Speculation Jack Darling [UFA 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s amazing this thread. It’s about Darling to North effectively and it’s freo fans who feel they need to pick up the fight.

I’d more worry your own players looking to leave your club annually.

Even that doesn't make any sense, if it's a salary dump then West Coast are getting the benefit of shedding his salary. The premise behind those kind of trades is that the selling party would need to add value, not the other way round.

I think the idea that North are pursuing Darling is a bit overblown, I doubt we'd be interested in including anything of value like pick 40 (or a 19 pick downgrade as you described) in a deep draft to facilitate the trade.

Just take him as ufa and we get what we get.

We don’t get a benefit of salary dump for 2025, what are you on? What are we going to do with it, especially if barrass leaves.

Just take him as ufa and we get what we get.

We don’t get a benefit of salary dump for 2025, what are you on? What are we going to do with it, especially if barrass leaves.
He's not a UFA though, otherwise this would be the most straightforward deal in the offseason.

And exactly the same point can be made for North regarding his salary. Why would we push for WCE to pay 200k of his salary so we can trade a better draft pick, when we'll be barely scratching the salary cap floor ourselves?

Neither team would care in the slightest about Darling being on 800k next year, so salary won't have any impact on what draft pick goes back for him.

You are not. You are going back 19 spots in the draft. In the end you are pursuing the guy and want him so its pretty likely we will ask for a little bit back. Getting pick 59 into 40 will help us match any early bids for Malaki Champion so is a handy pick for us to have

Turning 59 into 40 is very risky and possibly a total waste if all that happens is we burn it matching a bid on Champion.

59 is a great pick to match with. He is being ranked as a late 30's early 40's bid. We get the 20% discount and the cost ends up being 59.

Even that doesn't make any sense, if it's a salary dump then West Coast are getting the benefit of shedding his salary. The premise behind those kind of trades is that the selling party would need to add value, not the other way round.

I think the idea that North are pursuing Darling is a bit overblown, I doubt we'd be interested in including anything of value like pick 40 (or a 19 pick downgrade as you described) in a deep draft to facilitate the trade.

It isn't a salary dump because the Eagles are under no salary cap pressure whatsoever.

It's an opportunity to move on an experienced player to help them extend their career and land a late pick or pick upgrade.

Likely in 2025 Jack if he stays plays alot of WAFL as the kids need development.

It isn't a salary dump because the Eagles are under no salary cap pressure whatsoever.

It's an opportunity to move on an experienced player to help them extend their career and land a late pick or pick upgrade.

Likely in 2025 Jack if he stays plays alot of WAFL as the kids need development.
Yeah seems to be a gentlemen's handshake between Darling and WCE that if/when an opportunity arose to extend his career, the club wouldn't stand in his way.

Why would any team take Jack Darling? He's worse cooked than Kennedy was and he's never been a key forward anyway??
If he's getting $800,000 from WCE let him stay and let them pay.

Why would any team take Jack Darling? He's worse cooked than Kennedy was and he's never been a key forward anyway??
If he's getting $800,000 from WCE let him stay and let them pay.
I'm not sold on the idea myself.
But he's an improvement on pink and teakle. I guess if we draft a kpf this year we'd prefer him learning from darling over our current crop who jump for marks with 1 hand and constantly crash into each other.

But he's an improvement on pink and teakle. I guess if we draft a kpf this year we'd prefer him learning from darling over our current crop who jump for marks with 1 hand and constantly crash into each other.

As long as Darling is telling them to not take their eye off the ball until they have fully marked it ;)

I thought the idea was crazy until it was explained to me. Darling will also take attention away from Larkey much better than Pink and Teakle as well.

I thought the idea was crazy until it was explained to me. Darling will also take attention away from Larkey much better than Pink and Teakle as well.
The fact it's even an idea, and then the names you've mentioned, is more an indictment on North list management than anything.

No offence to Darling but will he actually take any attention away, he's as cooked as Taberner athetically (but has a football brain at least I suppose).

It is the very rare WA based player that plays decent footy much past 30.

Last edited:
The fact it's even an idea, and then the names you've mentioned, is more an indictment on North list management than anything.

No offence to Darling but will.he actually take any attention away, he's as cooked as Taberner athetically (but has a football at least I suppose).

He is cooked but he was also responsible for whatever defensive pressure we did have in our F50. I agree that it is an indictment on North's list management but this is going to be a win-win trade as we free up space to NOT play three tall forwards while North improves their best 23.

No offence to Darling but will.he actually take any attention away, he's as cooked as Taberner athetically (but has a football at least I suppose).

He provides elite defensive pressure for a tall forward weirdly enough. It’s quite deceptive but if you check the stats he is one of the best at it in the league tall or small in the last 5 years. . If they want a leader who sets standards that way he is the guy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunno why people keep saying he's 'cooked'. He's simply behind Waterman and Allen in the pecking order and ideally, we'd play a medium/small forward in his position instead.

He still has huge workrate and applies a ton of pressure. We're just overloaded with tall forward and need to give opportunity to others in the forward line.

Dunno why people keep saying he's 'cooked'. He's simply behind Waterman and Allen in the pecking order and ideally, we'd play a medium/small forward in his position instead.

He still has huge workrate and applies a ton of pressure. We're just overloaded with tall forward and need to give opportunity to others in the forward line.
He was almost a sole KPF last year and kicked 26 goals. He kicked 22 this year with Allen injured for a lot of it. On track for 18 goals next season and 12 goals on the 2nd year of his 2 year deal while on 1.2m over 2 years.

I don’t see the point.

He was almost a sole KPF last year and kicked 26 goals. He kicked 22 this year with Allen injured for a lot of it. On track for 18 goals next season and 12 goals on the 2nd year of his 2 year deal while on 1.2m over 2 years.

I don’t see the point.
But you where never going to see the point, you only come on this thread to do your Freo troll thing,
it sad you feel the need to comment in this thread

I don’t see the point.
Not sure if you saw our team last year but it wasn't exactly good.

possibly not out of the question for the eagles to try and negotiate a better deal for barrass by covering some salary too for a couple years. Assuming that was of any value to hawthorn which I have no idea about to be honest

But you where never going to see the point, you only come on this thread to do your Freo troll thing,
it sad you feel the need to comment in this thread
I see the point for WC. Any salary saved can be banked and used in the future for more picks or to pay players when you next challenge. He’s basically at a 2nd year KPF output now and got 1-2 years left so I would be trading him for anything to get him off the books. I don’t see leadership on the field from him.

A lot of posters comment more on players they see a lot of since they are from their home state, don’t be do precious.

I see the point for WC. Any salary saved can be banked and used in the future for more picks or to pay players when you next challenge. He’s basically at a 2nd year KPF output now and got 1-2 years left so I would be trading him for anything to get him off the books. I don’t see leadership on the field from him.

A lot of posters comment more on players they see a lot of since they are from their home state, don’t be do precious.
We'll struggle to make the cap as it is. The last thing we need is even more salary off the books.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Jack Darling [UFA 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back