Its time to go Laidley

Remove this Banner Ad

The draft picks arguments is old, washed out and has no relevance.

Who is Adelaide's highest draft pick? The last top five pick they had they traded to us.

Our coach tried to base our gameplan on Richmond's against the best team in the competition in an interstate game. Not only that he telegraphed it. Nuff said.

If he had a brain he would look at the Adelaide team and say, gee their highest draft pick was a reject picked up at # 7 from Carlton. Perhaps they must be doing something right on the field.

Adelaide play like a disciplined team and play like winners. I really do not think our talent is any worse than theirs on paper. If we played like a team we might actually have a reputation and would not have to listen to Dermie blatantly slag off a talented player like Hale for the whole game.

Michele said:
The majority of posters on this thread overlook conveniently overlook a couple of very umportant issues.

North - when not playing in Grand Finals - played in Prelim finals.

That meant, although we did very, very well in a competitive sense, we were unable to draft GOOD new talent, unlike St Kilda (whose current team is based on draft picks and Geelong has been to get quite a few under the father-son rule.

So now, when we are at the other end of the ladder, it doesn't suit some of the supporters.

OH YOU POOR LITTLE DEARS!

I am absolutely certain that Laidley, other coaches, players, board and committte people jumped on the plane back to Melbourne, patted each other on the back and said what a great job they had done.

And to top it off, their playing/gym room equipment have been destroyed.

According to a news report, Arch was at Arden St today and is said to be devasted.

And all you idiots can do is jump on the net and bag the coach.

AND if Carey does coach North in the future for similar or slightly better result, will you also call for his head - the greatest player to play the game and certainly the greatest at North:mad:

Back off Michelle.

I have every right to criticise Laidley. I didn't do it thoughtlessly or unfairly and I am not an idiot. As a paid up member AND supporter, I can have my say.

It had nothing to do with the fire which is devastating to all NMFC fans and it has nothing to do with Carey!!

And I have not conveniently forgotten anything!!

It is all quite simple, Michelle. It isn't about losing or sticking with the team through hard times. It is about playing the bloody game of football in a way that is worth watching.

Now do not go questioning how much I love this club because that is BS. The NMFC has been through a lot and I have been there for the ride. I am still there but if I think that we are being taken up the wrong path, I am not going to keep my mouth shut just because I have to be loyal as per your standard.

I loved Dean as a player and have tried to support him up until this season but it is painfully obvious that the guy has no idea!! He is fixated on a style of play that we are not up to executing either due to lack of skill or lack of committment by players. Regardless of which, shouldn't the coach be playing the BEST game plan he can devise using the players he has at his disposal and not trying to force the players to adopt a game plan that he thinks we should play.

EG We have a big, solid full forward and another big solid guy in the two's who can kick a mile....USE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It isn't rocket science, it isn't even slightly mysterious.

Kangaroolz said:
Back off Michelle.

I have every right to criticise Laidley. I didn't do it thoughtlessly or unfairly and I am not an idiot. As a paid up member AND supporter, I can have my say.

It had nothing to do with the fire which is devastating to all NMFC fans and it has nothing to do with Carey!!

And I have not conveniently forgotten anything!!

It is all quite simple, Michelle. It isn't about losing or sticking with the team through hard times. It is about playing the bloody game of football in a way that is worth watching.

Now do not go questioning how much I love this club because that is BS. The NMFC has been through a lot and I have been there for the ride. I am still there but if I think that we are being taken up the wrong path, I am not going to keep my mouth shut just because I have to be loyal as per your standard.

I loved Dean as a player and have tried to support him up until this season but it is painfully obvious that the guy has no idea!! He is fixated on a style of play that we are not up to executing either due to lack of skill or lack of committment by players. Regardless of which, shouldn't the coach be playing the BEST game plan he can devise using the players he has at his disposal and not trying to force the players to adopt a game plan that he thinks we should play.

EG We have a big, solid full forward and another big solid guy in the two's who can kick a mile....USE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It isn't rocket science, it isn't even slightly mysterious.

The kangaroo style of play is crap, I would rather see them beaten by 100pts every week than play that negetive crap they do.
When I played first thought was to look forward, now it seems like its look backwards.
Whats wrong with kicking to a contest, thats why you have players getting to the fall of the ball( or should have)
They cant make the finals, the style of play does not work, its time for a change or its time for Dean to go

We may as well try a whole heap of different gameplans and trying out the kids because whats the incentive to finish 9th over 14th besides pride.

