Player Watch #?: Jack Darling - has officially requested to be traded to NM on a two-year deal. Pick 64 is expected to be tabled.

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of you lot on this board get on the attack so easily. Can we please remember before we post we are all supporting the same club?

Hearing opposing opinions must be frustrating for some but it is not necessary to be so nasty to others.

We are the North Melbourne Football CLUB. That means we are all mates wanting the same thing: some ****ing success.

1. He doesn't improve us.
2. He's taking up a list spot
3. He's getting a game every week regardless of output a la Lmac style because he's the shiny new toy and it just has to work!
4. He could be keeping other players out of the team with more upside (can we really have a forward line of Larkey, Darling, Teakle and Zurhaar? If not, who sits out? If you think we can then why would be when the game heading away from a 3 tall forward line with more emphasis of getting small forwards into the play.

Also, I don't think he's taking Pink's spot as I think come the start of next season, his position will be redundant anyway.

The whole thing stinks of "well we had to take someone and no one else was willing to come to us". If that's the case, then in my mind you're better off taking no one and trying again in 12 months time or go to the draft. Not pad out someone's superannuation fund.

1: why doesn’t he improve us?

He averaged more goals this year than teakle and pink (when played forward). More goals are better, yeah?

He tackles more inside 50 than pink and teakle and larkey combined. More tackles inside 50 is better yeah?

He subjectively makes other forwards better. Take and pink just get in the way of larkey.

I guy like darling will help I guy like Dursma. Darling keeps the pack grounded, while Dursma can come over the top.

As I’ve said numerous times, darling sacrificed his game against us by ensuring Comben couldn’t intercept. He also literally won west coast the game by spoiling Lmac.

2: yes, he’s taking up a list spot and can help us win. If he don’t take a list spot then he wouldn’t be on the list and couldn’t help us win. Thus inferior players that ave less goal, less tackles, less forward craft would play for us (teakle, pink, ccj).

3: that’s some future predicting, but if he’s not getting a kick and we are losing I can’t see clarko continually playing him just because he’s new. Stephens got dropped.

4: keeping others out of the team with more upside? LOL. Are we talking about north?

1: why doesn’t he improve us?

He averaged more goals this year than teakle and pink (when played forward). More goals are better, yeah?

He tackles more inside 50 than pink and teakle and larkey combined. More tackles inside 50 is better yeah?

He subjectively makes other forwards better. Take and pink just get in the way of larkey.

I guy like darling will help I guy like Dursma. Darling keeps the pack grounded, while Dursma can come over the top.

As I’ve said numerous times, darling sacrificed his game against us by ensuring Comben couldn’t intercept. He also literally won west coast the game by spoiling Lmac.

2: yes, he’s taking up a list spot and can help us win. If he don’t take a list spot then he wouldn’t be on the list and couldn’t help us win. Thus inferior players that ave less goal, less tackles, less forward craft would play for us (teakle, pink, ccj).

3: that’s some future predicting, but if he’s not getting a kick and we are losing I can’t see clarko continually playing him just because he’s new. Stephens got dropped.

4: keeping others out of the team with more upside? LOL. Are we talking about north?

Larkey, Teakle, Darling, Zurhaar. We should really only be playing 3 in the one team. So who misses out?

Stop comparing to Pink. The way the game is heading, there should not be a spot for him in our forward structure at full strength.

In regards to the first 2 points you make, it's all about trajectory. Darling is on the decline to the point where he's no longer best 22 in a team that's just as bad as us whilst you could easily argue that Teakle has more improvement in him.

I'm not buying in to the Duursma stuff.

As for the game against us where he made a spoil, big deal!

Teakle and Zurhaar both have far more upside than Darling. These are the two players he will be competing with if our forward structure resembles anything like it should.

Larkey, Teakle, Darling, Zurhaar. We should really only be playing 3 in the one team. So who misses out?

Stop comparing to Pink. The way the game is heading, there should not be a spot for him in our forward structure at full strength.

In regards to the first 2 points you make, it's all about trajectory. Darling is on the decline to the point where he's no longer best 22 in a team that's just as bad as us whilst you could easily argue that Teakle has more improvement in him.

