Roast I've lost my faith in Chris Davies

Remove this Banner Ad

People will argue he's had a horror 10 years at Port but its hard to know how much of a say he's had in everything over that period.

The last 12 months though have really been arguably the worst run footy department in AFL history outside of Essendon's Hird era:
1. August deadline that pushed our coaches to burn the list during the season and make any sort of run at September impossible
2. Sold our future first rounder and Duursma for fringe players, some of whom we could have gotten for free, to go "all in" on a season in which we aren't even close to the main contenders anyway.
3. Extended the least successful coach in AFL/VFL history for two years while under zero pressure to do so (this largely came down to point 1 but does deserve to be mentioned separately).
4. Again failed to hire a senior assistant coach, or provide any sort of useful experienced addition to the coaching or development staff from outside the club, leaving us with the football version of a 12 year old driving a ferrari.

Anyone involved with any of this should be gone.

Also just in case anyone misinterprets it, I do think Esava, BZT, Soldo and Sweet are all good additions (though the last two probably wouldn't have been needed if we had just developed Hayes).

My issue though, in particular with Esava, is that it should have been as simple as: "Ok here's a future third, take it or we take him through the draft". Geelong decided to see just how much they could take the piss out of us by saying they wanted a first rounder for a fringe defender with obvious deficiencies who had been trying to leave for two years and we are the only club in Australia that would have even entertained that nonsense.

Why would Richmond want to hire Davies after what has happened here?
shq.gif

Also just in case anyone misinterprets it, I do think Esava, BZT, Soldo and Sweet are all good additions (though the last two probably wouldn't have been needed if we had just developed Hayes).

My issue though, in particular with Esava, is that it should have been as simple as: "Ok here's a future third, take it or we take him through the draft". Geelong decided to see just how much they could take the piss out of us by saying they wanted a first rounder for a fringe defender with obvious deficiencies who had been trying to leave for two years and we are the only club in Australia that would have even entertained that nonsense.
In hindsight we would've been better off taking just Sweet and BZT on the (relative) cheap and keeping the first rounder. Esava may not even be best 22, and Soldo is probably a bit better than Sweet but not by anywhere near enough to justify the price we spent on him when we have Visentini waiting in the wings as well.

In hindsight we would've been better off taking just Sweet and BZT on the (relative) cheap and keeping the first rounder. Esava may not even be best 22, and Soldo is probably a bit better than Sweet but not by anywhere near enough to justify the price we spent on him when we have Visentini waiting in the wings as well.
Yes this would have been better but my point is that we would have taken all of them and kept the first rounder if we were competent.

Yes this would have been better but my point is that we would have taken all of them and kept the first rounder if we were competent.
Not Soldo. He was contracted.

And I reckon Hawthorn would have taken Esava in the PSD before us, but I'd still have preferred that outcome than spending our first rounder on him.

Not Soldo. He was contracted.

And I reckon Hawthorn would have taken Esava in the PSD before us, but I'd still have preferred that outcome than spending our first rounder on him.
It gets complicated due to the split of the pick, but I'm sure we had enough capital to get Soldo across without giving up a first rounder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is just the annual "Chris pumping his own tyres by dropping a few rumours"

Remember when he was off to the AFL? This is just out of the Hinkley playbook. He'll be here forever.

If this happens we'll soon be running out of offices down the corridor to source the best candidates for the job from.
This.

Unfortunately with the same people at the helm still, we are very much at risk of this. Richo will just seek to appoint Jordy.

It gets complicated due to the split of the pick, but I'm sure we had enough capital to get Soldo across without giving up a first rounder.
Depends if they would have taken our 2024 2nd instead of Freo's (which would have actually been a good move for them in hindsight, but nobody would have expected that at the time).

Even then, I'd rather have just bypassed him. Sweet came cheap and is good enough to act as a stopgap until Visentini is ready. We don't need two stopgaps.

That would work in a perfect world where injuries don't happen. We needed to find some depth in those positions.

That would work in a perfect world where injuries don't happen. We needed to find some depth in those positions.
Keep Hayes or draft some equivalent bloke from the state league. You don't need to spend a second rounder and multiple third rounders to get a depth player.

I probably think we spent too much on our summer haul but the bigger crime for Davies is allowing our list to get in a position where we felt we had to.

The lack of tall development is absolutely shocking. That's 100% within his remit given it takes into account recruitment, development and performance, and it's completely unforgivable. To have been a footy ops manager for 10 years and to have to throw so much player and draft capital at a list hole at a time you're supposed to be competing is just incompetent.

We did try both Hayes and Teakle but neither were any good.

The problem with our ruck division was that Lycett was a low ceiling ruck who didn't mesh well with our midfield and was injured all the time. I think bringing Sweet in with Hayes and Vis as his understudies would have been fine. Certainly better value than getting 2 starter level players that can't really play at the same time.

The only trade in the off season I thought was not the best was basically two 2nd rounders for a 28 year old, injury prone, back up ruck man. I like Soldo but a 2nd Rounder was enough.

I think the List Guy were a bit desparado.

We did try both Hayes and Teakle but neither were any good.
Depth players usually aren't. That's why they're depth players. Still wasn't an efficient use of resources. You don't use first rounders to get decent depth.

Roast I've lost my faith in Chris Davies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back