Is Walker better than Cooney?

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched Walker, Sylvia, Mclean at U18 level and Sylvia was the better player. However Walker has more improvement in him than the other two and thats why Carlton went for him. He will get bigger and may play key position down the line.
Cooney will play for the Crows or Port Adelaide after his two years with the Bulldogs.
I reckon Carlton will have the better player in Walker in the final wash up providing he can remain injury free.

Go Roos in 2004

I would happily take Walker over Cooney any day of the week!!!! Cooney is not very acountable and looks a little chubby, he has done nothing to impress at me this stage.
I would happily take Richmonds Brent Hartigan pick number 70 over Cooney at this stage, stats will show he has been the superior player this year!!!

cheers

Originally posted by Kingy

Cooney will play for the Crows or Port Adelaide after his two years with the Bulldogs.

Please with all your wisdom let us know how you know this. Can you please also inform us all when Mitch Hahn is going to play for the Lions, when Cam Faulkner is off to the Crows or Power and why Luke Darcy never left for home.

And please tell us whether Sansbury will end up at the Crows or Power

Originally posted by tige19

I would happily take Richmonds Brent Hartigan pick number 70 over Cooney at this stage, stats will show he has been the superior player this year!!!

And by this logic you'd no doubt agree that Scotty West has been the best player of the last decacde.

If you'd rather Hartigan your a fool.

Cooney is not very acountable and looks a little chubby, he has done nothing to impress at me this stage.

Whatever else is said about Cooney, I cannot agree that the boy isn't accountable. His ferocity at the ball-carrier and second efforts are possibly the most impressive part of his performances so far. This stands out all the more in a team that has lacked this aggression and accountability over the last couple of years.

I would happily take Walker over Cooney any day of the week!!!! Cooney is not very acountable and looks a little chubby, he has done nothing to impress at me this stage.

cheers
You are a wise man tige! At this stage, I'd take Hartigan, Walker and even Davey ahead of Cooney! But I guess drafting is a ten year process, and the goal is to select the one will will be best over a ten year career.

Farren Ray is the more unaccountable of Cooney and Ray though.

Didnt Hasleby have 27 touches? :)

Discounting Cooney now already is like digging ur own grave. His second efforts are better than most at AFL already, the 1percenters, they go unoticed on stats etc but the coach sure notices. I can assure u u will be eating humble pie in the not too distant future.

Sylvia will also be a gun, Mclean too.

Originally posted by Thunderstruck
Didnt Hasleby have 27 touches? :)

Kicks 16 Marks 2 H.Balls 14 Disp 30 Goals 1 Pts 2 Tack 2

Still more than happy with Cooney, We just have to keep him over here and happy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cooneys stats havent been brillaint but he has had a bit of an impact.He is third in our hardball gets and has done some nice things.Most impressive thing for me has been his chasing,tackling etc.I would think that Carlton would be ecstatic Walkers already playing let alone getting 26 touches.

Theyre both guns , thjey will both have their highs and lows for a couple of seasons before theyre fully blooded AFL footballers.
Ive loved things from both of those kids over the last year.
Im happy with Walker and would still have been happy with Cooney if we had him.
I must say id have taken Walker with #1 .But thats just a personal thing.
I think these 2 are going to be better than the others from last years draft.
Walker just keeps getting better and better and he really does have the X factor about himself with his athleticism.
Cooney in full flight is sensational.

Saw a lot of Adam's juniour footy and have been very impressed with his start in the AFL. There seems to be plenty more to come as he should start to get more on ball work (he wasn't drafted to play in the forward line). Bulldogs did the right thing by drafting him. I'm not sure if he will stay but he seems to be enjoying his time there,which is good for the Doggies. Walkers debut was fantastic. It is a bit early to say who is the better player. Most people can't agree who was the best player in the last 20 years let alone after their debut....

I watched a replay of the game on Fox Footy focusing on Walker and he is better than what i've seen of Cooney.

That bit of play when he scooped the ball up and hit Scotland on the chest was incredible from a player on debut.

When Cooney's body is conditioned in terms of hardness and fitness, and thus he is able to play 4 quarters of AFL footy and make many more contests, watch out!

for those that havent seen squat of cooney so far, heres the lowdown.

1) he will get his own hard ball, and bash and crash to do it
2) he will bust a tackle or dispose well by standing up in the tackle - rarely goes to ground
3) will correctly pick when to handball, kick long or burst free of the pack
4) will pick up his own man and do all the one percenters - good tackler
5) is good on either foot and can kick the long running goal from outside 50, and can do so after winning his own contest, not just on the receive

he may never regularly get 30 possessions - he will probably be more like a mcleoud or akermanis in that he will get 20+ possessions on a good day, but those possessions will really hurt the opposition. his speed, size and smarts will ensure he will be very difficult to tag.

Originally posted by stefoid
When Cooney's body is conditioned in terms of hardness and fitness, and thus he is able to play 4 quarters of AFL footy and make many more contests, watch out!

for those that havent seen squat of cooney so far, heres the lowdown.

1) he will get his own hard ball, and bash and crash to do it
2) he will bust a tackle or dispose well by standing up in the tackle - rarely goes to ground
3) will correctly pick when to handball, kick long or burst free of the pack
4) will pick up his own man and do all the one percenters - good tackler
5) is good on either foot and can kick the long running goal from outside 50, and can do so after winning his own contest, not just on the receive

he may never regularly get 30 possessions - he will probably be more like a mcleoud or akermanis in that he will get 20+ possessions on a good day, but those possessions will really hurt the opposition. his speed, size and smarts will ensure he will be very difficult to tag.

Perfect post, thats exactly what he is like, will never be a big possesion winner, just that whenever he goes near the ball expect something to happen such as mcleod and Aker as u said. Mcleod in his heyday btw not so much now.

I think I remember Cooney kicking 9 goals playing as centre as a junior in an older grade once.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Walker better than Cooney?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back