Teakle and Zurhaar both have far more upside than Darling. These are the two players he will be competing with if our forward structure resembles anything like it should.
all 4 play imo, teakle the second ruck, darling and larks the main permanent targets forward, zurhaar is not a tall forward and i expect some stints in the middle from him next year too

we had pink play last year with those 3

all 4 play imo

zurhaar is not a tall forward and i expect some stints in the middle from him next year too
Even if they don't all play, reality is that often - due to injury - they won't all play. It's not the worst thing to have something resembling a proper team structure even if one or two players get injuries.

I reckon it’s as simple as, if he’s not a good enough player (2025 version) to improve our current 23, and he won’t be here when we’re challenging, what’s the point.

Why not have a throw at the stumps on a late pick in the ND? That guy is at least a chance of being around when we’re hitting our straps.
Fair and reasonable objection.

More of this and less “He did a shit interview at the airport. Simmo said he’s cooked.”

Last edited:
all 4 play imo, teakle the second ruck, darling and larks the main permanent targets forward, zurhaar is not a tall forward and i expect some stints in the middle from him next year too

Can Darling ruck to the extent that Xerri gets the rest he needs? If so he could replace Teakle, otherwise agree that Pinks spot is most in danger.

As I stated before, I’m far from a Darling fan. But can anyone tell me what the worst possible scenario is if he comes?

Are exisiting players going to leave because he comes in? Are we going to lose players because his salary is high and we won’t be able to pay other players? Is him playing in the 22 make us a worse team than right now? Will he keep out potential guns like Toby Pink and others? Is he a chance to punch on with support staff?
Or are people freaking out over this purely based on the money he will be paid?

I assume that Viney and Clarko have their finger prints all over this. Do we back them in because they have had some success bringing mature players in in the past? Or do we not back them in because they have had failures bringing mature players in in the past?

I assume when you coach a side for over 15 years, you will have plenty of wins and losses when it comes to list building.
I think you're failing to appreciate how many people posting on here have list management experience; some of whom have built premiership teams.

Can Darling ruck to the extent that Xerri gets the rest he needs? If so he could replace Teakle, otherwise agree that Pinks spot is most in danger.
nah he won't be rucking

teakles spot is only under threat by a ccj/finnbar

darling is more your chf/third tall to partner larks and replace pink

HF: Parker Darling Curtis
F: Zurhaar Larkey Simpkin (or small forward like konstanty)
I: Teakle

Last edited:
Similar to picking up Jarrad Waite isn't it?

Waite was 31y 7m 29d when he signed a two year deal with North, went on to kick 125 goals.

Jack Darling is 32y 3m 2d today.

A big body to wear the blows in the pack and drag a big opponent away from a younger, skinner player so they can develop with a chance to get their hands on the ball more.
You might start an argument with a post like that 😜

Similar to picking up Jarrad Waite isn't it?

Waite was 31y 7m 29d when he signed a two year deal with North, went on to kick 125 goals.

Jack Darling is 32y 3m 2d today.

A big body to wear the blows in the pack and drag a big opponent away from a younger, skinner player so they can develop with a chance to get their hands on the ball more.

C'mon mate they are different people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on the players you’ve used, I would have darling taking teakles spot assuming we aren’t going tall.

Teakle Darling

Ave goals 0.8 1.1

Ave behinds 0.2 0.6

Ave tackles 0.5 1.4
Inside 50.

Ave goal
Assists. 0.2. 0.6

Marks
Inside 50. 0.5. 1.2

Score 2.1. 3.4
Involvements

1%’s. 1.0 1.7

I mean it’s not even worth debating.

But if teakle remarkably improves and takes darlings spot. So be it. That’s what depth is.

I think you're failing to appreciate how many people posting on here have list management experience; some of whom have built premiership teams.

The thing i find weird is we have a live version of this situation happening successfully this very season with Jack Gunston. His career is on the way down, no where near the player he was, but played in a side with an inexperienced forward line, that needed someone to show them how to be a good 2nd, 3rd 4th forward. Gunston had as a crap a year in 2023 as Darling did this year. In fact on a stats basis, Gunston had a pretty down year this year, but still kept in the most inform team for the role he played.

Look, it’s North so most likely Darling will be putrid and the only game he plays he will probably knock Larkey out in a marking contest or some cursed crap like that, but I just don’t get all the huff.

As I stated before, I’m far from a Darling fan. But can anyone tell me what the worst possible scenario is if he comes?

