Opinion It’s The Voice, try and understand it : WCE supports The Voice

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or maybe the club wants to be pro voice....
Conspiracy theories already trickling in. I mean, it couldn't possibly be that the West Coast Eagles actually have a significant number of Aboriginal people both in its past and present, Aboriginal people appear to overwhelmingly support the proposal, and you'd have to be a real campaigner to not even go into bat for them.

Where did THAT come from? It’s not what I said. Not standing for the anthem and being disrespectful during Anzac services are indicators of boorishness and sociopathy, not wokeness (which I would loosely define as relativism and its consequences). As for who’s “driving” wokeness – it probably IS Millennials, but with a great deal of assistance from all other generations (if we’re looking at it from a generational perspective). Those LEAST responsible for “driving” wokeness are Boomers.
So what did you mean to say by labeling Jackoutback as a millennial then? You clearly meant it in a negative way, so what were you trying to imply if not that?

Conspiracy theories already trickling in. I mean, it couldn't possibly be that the West Coast Eagles actually have a significant number of Aboriginal people both in its past and present, Aboriginal people appear to overwhelmingly support the proposal, and you'd have to be a real campaigner to not even go into bat for them.
Couldn't be anything to do with the heavy association between the club and the Waalitj Foundation either.

I stand for the Anthem because I am proud of and love my Country
Are you proud of the Frontier Wars, the Stolen Generation, our roles in Iraq and Afghanistan, current levels of poverty, homelessness etc? I always find it odd this idea that we must be 'proud' of our inanimate bit of rock, the society on top of which that is constantly changing. I'm grateful I live in a relatively safe, secure and free country with opportunities for me and my family to live well. I imagine if I was Indigenous, living in a remote community, affected by generations of trauma, I'd be less grateful. I'm pleased when our country advances policies that help people, not because it makes us look good but because it helps people. I'm disappointed when they fail other people. Either way, standing for a song commissioned in 1974 doesn't really go to any of my thoughts on the matter.

'Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all others because you were born in it.' - George Bernard Shaw

Last edited:
So what did you mean to say by labeling Jackoutback as a millennial then? You clearly meant it in a negative way, so what were you trying to imply if not that?

The answer is in the post you quoted. The “Okay Millennial” is a play on the dismissive expression “Okay Boomer”. Boomer had been referred to in the post JOB was responding to (from Get_the_Gaff). There you go. Enough with the disingenuous questions now…

Are you proud of the Frontier Wars, the Stolen Generation, our roles in Iraq and Afghanistan, current levels of poverty, homelessness etc? I always find it odd this idea that we must be 'proud' of our inanimate bit of rock, the society on top of which that is constantly changing. I'm grateful I live in a relatively safe, secure and free country with opportunities for me and my family to live well. I imagine if I was Indigenous, living in a remote community, affected by generations of trauma, I'd be less grateful. I'm pleased when our country advances policies that help people, not because it makes us look good but because it helps people. I'm disappointed when they fail other people. Either way, standing for a song commissioned in 1977 doesn't really go to any of my thoughts on the matter.

'Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all others because you were born in it.' - George Bernard Shaw

So don’t stand… good for you and your choice should be respected .
Same as I avoid certain ceremonies people like to push .

Why you even bothering? This individual loves deciding when discussions end for their own arbitrary reasons - ie: when they can't justify their opinion when questioned.

I dunno really, I'll go back to shitposting and gifs
one of us GIF

Yes a lot of western organisations have gone 'woke in the last decade but attendance and viewers have dropped off dramatically.

I don't think going progressive is going to help the Eagles especially with a huge amount of stubborn boomers as your largest member group .

Sure be more aware but as we have seen with the NBA / NFL and the massive walk away from the public people don't like to be told what to think and want to watch sport to escape from all the political crap not have it shoved down their throats
NBA just had its most watched season in five years and is in the midst of its most watched playoffs in 12 years. Some games broke 21 year old records for most watched first round games. Lakers/Warriors to come so more records will fall. These are all TV records, even though no campaigner watches TV anymore, and USA only so no accounting for increasing international interest.

NFL draft has had its three highest views ever in 2020/21/and now 2023 last weekend. 2023 Super Bowl the third most watched in history.

Not sure anyone is walking away from anything in droves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NBA just had its most watched season in five years and in the midst of its most watched playoffs in 12. Some games broke 21 year old records for most watched first round games. Lakers/Warriors to come so more records will fall.

NFL draft has had its three highest views ever in 2020/21/and now 2023. 2023 Super Bowl the third most watched in history.

Not sure anyone is walking away from anything in droves.
Anything progressive that people don't like, they simply label as 'woke'.

The shock's starting to set in now that they're realising the majority of people are mostly ok with it, or simply don't care enough of what a small minority do that they simply get on with their lives.

Anything progressive that people don't like, they simply label as 'woke'.

The shock's starting to set in now that they're realising the majority of people are mostly ok with it, or simply don't care enough of what a small minority do that they simply get on with their lives.
Nah mate silent majority.

Silent and also forget to vote apparently, just thump about on Facebook comments sections making noise.

Are you proud of the Frontier Wars, the Stolen Generation, our roles in Iraq and Afghanistan, current levels of poverty, homelessness etc? I always find it odd this idea that we must be 'proud' of our inanimate bit of rock, the society on top of which that is constantly changing. I'm grateful I live in a relatively safe, secure and free country with opportunities for me and my family to live well. I imagine if I was Indigenous, living in a remote community, affected by generations of trauma, I'd be less grateful. I'm pleased when our country advances policies that help people, not because it makes us look good but because it helps people. I'm disappointed when they fail other people. Either way, standing for a song commissioned in 1974 doesn't really go to any of my thoughts on the matter.

If you don't love your country and the people in it than how can you extend your parameters of love to the rest of the world?
I like to view positives and not dwell on negatives and thank every day that I am not shot at, beaten or tortured and can express religious freedom etc.
If I lived in Russia, Sudan etc this would be impossible. So, yeah, I love my Country.

Sure be more aware but as we have seen with the NBA / NFL and the massive walk away from the public people don't like to be told what to think and want to watch sport to escape from all the political crap not have it shoved down their throats
Exactly, the Washington Redskins went woke and changed their name two years ago and are now filing for bankruptcy.

Wait no, they're about to sell for a record amount for a US sporting franchise. I always get those mixed up

Exactly, the Washington Redskins went woke and changed their name two years ago and are now filing for bankruptcy.

Wait no, they're about to sell for a record amount for a US sporting franchise. I always get those mixed up
Funnily enough I've seen a number of Native Americans who actually complained they changed the name from the Redskins, as it was a name they gave to their warriors and not a derogatory term for skin colour, like a lot of people assumed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back