Player Watch #?: Jack Darling - has officially requested to be traded to NM on a two-year deal. Pick 64 is expected to be tabled.

Remove this Banner Ad

True. But I don’t blame them.

I’ve got season 2025 left in me. If we can’t win 6 games plus, I think I’ll be done.
You didn't experience from 1976 to 1996?

Bloody hell

The entire 80s, early 90s

I had accepted that I would never see North play in a grand final let alone win a premiership

Watching us play Geelong in 94 , 26 points up in the second qtr ,WTF I'm going to see us play a grand final

The devastation

But then 96

Devastation of 98

Hang in there

Harry George Colby Nick Zane Charlie will LDU etal plus 10 average run of the mill AFL players will get us there again

I get that you’re probably being facetious but here are the last 10 years of pick 64:
2023 Reece Torrent
2022 No player taken
2021 Cooper Whyte
2020 No player taken
2019 Leo Connolly
2018 Lachlan Sholl
2017 Nick Shipley
2016 Dion Johnstone
2015 Yestin Eades
2014 No player taken

I can honestly say I don’t remember any of these players, it truly is a nothing pick. If we use it to buy some experience and leadership for a couple of years then it is worth a lot more to us than using it at the draft.
IIRC Lachlan Sholl had a night out against us for the Crows, winning the Kerridge that week. At the time there was the usual Bigfooty gnashing of teeth along the lines of "He's Craig Sholl's nephew and was right under our noses, why didn't we draft this bloke?"

You didn't experience from 1976 to 1996?

Bloody hell

The entire 80s, early 90s

I had accepted that I would never see North play in a grand final let alone win a premiership

Watching us play Geelong in 94 , 26 points up in the second qtr ,WTF I'm going to see us play a grand final

The devastation

But then 96

Devastation of 98

Hang in there

Harry George Colby Nick Zane Charlie will LDU etal plus 10 average run of the mill AFL players will get us there again

I started following north as a 9 year old in 1992. So I was there for the entire 90’s.

We wouldn’t be here if not for that period of footy, off the back of fluking the greatest player of all time in a steak knives trade.

I was at the agm in 07, and we wouldn’t be here without a bottom 3 to top 3 swing of the ladder.

We really do need to get a wriggle on because I’m not sure lighting can strike thrice

IIRC Lachlan Sholl had a night out against us for the Crows, winning the Kerridge that week. At the time there was the usual Bigfooty gnashing of teeth along the lines of "He's Craig Sholl's nephew and was right under our noses, why didn't we draft this bloke?"
Had 29 and kicked 1 against us in Hobart this year.

I started following north as a 9 year old in 1992. So I was there for the entire 90’s.

We wouldn’t be here if not for that period of footy, off the back of fluking the greatest player of all time in a steak knives trade.

I was at the agm in 07, and we wouldn’t be here without a bottom 3 to top 3 swing of the ladder.

We really do need to get a wriggle on because I’m not sure lighting can strike thrice
Imagine following North as as a 5yo from the first colour grand final on an AWA 20" in 1975 and having to wait 21 years to see another North GF in 96

Taking my 3 kids aged 2 4 and 6 to the 99 GF

Yes I was their at Dallas Brooks hall that night in 07

abused that fat **** Patrick Smith from The Age who was sitting in the row in frt of me
shock his hand afterwards and said respected him turning up in person

We spoke for 10 minutes and he told me what the AFL had really tried to do to eliminate us

drove for 12 hrs to Sydney for that QF win with my kids in 2014? and then driving 42 hrs to Perth to see Ben Jacobs get his legs taken out in ..2014 15 16 to cost us a GF berth

Wouldn't change a thing

Will enjoy our next GF win with my now early mid 20s kids when it occurs in 2025 26 27 28

It willhapoen

View attachment 2114465

I do hope he brings something tangible that lasts after he's gone. Otherwise it is just another 2 yrs not put into a young forward.
I expect his second year to be mainly vfl when Finnbar is ready or a newly drafted or traded in forward next year

As for next year it’s pink he’s keeping out so that’s a huge upgrade

Wouldn’t surprise me if darling ends up our forwards coach post the 2 years

If you know where they currently have this kid hidden under a rock, tied up and at the bottom of a cave…then go and get him…😂 but l get the concern with all things north related.
Pick 64 will be spent on some kid from Rural WA hidden under a NGA that had been excluded from playing Colts and instead been tearing up the Central Great Southern League for Tambellup kicking 100 goals and should have been a first rounder

Well reading through the last 24 pages…wow my head hurts and the general mood l get from some of these posts is

0C3AD265-602E-4230-85DB-831CD3E5E867.gif

Am l over the moon…no…but looking at the position he is being brought in to do over a two year period and assist larkey, Comben ect in the fwd line ….great.
l hope he screams and yells and tells them which bloody way to run ..good. If it gives them time to learn and takes the triple team off Nick..tick.
Do l expect him to set the world on fire…nope.
Is he going to probably not.
If he can make help create options in the fwd line tick
Drag an opponent tick
Barrel / run through some opposing backs…tick
If he can kick 20 goals as a min tick…any more bonus…(that’s adding to what we currently have)
Drag teammates in preparation at training tick ( durability equals someone who’s not cutting corners)

All for pick Pick 64…. A junk pick…free swing .

We can argue until the sun comes up..
but l heard a good conversation between Kane, Johnson and Healy..tonight the unholy trinity 🤢. Kane was quick to sink in with why him why not someone younger, a young gws player who’s a key fwd, and conveniently gave no names.
Johnson and to my shock even Healy ….name some Kane …which young KPD ….to utter silence…then riccard was tossed out.( not happening as far as l know ) And ignored by the other two. Followed byJohnson stating you have no idea who was on their list and who they approached.
They would have Done their homework.
They might have had 10 names on the list, approached the other 9 and he was number 10. …more silence then topic changed to l think ports…

Just interesting….

