Jacinta Allan - How long can she keep the wool over the populist eyes

Remove this Banner Ad

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan were separately sent detailed evidence in 2022 that CFMEU officials were threatening extreme violence and unlawfully black-banning non-union-preferred firms from state and federally funded projects.

A letter from the directors of an Indigenous labour-hire firm, which was emailed to Allan in April 2022 when she was Victorian deputy premier, details serious threats of extreme violence, intimidation and unlawful union black bans on the federal and state-funded Monash Freeway upgrade project run by major contractor CPB.

Government documents reveal that Allan, who was Victoria’s infrastructure minister at the time, took a year to respond and, even then, insisted industrial relations were a federal issue and suggested a call to state bureaucrats if there were any other concerns. After waiting six months for a reply, the company in frustration also sent the letter to the prime minister, Anthony Albanese, in October 2022.

Ms Allan was told many times.

Also, the CFMEU can just give the money to Trades Hall who then give that money to the ALP.

The CFMEU are the Australian Labor Party. Quite literally. In a way that no organisation is a part of another major political party in Australia (except other unions and the ALP).

Last edited:

Also, the CFMEU can just give the money to Trades Hall who then give that money to the ALP.

The CFMEU are the Australian Labor Party. Quite literally. In a way that no organisation is a part of another major political party in Australia (except fossil fuel companies and the LNP).

FTFY (bolded)

But your point stands - it brings to mind my favourite political quote, from the late, great Robin Williams:

Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them.

It's why Feb 1 each year, when the political donations are publicised, is this country's most important day from a 'democracy' perspective; not election days.

Last edited:
FTFY

But your point stands - it brings to mind my favourite political quote, from the late, great Robin Williams:

It's why Feb 1 each year, when the political donations are publicised, is this country's most important day from a 'democracy' perspective; not election days.

The fossil fuel companies don't have a section of the vote preserved for them in internal elections. You can argue till the cows come home about influence, but the ALP is the political wing of the union movement. A percentage of any internal election is reserved for not card carrying, fee-paying party members but union elected delegates. The unions are part of the building fabric of the ALP - it's not the same as influence. It'd be like saying the South Australian Cricket Association "influences" the Australian Cricket Board: no, they have a vote at the table. It's different.

The CFMEU are the Australian Labor Party. Quite literally. In a way that no organisation is a part of another major political party in Australia (except other unions and the ALP).

Not to go whattabout, but the sync between Murdoch press an the LNP during elections is remarkable if there’s no actual close link

OK I went whattabout, but I don’t agree with your statement

The fossil fuel companies don't have a section of the vote preserved for them in internal elections. You can argue till the cows come home about influence, but the ALP is the political wing of the union movement. A percentage of any internal election is reserved for not card carrying, fee-paying party members but union elected delegates. The unions are part of the building fabric of the ALP - it's not the same as influence. It'd be like saying the South Australian Cricket Association "influences" the Australian Cricket Board: no, they have a vote at the table. It's different.
Yes the influence in the ALP is much more formalised. LNP probably not as transparent. That's not to say influence in ALP is transparent in absolute terms though.

"Allan is facing backlash over claims she was sent evidence about the CFMEU’s unlawful behaviour back in 2022 by an Indigenous Labour Hire firm."

Yes the influence in the ALP is much more formalised. LNP probably not as transparent. That's not to say influence in ALP is transparent in absolute terms though.

It's not much more formalised. It's structural. There is no ALP without the Union Movement. They are it's political wing, created to represent their interests. This is not an opinion - I am reporting.

Everyone knows that?
I studied Australian Politics in Year 12 many moons ago, and I knew this!

Haven't you ever wondered why ALP governments are dominated by ex union officials? Or why so much funding comes from the unions?

"The ALP was created by the labour movement and unions affiliated to it have traditionally dominated the party machine. They retain a prominent role in the party’s formal decision-making processes as well as in its more informal structures. In particular, through their position in the party’s system of highly organized factions, they have been able to have a significant behind-the-scenes role, particularly in areas such as the selection of candidates for elected office, in the allocation of ministerial portfolios, and in leadership contests."