We have young kids with limited senior experience, why not give them ago and see if they are apart of the plans for 07 and beyond.

the fact is im sure many supporters would rather see us have a dip and get pumped then an honourable loss not learning anything about ourselves and our future direction.

We have to identify our strengths and weaknesses which can hopefully minimise our stay down the bottom.

We have to plan for the future and it starts now.

I support the roos through thick and thin.

Adeleide did worse to Geelong not long ago than they did to us. They tried hard, were came up short against the best team in the league on their home ground.

We're having a bad year, pure and simple. Every team does. Stay true to the blue and white and better times will come. We're playing young player who will improve with time. Swallow looked great.

I support Laid's and the team and things will improve.

gokangas said:
Sorry Moomba - I don't accept that premise. Churn of 20%+ - no way.

We increased our membership tally from last year though.

A lot of other clubs didn't.

The Zebra said:
We increased our membership tally from last year though.

A lot of other clubs didn't.

Fair point, except I am always suspicious of those late bursts of new memberships just before numbers close (not just Kangas) that all of a sudden mean we have a new record. The fact is we had more than 5000 who didn't renew.

Interesting thread.

The question of our style of play rears its head this week because it was probably most pronounced against Adelaide but has often had a look in this year, even on occasions when we were controlling a game (i.e. Melbourne).

The supreme optimist would struggle to see Laidley coaching Round 22 in 2007 however, I for one will hold over any post mortem until after the last game this year.

And yes, the Adelaide game and game plan blew big time.

gokangas said:
Sorry Moomba - I don't accept that premise. Churn of 20%+ - no way.

I posted this a while ago, it was from a study done by Hawthorn and the Dept of Communications, Information Technology and the Arts.

http://www.dcita.gov.au/ie/publicati..._report/case06

Membership of the HFC, and other AFL clubs, is a year at a time for most members. Therefore, the HFC must approach all existing members every year to rejoin and, possibly to upgrade the level of their membership. In addition, the HFC must undertake a range of marketing activities to enrol new members. The churn rate of members from year to year is around 25%. This means that 25% of members typically do not rejoin in the following year. This level varies from year to year, but is believed to be typical of all Melbourne-based AFL clubs in recent years.

In the same post I quoted a 16.4% churn rate for the 1995 season (figures from the AFL website), I posted at the time that this was weighted fairly heavily in favour of the interstate sides. At Adelaide if you give up your ST you basically give up your rights to go to games in the immediate future. For most Melbourne based clubs you can give up your membership one year, get it back the next without much of a fuss.

moomba said:
I posted this a while ago, it was from a study done by Hawthorn and the Dept of Communications, Information Technology and the Arts.

http://www.dcita.gov.au/ie/publicati..._report/case06

In the same post I quoted a 16.4% churn rate for the 1995 season (figures from the AFL website), I posted at the time that this was weighted fairly heavily in favour of the interstate sides. At Adelaide if you give up your ST you basically give up your rights to go to games in the immediate future. For most Melbourne based clubs you can give up your membership one year, get it back the next without much of a fuss.

Statistics and damn statistics - I don't believe it. 20% churn? Nope. Not doubting your word that you saw the report - just don't accept that 5000 members drop off each year and 5000 more join.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

moomba said:
Well seeing as you are making a statistical argument (ie less than 20% of members fail to renew) I would have thought that statistics are pretty important consideration.

You are correct - just I see it but I don't believe it.

gokangas said:
Statistics and damn statistics - I don't believe it. 20% churn? Nope. Not doubting your word that you saw the report - just don't accept that 5000 members drop off each year and 5000 more join.

Yep, damn stats. Back to the point, main problem with Laidley (my theory) is his over reliance on stats. His logic seems to be: if we keep possession, and control the ball into the forward line, win in all the key statistical areas (kicks, marks, inside 50s, centre clearances….you know the ones), then at the end of the day, we should win. But we don’t.

I can’t doubt the man’s passion & commitment, but he is not taking into consideration the “human” element. He can treat the players like chess pieces, but if doesn’t allow them to show a bit of flair, confidence in themselves & their team mates, then they may well fail at the crucial times (eg. In front of gaol). I don’t think Laidley inspires the team, and by focusing too much on stats, doesn’t have a good rapport with players on a personal level.

