from 1987-99. So he was already 22 or 23 years old when he had his eagles debut game in 1987.

Peter Matera played until he is 33 or 34.

Dean Cox fell just short of 300 games.

Tim Kelly started late. He was 22 or 23 years old when he had his debut game vs the cats. Played 2 seasons for the cats before being traded to your mob.

I don't seem him breaking down at 30 years old. I do see him playing AFL for west coast until he is 33 or 34 years old.

Did the WAFL side this weekend only have two (2) AFL listed players?

The inability to have enough fit players to compete for selection was an OK excuse in the covid days, but in 2023 there is plenty wrong. & yes its an off field issue that MUST be FIXED ...
Who's your strength and conditioning coach?

Sure why not? Everyone else around us on the ladder gets to play them on the run home including Essendon. You get a free % booster from it and it could be important come end of year.
Your team won the premiership last year. You get a harder draw because of this.

Just because Geelong is mid table this season doesn't mean they're hard done by.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eagles give up far too easily
They surely aren't this bad
Players only put in effort when they feel like it (once every month or 2) because Simpson tolerated lack of effort for so long. Now he's gone but the club still accepts it because that's what they've been used to. As a supporter I'd hope with a new coach in 2025 they wouldn't be a disgrace to the fans. Currently the club is pathetic

Players only put in effort when they feel like it (once every month or 2) because Simpson tolerated lack of effort for so long. Now he's gone but the club still accepts it because that's what they've been used to. As a supporter I'd hope with a new coach in 2025 they wouldn't be a disgrace to the fans. Currently the club is pathetic

Well said mate, I am sick to death of the Simpson plaudits. He has killed this club.

Sure why not? Everyone else around us on the ladder gets to play them on the run home including Essendon. You get a free % booster from it and it could be important come end of year.
That’s why we have priority picks. When a team is extremely poor over a certain period of time they try to accelerate their rebuild with extra picks.

No team had lost by as much as the eagles had over that period of time and not received a priority pick.

Until the eagles 2023… who are worse than the other teams that received priority picks under the same circumstances.

V

F

L

Last year finishing last and being the only team in history to have a second round pick in the 30's
after finishing last really really hurts and puts back the rebuild

If we get a end of first round priority that would help

That’s why we have priority picks. When a team is extremely poor over a certain period of time they try to accelerate their rebuild with extra picks.

No team had lost by as much as the eagles had over that period of time and not received a priority pick.

Until the eagles 2023… who are worse than the other teams that received priority picks under the same circumstances.

V

F

L

Have the Eagles even asked the AFL for Priority Picks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there a club that handles adversity worse than the West Coast Eagles?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back