I studied Australian Politics in Year 12 many moons ago, and I knew this!

Haven't you ever wondered why ALP governments are dominated by ex union officials? Or why so much funding comes from the unions?

"The ALP was created by the labour movement and unions affiliated to it have traditionally dominated the party machine. They retain a prominent role in the party’s formal decision-making processes as well as in its more informal structures. In particular, through their position in the party’s system of highly organized factions, they have been able to have a significant behind-the-scenes role, particularly in areas such as the selection of candidates for elected office, in the allocation of ministerial portfolios, and in leadership contests."

So are unions left wing? I’d say instinctively they are not, just an organization looking after stakeholders interest

So are unions left wing? I’d say instinctively they are not, just an organization looking after stakeholders interest
I think it depends on which union, just like the factions within the ALP are at different points on the "compass".
Wikipedia described the CFMEU as "one of the most powerful unions in the Labor Left faction of the Australian Labor Party".

The CFMEU, particularly the Victorian construction branch, is militant left-wing while the AWU is aligned to Labor's right factions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What an incredible trail blazing leader is our Jacinta. "My government is the only one in Australia to introduce laws to outlaw criminal activity in unions and on work sites" and "I have no hesitation acting on complaints"

Two written complaints about the CFMEU sent to Jacinta in 2022 were parked, ignored and eventually read by Jacinta 12 months later when she handballed them to the federal government and construction companies, even though the complaints related to Big Build projects.

Finally she stressed in her press conference that she has zero tolerance for thuggish behaviour on constructions sites. What she meant to say was "Only when it is forced on me do I have no tolerance for thuggish behaviour". Was it not for Nick McKenzie's investigation our Jacinta would be doing nothing even though she was aware of the issues.

Last edited:
I won’t be voting for the Labor party in its current form, nor the Libs.

It’s a sad state of affairs when you can’t find any redeeming qualities in either major party.
The only decent way of dealing with this is to vote for a party who gives their preferences to the lnp.

Following the debt and irreparable damage this government will leave Victorian tax payers with, followed by this CFMEU saga which demonstrates the corruption of the Labor government, there is no way anyone but rusted on Labor lifers would vote for them in any way at the next election.

Voters have complete control over their preferences. They can go wherever you want them to go regardless of which box you put a "1" in.
The problem is that in the majority of electorates, the only realistic options are the two majors. You can certainly send a message by voting elsewhere but you know full well you have to choose between the major two when listing preferences.

The problem is that in the majority of electorates, the only realistic options are the two majors. You can certainly send a message by voting elsewhere but you know full well you have to choose between the major two when listing preferences.

If you have to list all the candidates in order of preference, then one has to be preferred to the other. Better than FPTP, more efficient that run off elections... a small price to pay IMO.

Which was the current teal held seats until recently….but then you see the long term drifting of the incumbent party vote in safe seats

There’s rusted on Y voters and then there’s ‘I’ll never vote for major X’ vote which probably overlap, but there’s a lot of wriggle room between

In Kooyong twice as many green voters from previous as labor switched tactically to teal. So even green is affected, as teal will e going forward
And once it comes down to the last two candidates, the ones who preferenced the other aren’t known or in effect

Last edited:
If you have to list all the candidates in order of preference, then one has to be preferred to the other. Better than FPTP, more efficient that run off elections... a small price to pay IMO.
Yes but Victoria's preference system is bollocks

Yes but Victoria's preference system is bollocks

In the lower house it is the same as everywhere else

In the upper house voters can still number every box and therefore retain total control over their preferences

But group voting tickets should be abolished, and Victoria is the only state that has them now (for those who don't know, in the Victorian upper house if you number only one box above the line, the party you voted for then gets to direct your preferences).

My strong advice to all voters in Victoria: number every box in the Legislative Council.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jacinta Allan - How long can she keep the wool over the populist eyes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back