Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Nov 12, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
B.Celtics, FC Barcelona, Leeds Utd
In my humble opinion (and yes I know I'm somewhat 'damaged goods' in the eyes of many fans on this board, and probably fair enough) but I honestly feel that former President John Elliott has been given the rough end of the stick and a scapegoat for the demise of the Carlton football club in this decade (personally I feel other people like David Parkin, Shane O'Sullivan and Wes Lofts are equally to blame, but that's nether here nor there) ...

I'm not trying to be a Jack Elliott apologist here, but I would say that during his colourful and controversial 20 plus year tenure as president, the man had nothing but the best interests of the Carlton Footy club at heart, he was not on some ego-trip as other people would have you believe)

Personally I have met and taked to John Elliott at the footy before he was dethroned as president and found him to be a very entertaining and charming person to converse with, lets face, how many other president of AFL clubs would be willing to converse with conversations with suppoters with cigarettes outside the Docklands or MCG during games (for instance)

Although I hate the Liberal Party and all of Jack's political idelogies, as a person I have found him to be an damn good person to converse with, he doesn't put on 'airs and graces' (like most other conservative elite party members I have observed) and aside from that, from what I've been led to believe, it was David Parkin and other coaching staff members at the time, who were adament at drafting hacks like Mick Mcguane, Mick Mansfield and Stephen O'Reily to the club, not big Big Jack's ...

It is unfair and very ignorant to pin all the club's problems and downfall in this decade to John Elliott, and yes, perhaps I am being biased and maybe controversial in this opinion, but I honestly admire the man, from my own personal experience, he is/was a good man, who made some admittedly terrible mistakes, but certainly doesn't deserve all the harsh treatment and comments he's getting from the current board and club ...

I'd love to see Big Jack back at the club for officials from next year onwards (personally I think his comments about the Kate allegations earlier this year, whilst terrible, were also forthright, and he didn't actuallThey committ any of the terrible crimes himself,the only thing he was guilty of was being honest)

The man gave more then 20 years of his life to this football club (without any financial renumeration or thanks) and did bring a couple of flags and many great players to this club, not to mention, Richard Pratt's involvement, and as such, deserves to be acknowledged in a far better light than what he is currently seen in)

popcornWB.jpg

In my humble opinion (and yes I know I'm somewhat 'damaged goods' in the eyes of many fans on this board, and probably fair enough) but I honestly feel that former President John Elliott has been given the rough end of the stick and a scapegoat for the demise of the Carlton football club in this decade (personally I feel other people like David Parkin, Shane O'Sullivan and Wes Lofts are equally to blame, but that's nether here nor there) ...

I'm not trying to be a Jack Elliott apologist here, but I would say that during his colourful and controversial 20 plus year tenure as president, the man had nothing but the best interests of the Carlton Footy club at heart, he was not on some ego-trip as other people would have you believe)

Personally I have met and taked to John Elliott at the footy before he was dethroned as president and found him to be a very entertaining and charming person to converse with, lets face, how many other president of AFL clubs would be willing to converse with conversations with suppoters with cigarettes outside the Docklands or MCG during games (for instance)

Although I hate the Liberal Party and all of Jack's political idelogies, as a person I have found him to be an damn good person to converse with, he doesn't put on 'airs and graces' (like most other conservative elite party members I have observed) and aside from that, from what I've been led to believe, it was David Parkin and other coaching staff members at the time, who were adament at drafting hacks like Mick Mcguane, Mick Mansfield and Stephen O'Reily to the club, not big Big Jack's ...

It is unfair and very ignorant to pin all the club's problems and downfall in this decade to John Elliott, and yes, perhaps I am being biased and maybe controversial in this opinion, but I honestly admire the man, from my own personal experience, he is/was a good man, who made some admittedly terrible mistakes, but certainly doesn't deserve all the harsh treatment and comments he's getting from the current board and club ...

I'd love to see Big Jack back at the club for officials from next year onwards (personally I think his comments about the Kate allegations earlier this year, whilst terrible, were also forthright, and he didn't actuallThey committ any of the terrible crimes himself,the only thing he was guilty of was being honest)

The man gave more then 20 years of his life to this football club (without any financial renumeration or thanks) and did bring a couple of flags and many great players to this club, not to mention, Richard Pratt's involvement, and as such, deserves to be acknowledged in a far better light than what he is currently seen in)

it's all well an good that he is a nice guy to talk too, but for me, after following the club from the start of the dark ages, only watching him destroy the club i grew to love, on numerous occaisions. Pardon me for loathing the guy!

