Is Walker better than Cooney?

Remove this Banner Ad

Well line up the Brisbane midfield aaginst the Carlton one. I think the brisbane midfield is better at the moment, but not clearly better, at least on paper. Obviously Brisbane a far better team overall than Carlton at the moment, but the point is Carlton's midfield is a bit underrated and will cause problems if not given respect. Sheedy was clearly aware of this and shut them down and they fell apart. West Coast didn't and paid the price.

Speaking of under-rated teams, I think Melbourne and Western Bulldogs definitely are. Will be interesting to see how some of the Victorian teams go this year.

Originally posted by Thrawn
As for if Walker is better than Cooney or not, time will tell. Wait a few years. But from what I've seen so far, Walker looks the more impressive player.

I reckon if Walker was playing for another club, there'd be more people that would say that he's better than Cooney. Just a gut instinct.
Walker, Sylvia and Tenace were clearly the standout Victorian players. Walker is still very young and it's way too early to label him the pick of the 2003 crop. He is going to be an exciting player

Hard to know where the teams will end up at this stage. I have a feeling that either Melbourne or Carlton will make the 8. It's heavily dependent on injuries etc.. Carlton will finish somewhere between 10 and 6. Doubt they have the team to make a serious impact if they make the finals though. Likewise Melbourne

Originally posted by Thrawn
We're at best mid-table as midfields do.

Port, Brisbane, St. Kilda - they are in the top echleon.

Although he's already said to the contrary, what he should have meant was that in full flight and doing their jobs properly, the Carlton midfield is not middle of the road, nor poor.

Scotland is on mission, Walker looks to be sensational, Johnson looks to be playing like a couple of other Johnsons (I think anyone named Johnson may be picked up in this year's draft purely based on their name, it's worked wonders so far), Campo has support so he's playing well, Bannister is excelling at tagging, Kouta is Kouta and Stevens is Stevens.

While it's not the best on paper and definitely not the most consistent, it is something to be proud of and certainly will give teams a worry.

Originally posted by The_Flying_Egg
Im quite happy with Cooney. There's obviously a reason he was picked first

sorry but anyone with Mr Cltuch - Ben Harrison attached to their name, shouldnt be allowed to speak on any subject:p

Originally posted by localyokel
They are completely different types of players. Cooney is much bigger in the hips and shoulders and will be a man moutain whereas Walker has silkier skills and more pace. Both clubs have done exceptionally well to get these players.

"done exceptionally well" have they?
they finished in the bottom 2 positions last year. that's all they've done to get these players to their clubs.
you need to redefine what you consider to be an "exceptional" effort.

Originally posted by tomaraya
"done exceptionally well" have they?
they finished in the bottom 2 positions last year. that's all they've done to get these players to their clubs.
you need to redefine what you consider to be an "exceptional" effort.

You need to learn how to read other posts and realise that this has been dealt with

The short bits footage of Cooney I've seen on TV have been mixed, some excellent and some just OK. I can't comment much further having not seen him in the flesh, or having watched an entire Dogs game.
Walker was extremely impressive in his first outing, and if he can play at that level for the majority of his career then he'll be up there with the very elite players in the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Bluemike
thats the system.........we might not agree with it

and to think we would have traded the pick away if brittain was still there.......:D :D :D :D

Now that what I like to see a Carlton fan defending their draft picks with "thats the system" line....although that wasnt going down so well for sainst fans?

we really shoulda rorted.....you get more respect:p :p

Originally posted by scooter600x
Did I read that right, or did he just say the Carlton's midfield was nearly as good as Voss, Black, Lappin, Power and Aker?

Unfortunately you did. Its amazing what drugs does for a person these days. Carltons midfield as good as Brisbanes

Originally posted by scooter600x
Did I read that right, or did he just say the Carlton's midfield was nearly as good as Voss, Black, Lappin, Power and Aker?

Don't forget once upon a time Aker said he wanted to be like Campo.

Everyone is capable of improvement in the Carlton midfield compared to how they're playing at the moment... the Brisbane midfield is at the peak of its powers or near too... but either way he's being somewhat over-the-top with that statement.

I didnt see Walker so cant compare, but goign by the stats and peoples comments sounds like he is a gun. No doubt, picked up at #2 u would expect him to be one, but in his first game....very very good stuff. Real test of course will come against bigger strong sides, such as Brisbane, Port, Adelaide, Essendon, St.Kilda.

Too early to compare both of them, Cooney's junior record is superior, so picking him at #1 was based on that. Time will tell in the bigtime. In comparing the two, heres what I see.

Walker: Seems to be very athletic, good ground coverage and knows where to place himself to win the ball.

Cooney: Much stronger than Walker in the hips and shoulders, so therefore much less likely to go to ground when tackled and has the freak ability to split packs and kick mad goals, even if he wont be as a high possession winner. Walker will end up picking up more touches, im sure of it, Cooney isnt the 4 1/4 athlete, but more of an impact player ATM I might add. Like a Chris Judd on and off.

Give them both time, rate them after two full years of AFL, should be able to draw a line and say who has performed better.

Colin Sylvia will be the best player from that draft, and he will be the best player in the comp in a few years

Anyways, Walker is better than Cooney

seriously Cooney has shown sweet FA so far. Looks more like an undrfated struggler than a number 1 pick

Originally posted by Yze_Magic
Colin Sylvia will be the best player from that draft, and he will be the best player in the comp in a few years

seriously Cooney has shown sweet FA so far. Looks more like an undrfated struggler than a number 1 pick

Will Colin be as good as Garry Lyon or is that pushing things too far?

Silvia and McClean are already annointed as champions by Melbourne supporters and they havent even played a game.

Yze, if their debuts are not better than Walker's, I am going to be very disappointed with you. :(

Originally posted by Squizy Taylor
Will Colin be as good as Garry Lyon or is that pushing things too far?

Silvia and McClean are already annointed as champions by Melbourne supporters and they havent even played a game.

Yze, if their debuts are not better than Walker's, I am going to be very disappointed with you. :(

Brock McLean had 28 possessions for Sandringham today, absolutely dominated. The Kid is ready to step in

Brock McLean had 28 possessions for Sandringham today, absolutely dominated. The Kid is ready to step in

His opponent (Faulkner) was B.O.G for Werribee. Good to see he is accountable :rolleyes: As for your comment on Cooney before... I'm not even gonna start. Your a tosser!

Originally posted by Top Dog
His opponent (Faulkner) was B.O.G for Werribee. Good to see he is accountable :rolleyes:
Considering the fact McLean kicked 2 goals and set up another 4-5, I think he won the battle.

Faulkner was pretty good though.

You really have absolutely no idea at all do you. You continuely outdo yourself

Who cares?

Walker made a sensational debut. Cooney has been used differently, playing in a different team with a different game plan and coachng philosophy.

AT this stage, they both look like being great players. Good luck to them both.

And really, who knows regarding Sylvia? Time will tell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Walker better than Cooney?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back