Roast I've lost my faith in Chris Davies

Remove this Banner Ad

It's just not something you'd ever say even with a terrible list. This regime absolutely loves to preload excuses for players and team performance, stripping away belief in the process. Maybe it works on some players who want to prove you wrong, but I think it's fair to say that our mental preparation has been absolutely horrendous over the last decade.

The team should only ever hear that they're good enough to beat anyone if they work hard and execute.
Pretty much.

You have to be realistic but you should be constantly talking up your list within reason.

IIRC both Kenny Average and Chris 'No Idea' Davies called into question the list mid season. They didn't outright pan it but they did what they usually do and hedged all bets with jargon and nothing really to say but implying the list wasn't good enough.

Most of the time they do this because they don't have any skills in determining where the team and players are at.

The only time they are confident is when things are plainly obvious to all such as last year, Davies mid year talking about needing a KPD in the age bracket of the team. He said it with a benign confidence but if he had any real knowledge, he would know why that happened in the first place.

As you've said Scorched One, the preloading of excuses is just not conducive to good administration and coaching and sends the wrong message to the players.

It's like after the Showdown, instead of enjoying the win, Koch was basically auditioning for AFL house with the rubbish came out with.

Its finals and we are half a chance. Lets play a straight bat.

"I don't know why we aren't competing at the level we believe we can, but we are sure that this list is capable of doing it"

is the same as

"our list may or may not be good enough, but even if it’s not, there’s no excuse for the way we are currently playing"

I think its easy to over-interpret what is said and read way too much into it.
We are extremely good at that :tearsofjoy:

Caro reporting Collingwood have approached Davies to replace Graham Wright.

Wonder if we have anyone in mind to replace him, it's hardly a surprise.

And no, not Cam Sutcliffe. ;)

Caro reporting Collingwood have approached Davies to replace Graham Wright.

This isn't just Caro spouting what CD wants the media to put out into the public realm.

I was made aware over the weekend from someone in the media not connected to Caro (ie different sources) that Collingwood had zeroed in on targeting a footy boss with extensive experience who is used to the pressure of working in a fishbowl. Didn't take much to realise who they had in mind.

Chris has been trying to get out for over a year now. He's good at his job, but moving him on and bringing in a fresh set of eyes will disrupt the hierarchical structure within the footy department right now and that can only be considered a good thing.

This isn't just Caro spouting what CD wants the media to put out into the public realm.

I was made aware over the weekend from someone in the media not connected to Caro (ie different sources) that Collingwood had zeroed in on targeting a footy boss with extensive experience who is used to the pressure of working in a fishbowl. Didn't take much to realise who they had in mind.

Chris has been trying to get out for over a year now. He's good at his job, but moving him on and bringing in a fresh set of eyes will disrupt the hierarchical structure within the footy department right now and that can only be considered a good thing.
You also said Marshall done for the year but News outlets saying Marshall playing this week ;)

You also said Marshall done for the year but News outlets saying Marshall playing this week ;)

I didn't say he was done for the year at all.
I just said I wouldn't be putting money on him playing this week.

Hopefully their search will extend beyond the corridors of the Allan Scott HQ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahh so they are looking bring him?…

Interestingly if he was to leave we would want to target a footy boss with extensive experience who is used to working in a fishbowl.

As for disrupting the existing structures - isn’t that was Tredders gives us ?

( and wasn’t the inside word that Ken’s getting replaced unless he pretty much wins a flag )

Change in the footy dept sounds great until you realise there's a non zero chance of chadbro getting the promotion.

Interestingly if he was to leave we would want to target a footy boss with extensive experience who is used to working in a fishbowl.

( and wasn’t the inside word that Ken’s getting replaced unless he pretty much wins a flag )

At the end of the day Tredrea is merely one voice on a footy committee. Sure, he can ask questions of CD and the structures in place, but there needs to be more than one voice asking these questions when it comes to changing the way the footy department is run.

If they go out in straight sets Ken is done. A loss in the prelim would see some robust discussions take place at footy committee level (it is them, not the Board who are in charge of Ken's future). I'd be surprised if he got sacked after a grand final loss unless West Coast came with a five year deal, in which case a mutual parting of ways would be very much on the cards because Port wouldn't come close to matching such an offer.

Gossip Girl might have farked up tonight in an attempt to be first with the news, and give her good mate Chris Davies a leg up.

From about 1.05 she says Collingwood has approached Chris Davies to take over as head of footy, (Graham Wright after his 10 months or so sabbatical, told Collingwopod a week or so ago, that he's not returning as GM Football, most of the role has been filled by Brendon Bolton who has also been doing his normal assistant coaching job), then backs off and says no conversation will take place until after Port's season.

Then puts another caveat on it by saying "if Collingwood are in a hurry I guess he might not go........"

Even considering the risks of falling into a post hoc fallacy, it may all be only coincidences, but it’s really hard not to believe that Tredrea’s arrival has a significant impact on this.

“Time’s up. Better go.”

It's just not something you'd ever say even with a terrible list. This regime absolutely loves to preload excuses for players and team performance, stripping away belief in the process. Maybe it works on some players who want to prove you wrong, but I think it's fair to say that our mental preparation has been absolutely horrendous over the last decade.

The team should only ever hear that they're good enough to beat anyone if they work hard and execute.
Agreed, its been said a number of times by more than one ex player how good John Cahill was at giving them the belief they were better than their opponent.

The difference between his `mental preparation' for the team and the individuals that were in it on any given day were chalk and cheese compared to kern's continued use of get out clauses, which sometimes included a bit of un-necessary and over the top buttering up of the oppo as well.

Luko is the best man.
I caught up with a close mate of mine on Sunday whose brother is also in Rozee's bridal party.
Needless to say, Connor is doing everything possible to get Luko to join Port.

Mods - might want to move some of these posts to the list management thread.

Many of these have been used on bucks shows, but normally they go on the bucks ankle. Perhaps Connor can flip the script and throw SPP the key:
1725320880471.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast I've lost my faith in Chris Davies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back