Still not sure if he should be sacked, but there comes a point when he may be hurting careers...

sbdan said:
Yep, damn stats. Back to the point, main problem with Laidley (my theory) is his over reliance on stats. His logic seems to be: if we keep possession, and control the ball into the forward line, win in all the key statistical areas (kicks, marks, inside 50s, centre clearances….you know the ones), then at the end of the day, we should win. But we don’t.

The stats also formed part of the basis of Laidley's recruiting policy. He analysed Premiership sides and worked out the game experience of the team, and the structure of the sides - hence why he has been after KPPs with experience in Rawlings, Thompson, and Hay.

sbdan said:
I can’t doubt the man’s passion & commitment, but he is not taking into consideration the “human” element. He can treat the players like chess pieces, but if doesn’t allow them to show a bit of flair, confidence in themselves & their team mates, then they may well fail at the crucial times (eg. In front of gaol). I don’t think Laidley inspires the team, and by focusing too much on stats, doesn’t have a good rapport with players on a personal level.

Actually, I do think that Laidley puts a lot of confidence in his senior players, hence why we scream every Thursday and Friday when we see the team changes. But he doesn't seem to back the kids as much. He likes to ease them into senior footy, and probably doesn't give them enough responsibility.

I would like to see him take a few more risks with the kids. Without being critical of the senior players, but they are professionals, and they probably do play with a little less passion that in their early days. But the kids are the ones that can generate enthusiasm.

sbdan said:
Still not sure if he should be sacked, but there comes a point when he may be hurting careers...
Firstly, we don't know whether Laidley has a good rapport with the players or not.You'd have to be a club insider to know that otherwise its just speculation.And I'm not going to bag Laidley the player or person because I think its irrelevant, and just plain not right.But he does have some issues with his coaching and he has made decisions that have turned out badly and like every one else in any walk of life, he needs to be held accountable for those.

For a start, the style of game he keeps trying to implement is just flat out not working.End of story.We don't have the players to do it.But Laidleys had 4 years to build the team he wants and has been cruelled by young-uns always injured, players who simply just haven't come on, and some stupid drafting decisions of his own.Secondly, to be arrogantly demanding people sign up cos "the players are doing their part" is the most laughable thing I've heard.I'd love to know where they're doing their part, certainly isn't on the field.Also, he hasn't brought anyone along.Guys like Harris and Wells would be good no matter what club they went to and the skill level of some of the players that have been on the list 5-8 years is as appalling now as it was when they started.And that also has to come down to him.You'd love to blame a whole array of things because of the way he bled for the club when he played, but unfdortunately the buck stops with the coach.And thats something he must've known would be clearly outlined in the job description.

I don't think he's a terrible coach, just not the coach for the Kangaroos at this point in time.

gokangas said:

i'm a first time member :thumbsu:

bad year, eh? :eek:

Hard to argue that. No need to let a thing like our position on the ladder come into it either. :rolleyes: There is no way, no matter how you look at it, that Dean has been coaching the side well.

If he was playing 4-5 more kids instead of these washed up useless 24 year olds, then it might be forgivable. But as long as he is picking these same players every week and getting very little experience into our kids then he is doing a terrible job.

Must go. Now.

Well what you think now YOTR? His playing the kids more often. Would yous till keep him?

Well what you think now YOTR? His playing the kids more often. Would yous till keep him?
We have just finished a pre-season comp. I don't want to get carried away with praising him in case he does what I fear he will do and play Green, Sansbury and Brown instead of Riggio, Trotter and Moran when the real stuff starts next week.

To be honest, I would have liked to see him blood some more kids during the pre-season.

We have just finished a pre-season comp. I don't want to get carried away with praising him in case he does what I fear he will do and play Green, Sansbury and Brown instead of Riggio, Trotter and Moran when the real stuff starts next week.

To be honest, I would have liked to see him blood some more kids during the pre-season.

Yeh well we do have this week to blood the kids where he can rest the old blokes.

Yeh well we do have this week to blood the kids where he can rest the old blokes.

Not sure how much resting we can afford to do, our gameplan and skills still need a lot of work and we have 2 practice matches to get that right before the real stuff starts.

Not sure how much resting we can afford to do, our gameplan and skills still need a lot of work and we have 2 practice matches to get that right before the real stuff starts.

Well rest thommo, sansbury and brown and bring in the other boys. Plus we are allowed 28 players for a practise match

Remove this Banner Ad

Its time to go Laidley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back