He could be a shape-shifting, anthropomorphic android assassin sent back in time by GPT-69 to systematically exterminate every source of father-sons for the North Melbourne Football Club.

The thing i find weird is we have a live version of this situation happening successfully this very season with Jack Gunston. His career is on the way down, no where near the player he was, but played in a side with an inexperienced forward line, that needed someone to show them how to be a good 2nd, 3rd 4th forward. Gunston had as a crap a year in 2023 as Darling did this year. In fact on a stats basis, Gunston had a pretty down year this year, but still kept in the most inform team for the role he played.

Look, it’s North so most likely Darling will be putrid and the only game he plays he will probably knock Larkey out in a marking contest or some cursed crap like that, but I just don’t get all the huff.
Neither do I.

Ford played 18 games, Pink 15, Duursma 13, Sleevo 12, Taylor 8, CCJ 3, Sellers 2. All for less than a goal a game and less than 12 touches.

Outside of development games for Duursma, the rest are being gifted games and lucky to still be on an AFL list. Ford is the only other one that has upside (if he pulls his finger out in another contract year).

Based on the players you’ve used, I would have darling taking teakles spot assuming we aren’t going tall.

Teakle Darling

Ave goals 0.8 1.1

Ave behinds 0.2 0.6

Ave tackles 0.5 1.4
Inside 50.

Ave goal
Assists. 0.2. 0.6

Marks
Inside 50. 0.5. 1.2

Score 2.1. 3.4
Involvements

1%’s. 1.0 1.7

I mean it’s not even worth debating.

But if teakle remarkably improves and takes darlings spot. So be it. That’s what depth is.

How many games has Teakle played again? You make it sound like he's a 32yo, 300 game veteran. I'm sorry I have to point this out to you.

Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

The alternative is we draft a couple of young key forwards and while they develop we work out a game plan and forward structure around the players we have. Hawthorn managed to construct a functional forwardline with Chol and Dear as their talls. Richmond won a flag with just Riewoldt. Surely we come up with do something with Larkey and Comben.

Adding yet another dodgy short-term tall isn't the answer. Darling will work no better than Teakle, Pink, Biggie, Sellers, or CCJ. We should be shedding these list cloggers not adding to them. When Clarko came to the club, he talked about finding players capable of playing in our next premiership team. Instead, we have been reduced to raiding skips for any old crap.
Your view is more than fair and both sides have good arguments with the fear of adding another spud vs experience.
Not sure if it's the right move, we'll see what happens in a year or two, but I've accepted it as he's an AFL footballer compared to Pink, CCJ and Teakle and can actually bring the ball to ground.
I'm sure Larkey will be happy to have more support and to see us bringing someone in that can help him now.
I'm more concerned about drafting a key forward(s) for once and then the pressure we have around whoever the key forwards are. I hope we can get a small forward in via trade and a few across the drafts.

You can walk and chew gum at the same time in terms of adding experience and drafting kids.
I thought Gunston was put a fork in cooked at the Lions and 12 months later he's still playing at the Hawks and teaching Calsher Dear the forward craft along with Breust that has helped speed up Dear's development.
I thought the Hawks were crazy and wasting a list spot but shows how little I know about what their group needed.
I'm sure Clarko would see no leadership in the forward group capable of directing the others as a big problem.

It's unlikely more preferred targets to us fans like Gruzewski, Ricciardi, Membrey or Lord want to come to us.
Darling's addition may be similar to WCE adding Petrie the same year they drafted Oscar Allen in 2017.
Hopefully he gives some benefit to Larkey, Chom, Teakle, Maley and Will Dawson even from just training, learning and/or playing alongside him at AFL/VFL level given his strength and experience.

We can take key forwards in the draft late if we want with what is left of pick 58 or 64 after trades.
It buys them a bit more time to develop for a few years or takes a stronger defender off them.
I don't rate Hipwood at all but Logan Morris benefits from having him, Daniher and Rayner up there taking better defenders.
The same I think can be seen with Dear with others in the forward mix getting better defenders.
Those list cloggers will be gone either this year (Sellers) or next year (CCJ, Biggie, Pink, Teakle?).
I don't think a massive cull of 14 in one year is required, 8-10 across a few years will be fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #?: Jack Darling - has officially requested to be traded to NM on a two-year deal. Pick 64 is expected to be tabled.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back