Speculation Jack Darling [UFA 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Lazy Jurno cant even get the picks eagles have correct

But good get for North for pick #58
We would need to give them back pick 59 and pick up a bit of Darlings salary. No problem in giving Darling a few extra dollars on the way out. A absolute fantastic servant of this club who deserves every cent he gets

He's not the only one lacking cents in this trade.
I just dont think North have other options. Teakle didnt work out really and try as they might they havnt found that big bodied forward who can give the slightest of chopouts to Xerri.

Darling is a upgrade on Teakle who was a upgrade on the absolutely no one before him

Would be a very handy pickup for the Roos, similar to the role Gunston has played for us this year.

Could be a mentor to the young forwards on the roos list like Duursma

Good luck to both the Roos and Darling.

No ill will either way....When he's on, he'll be great. Even though his consistency has waned with age, he's proven he can still play at a very high level when driven. A change a scenery and Clarko I suspect will give him a new lease on life.

Great paring for Larkey too.

I hope we pay half his salary and get pick 40 but I know that's probably wishful thinking.

Last edited:
As a pure stop-gap for a nothing pick while Comben and the other young KPP develop, I guess it makes sense.

Does he fulfill the 'leadership/mentor' role that Clarkson was talking about, though? His COVID nuttery would have me wondering....
Don’t see us giving him away for a nothing pick. 2 games short of 300, great trainer and leader and at worst is good injury depth and at best plays another 21 games.

We’d want something of value back, especially when the Roos are approaching him.

Don’t see us giving him away for a nothing pick. 2 games short of 300, great trainer and leader and at worst is good injury depth and at best plays another 21 games.

We’d want something of value back, especially when the Roos are approaching him.
We’re not getting anything of value back. 3 qtrs if our board was calling for him to be paid out and delisted the majority of the year

We’re not getting anything of value back. 3 qtrs if our board was calling for him to be paid out and delisted the majority of the year
That’s hyperbole and I think you’ll find WCE value him more than the group of posters who suggested that. Very happy to hang onto him if the proposed deal has nothing of value coming back. He’s worth more to the club than giving him away and if he’s been offered a multi year contract by the Roos then that’s the way they see it too. If North are desperate not to pay anything they can pick him up as an UFA next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s been crap since Covid hit and been a big part of the decline. Only try’s when it suits him which is getting fewer and further between drinks. 800k is a massive wage for someone who has been phoning it in and with the emergence of Waterman you don’t need him.

Freeing up the list spot and paying less than 800k will be your value, you might get lucky and they have a pick in the 60’s lying around that they won’t use.

He’s been crap since Covid hit and been a big part of the decline. Only try’s when it suits him which is getting fewer and further between drinks. 800k is a massive wage for someone who has been phoning it in and with the emergence of Waterman you don’t need him.

Freeing up the list spot and paying less than 800k will be your value, you might get lucky and they have a pick in the 60’s lying around that they won’t use.
We don’t need cap relief and we won’t need his list spot so no, that’s not value.

That’s hyperbole and I think you’ll find WCE value him more than the group of posters who suggested that. Very happy to hang onto him if the proposed deal has nothing of value coming back. He’s worth more to the club than giving him away and if he’s been offered a multi year contract by the Roos then that’s the way they see it too. If North are desperate not to pay anything they can pick him up as an UFA next year.
If he wants to go to extend his career, we’re doing him a disservice by not allowing him to go, even if we get no value coming back

It’s highly unlikely, after what I assume will be an average year next year and with him turning 33, I think?, he gets the same offer. It’s unfair not to let him go given the service he’s given the club

We don’t need cap relief and we won’t need his list spot so no, that’s not value.
Lists spots should be of value to you. WC aren’t turning over enough players to at least see if you can find a few late gems or 2nd chance players. You’re turning over about as many players as Freo at the moment and you still need a lot of talent.

JD will not play another final at WC, isn’t a leader for what I have seen. No point keeping him and blocking a kid.

Their 3rd rounder is about the best we could get imo

Not that desperate for either id say. Just a case of he wants to go we do the right thing mostly

Lists spots should be of value to you. WC aren’t turning over enough players to at least see if you can find a few late gems or 2nd chance players. You’re turning over about as many players as Freo at the moment and you still need a lot of talent.

JD will not play another final at WC, isn’t a leader for what I have seen. No point keeping him and blocking a kid.
We’ll have enough delistings to not cut into contracted players to create list spots. He’d be in the squad as depth especially with Oscar’s injury history, not because we see him as part of a push for our next finals campaign and nor would he be taking a kid’s spot.

If he wants to go to extend his career, we’re doing him a disservice by not allowing him to go, even if we get no value coming back

It’s highly unlikely, after what I assume will be an average year next year and with him turning 33, I think?, he gets the same offer. It’s unfair not to let him go given the service he’s given the club
Happy to facilitate a trade, but if North are offering a multi year deal then they see value in him. Love what JD has given the eagles but the club is bigger than the player. He’ll offer the club more staying on the list than if we gave him to North for free.

We’ll have enough delistings to not cut into contracted players to create list spots. He’d be in the squad as depth especially with Oscar’s injury history, not because we see him as part of a push for our next finals campaign and nor would he be taking a kid’s spot.
How many is that? WC seem to be replacing 6-7 each year when normal turnover is 4-5 anyway. You need to keep the leaders but guys like Darling & Gaff haven’t been leading and just bring the group down.

I have no idea what it’s looking like this year for WC but with Tassie coming in, I’d be targeting 8-9 list changes, even if some are mature age. If an opportunity comes to move on an old player who is not a leader, you take it while you are rebuilding.

You cant ask for us to pay salary also and not give up the pick 40 fundamentally. The value in that increases the trade value. If they want him for free etc gotta pay his entire salary i feel
You can if the contract is bad. 800k is hilarious for Darlings output. It would be fun to do a deep dive with Gaff’s & Darling contracts to see which one was worse. I wonder if WC have had any worst than that in their history?

How many is that? WC seem to be replacing 6-7 each year when normal turnover is 4-5 anyway. You need to keep the leaders but guys like Darling & Gaff haven’t been leading and just bring the group down.

I have no idea what it’s looking like this year for WC but with Tassie coming in, I’d be targeting 8-9 list changes, even if some are mature age. If an opportunity comes to move on an old player who is not a leader, you take it while you are rebuilding.
8-9. More than enough. You suggesting we clear out Darling for cap space and a list spot would be like me saying you should go after Max Gawn because he’s a fantastic ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Jack Darling [UFA 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back