However Jacks in the north jumper and so I’ll support him ….and if he sticks out the 2 years, plays most games and can achieve the small things I’ve thought about above …then that’s more we got from that abnoxious ice bath of a brat who packed up and left when the tough got going. Think about that.
Welcome to North Jack.

Last edited:
I'm 62 I can remember watching North in the late 60's and early 70's. We were terrible. I think it was 1972 or '73 and we beat Carlton at Princes Park who had won the flag in 1970 and '72. It was like a premiership for us. Two years later in 1974 we were playing off in the Grand Final with Barassi as coach. The following year I was at the Grand Final with my Dad. He bought a couple of tickets off scalpers before the game. It was one of the happiest days of my life to be there when we won our first VFL Premiership. I barrack for the Roos because of my Dad of course. He and Mum were Irish immigrants who came to Australia in the 1950's. Dad got a job driving trams and as did many of the Irish in those days, and they were mostly either North or St Kilda supporters. Fortunately Dad chose North! Yes the last few years have been putrid, but the sun rises again tomorrow morning, and we still have a team to support. It will turn, the plethora of young talent will eventually turn the wheel in our favour again. Hopefully the experience and support Darling and Parker (please come to North🙏) will see us beginning to bear fruit in 2025.

I get that you’re probably being facetious but here are the last 10 years of pick 64:
2023 Reece Torrent
2022 No player taken
2021 Cooper Whyte
2020 No player taken
2019 Leo Connolly
2018 Lachlan Sholl
2017 Nick Shipley
2016 Dion Johnstone
2015 Yestin Eades
2014 No player taken

I can honestly say I don’t remember any of these players, it truly is a nothing pick. If we use it to buy some experience and leadership for a couple of years then it is worth a lot more to us than using it at the draft.
Yestin? Ye gods.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2023 Reece Torrent
2022 No player taken
2021 Cooper Whyte
2020 No player taken
2019 Leo Connolly
2018 Lachlan Sholl
2017 Nick Shipley
2016 Dion Johnstone
2015 Yestin Eades
2014 No player taken

Nick Shipley has put on a kgs and is now trying to get his tour card on the PGA Tour.

Imagine following North as as a 5yo from the first colour grand final on an AWA 20" in 1975 and having to wait 21 years to see another North GF in 96

Taking my 3 kids aged 2 4 and 6 to the 99 GF

Yes I was their at Dallas Brooks hall that night in 07

abused that fat **** Patrick Smith from The Age who was sitting in the row in frt of me
shock his hand afterwards and said respected him turning up in person

We spoke for 10 minutes and he told me what the AFL had really tried to do to eliminate us

drove for 12 hrs to Sydney for that QF win with my kids in 2014? and then driving 42 hrs to Perth to see Ben Jacobs get his legs taken out in ..2014 15 16 to cost us a GF berth

Wouldn't change a thing

Will enjoy our next GF win with my now early mid 20s kids when it occurs in 2025 26 27 28

It willhapoen

1977? We had a 19 year gap between flags. Our current streak is 25 years and we haven't even made it to a grand final in that time, let alone won one.

Also if we don't make a GF until '27/28 all your kids will be in their 30's mate. As I was also 4 years old in '99 I can tell you right now that I doubt any of them have any memory of that day either. It's all well and good to sustain yourself on remembered past glory, but it has been far far far too long for those of us who have known nothing but mediocrity.

I keep reading that Jack will push out Teakle or Pink, no he won't. Neither of those guys are best 22. He will replace one of the Dawsons, depending on how many talls we play.
Neither of the Dawsons are in our best team

Teakle is in our best team as the second ruck who can go forward

Darling will be the CHF and at times when teakle goes forward will be the third tall

Neither of the Dawsons are in our best team

Teakle is in our best team as the second ruck who can go forward

Darling will be the CHF and at times when teakle goes forward will be the third tall

You mean the young defender?
I could see merit for next year not being best 22. But if you’re saying we’ve blown another first round pick?

2023 Reece Torrent
2022 No player taken
2021 Cooper Whyte
2020 No player taken
2019 Leo Connolly
2018 Lachlan Sholl
2017 Nick Shipley
2016 Dion Johnstone
2015 Yestin Eades
2014 No player taken

What about pick 58?
Rubbing Hands GIF by Giphy QA

Sorry, just posting a version of both to maximise my bumping options in a year or two.

Appropriately, I'm pretty much on the fence with this one. Never been a huge fan of the bloke. But looking at it as a mega short-term stop-gap option, there's no doubt that he'll provide better structure to our Forward set-up and offer better support for Larkey than the Teakled Pink duo. Neither are big leaders. On the contrary, the eye test and memory banks tell me that they spent a lot of time flying for the same marks as Larkey, and in doing so often just ended up making his job a little more difficult. (And for now I'll have to rely on the eye test and memory banks because you couldn't pay me enough money to go back and watch replays of all but a couple of our games this season. No one deserves that.) At the very least, Darling is good on the lead.

But of course, from a structural perspective the relative success of this move is partly conditional upon us employing our impeccable foot skills to hit up both he and a more freed-up Larks with our legendary, pinpoint, laser-like forward 50 entries. So, you know, at least we have that bit well covered.

Anyway, bottom line, our Forward line is currently 7 shades of ****ed. Something needs to change. Structurally, Darling gives us a different dynamic and offers better cover for Larks in the right here, right now. Relatively low cost so, m'eh, worth a punt.

All aboard the Darling Delorean.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #?: Jack Darling - has officially requested to be traded to NM on a two-year deal. Pick 64 is expected to be tabled.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back