Player Watch #?: Jack Darling - has officially requested to be traded to NM on a two-year deal. Pick 64 is expected to be tabled.

Remove this Banner Ad

I started following north as a 9 year old in 1992. So I was there for the entire 90’s.

We wouldn’t be here if not for that period of footy, off the back of fluking the greatest player of all time in a steak knives trade.

I was at the agm in 07, and we wouldn’t be here without a bottom 3 to top 3 swing of the ladder.

We really do need to get a wriggle on because I’m not sure lighting can strike thrice
Sheezel … I always used to say that watching Carey was the peak as an NMFC supporter … now I am thinking, let’s just wait and see what Sheezel can do.

What about pick 58?
Rubbing Hands GIF by Giphy QA
Dane Swan and Lachie Neale

1977? We had a 19 year gap between flags. Our current streak is 25 years and we haven't even made it to a grand final in that time, let alone won one.

Also if we don't make a GF until '27/28 all your kids will be in their 30's mate. As I was also 4 years old in '99 I can tell you right now that I doubt any of them have any memory of that day either. It's all well and good to sustain yourself on remembered past glory, but it has been far far far too long for those of us who have known nothing but mediocrity.
Your generation onwards have had a sh#t time of it as North supporters. Was talking with friends about this very thing during the year and how much we admire the younger generation of North fans for continually showing up as they’ve seen very little success over the past 20 something years. You lot in particular deserve to enjoy a sustained run of excellence after too many years of garbage. Confident (ish!) it’ll turn and that Sheez and George will lead us to better days soon.

Yeah but WHY was that in his contract?
If he was required enough to play 15 senior games then it’s logical to automatically extend a player. It’s normal practice.

What’s there not to understand?

And if we’re desperate for a list spot we pay him out, it’s not like he’s on big money or there isn’t cap space.

I'm not keen on recruiting Darling but I'll have to trust our coaches and recruiters on this.

My other concern is that we'll continue to play too tall and slow, and hence our forward entries will continue to slingshot into the opposition's forward line.

The guy is cooked. It’s obvious isn’t it? Do the shit for brains down at north think he’s going to turn it around? He will struggle to hold his spot in the seniors if he doesn’t.

If he turns up unfit after the Xmas break it could be the final straw for me.

“Cooked” and “slow” but still manages as many if not more one percenters and tackles than our young forward line who can’t keep a ball in the 50.

He's not very good but he's a better option than Pink and Teakle and while Teakle is ok he won't be a star. At the least he provides us with options (Chom forward or back, coverage for injuries etc) and experience, will know how to lead and help implement running patterns up forward to create space.

As long as we get him for peanuts then why not?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does bringing Darling in affect the long term plans
For starters we can't wheel and deal with pick 64. It also takes a list spot of someone like Cooper Harvey or Blake Drury. And it certainly means we can't bring in a young tall to develop.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

“Cooked” and “slow” but still manages as many if not more one percenters and tackles than our young forward line who can’t keep a ball in the 50.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good soggy sook.

Yeah, probably doesn’t…. Only because we have no young forwards to put games into.

That’s long term key forward strategy 101 right there.

Again reading for Darling has no bearing on whether we draft a key forward. And if we draft one this year they're probably not playing straight away. In fact I think trading for Darling makes it more likely we'll draft a developing key forward

I'd prefer the strategy of having a 300 game veteran key forward there to act as a mentor to any young 18yo KPF we draft as opposed to having that 18yo learn off the motley crew of weird nerds we have in the forward line at the moment

The deal hasn't been confirmed yet.

The actual pick hasn't been faxed through aye, but he's going to be a North player and on pretty good terms for us.

For starters we can't wheel and deal with pick 64. It also takes a list spot of someone like Cooper Harvey or Blake Drury. And it certainly means we can't bring in a young tall to develop.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

I was going to do some joke like ‘yeah, we can’t lose pick 64, we could potentially miss out on (whoever pick 64 was in the 2022 draft, who I was going to guess wasn’t on a list anymore)’. But it turns out the draft didn’t even go that high, making the joke even better.

Again reading for Darling has no bearing on whether we draft a key forward. And if we draft one this year they're probably not playing straight away. In fact I think trading for Darling makes it more likely we'll draft a developing key forward

I'd prefer the strategy of having a 300 game veteran key forward there to act as a mentor to any young 18yo KPF we draft as opposed to having that 18yo learn off the motley crew of weird nerds we have in the forward line at the moment

Nah bro, let's draft an 18 year old kid and have him smashed by mature key defenders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #?: Jack Darling - has officially requested to be traded to NM on a two-year deal. Pick 64 is expected to be tabled.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back