Did you even support Carlton during Elliot's days? I'd be interested to know how much you actually know about what happened when he was around.

Actually I know a long term supporter from Carlton who is part of the 'Unofficial Carlton Match Committee' and I am fully aware of most of the faults of John Elliott's presidency, the difference, I don't the moral high ground and 'sancitimonous' bullshit that other Carlton fans seem to have towards the man.

Hmmm, where does one start? Sure he was a charming larrikin but let's not forget:

• Scapegoated Brittain for what was an unhealthy list that not even the great Denis could save. You mention a bunch of other people responsible for list management but the attitude that 'we'll turf out Wayne and get Pagan and everything will be sweet' was poor form.
  • Deliberately cheated the salary cap and cost us a number of picks.
  • Flagrant disregard for AFL sanctioned anti-smoking policies.
  • Built a white elephant designed only to fleece non-members - atmosphere at Princes Park was never the same.
  • Missed the opportunity in the 1990s to switch our home games to the MCG ala the Pies and the Bombers. So that now we're stuck with a crummy deal at Etihad.

Hmmm, where does one start? Sure he was a charming larrikin but let's not forget:

• Scapegoated Brittain for what was an unhealthy list that not even the great Denis could save. You mention a bunch of other people responsible for list management but the attitude that 'we'll turf out Wayne and get Pagan and everything will be sweet' was poor form.
  • Deliberately cheated the salary cap and cost us a number of picks.
  • Flagrant disregard for AFL sanctioned anti-smoking policies.
  • Built a white elephant designed only to fleece non-members - atmosphere at Princes Park was never the same.
  • Missed the opportunity in the 1990s to switch our home games to the MCG ala the Pies and the Bombers. So that now we're stuck with a crummy deal at Etihad.

A couple of things to respond with

1 - I don't think anyone gives a shit about the anti-smoking policies (frankly I think it's a hoot seening Big Jack light it up outside Jihad stadium and the MCG_(
2 - I prefer playing most of our home games at Jihad anyway, I think Carlton play better there then at the MCG anyway ...

Jack went on as President about 5 years too many IMO. However, I lost all respect for the guy when he said, and still does, denies any knowledge of the salary cap rorting that took place at our club whilst he was in charge.

Once a crook, always a crook.

(And to think, back in the '80's, he was being touted a future Prime Minister)

1 - I don't think anyone gives a shit about the anti-smoking policies (frankly I think it's a hoot seening Big Jack light it up outside Jihad stadium and the MCG_(
2 - I prefer playing most of our home games at Jihad anyway, I think Carlton play better there then at the MCG anyway ...

1. Fine, if you're a smoker. Frankly I'm glad umbrellas and cigarettes have been banished from footy grounds.
  2. The club has been financially crippled by Etihad, remember the reasons for the GC game? Collingwood rake in the profits at the G, while Essendon get a large some of money as 1st tenant. That could've been us, if not for the Legends Stand disaster. While it was an emotive issue to move away from PP, we didn't move with the times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i thought collo signged the etihad contract.

Sure but our bargaining power was diminished at the time. The AFL were never going to allow us to continue to play at Princes Park.

The Legends Stand saw less than a decade of use, just as Collingwood and Essendon's attendances were flourishing at the MCG. I'd argue it should never have been built.

You really are an attention seeker arn't you.:rolleyes:

your posts just get worse and worse. I wish the mods could ban you for good.

Elliot is nothing but an arrogant flog and he is a disease on the Carlton Football Club.

We are heading in a fantastic direction, led by Swan and co. As a football club we are rebuilding and getting away from the cheating and criminal allegiances which have haunted us since inception.

Mods please close the thread, this will be a blood bath.

your posts just get worse and worse. I wish the mods could ban you for good.

Elliot is nothing but an arrogant flog and he is a disease on the Carlton Football Club.

We are heading in a fantastic direction, led by Swan and co. As a football club we are rebuilding and getting away from the cheating and criminal allegiances which have haunted us since inception.

Mods please close the thread, this will be a blood bath.

Truth be told, Jack Elliott's done far more good for this club, then you ever will you twit ...

Also please tell me on what grounds should I be banned for creating this thread you twit ???

Actually it is one of the most positive things to have occured to our society. Why should I have to put up with other peoples carncinogen containing smoke because they choose to smoke at a sporting event or pub? A hoot - tell it to people with emphysema who have never had a cigarette in their lives

He was the president. The buck stops at the top. He was happy to bask in the spotlight when the club was successful, he has to cop the criticism for the negatives that happened under his presidency.

Sounds like you are to me. Whether he had the best interests of the club at heart is debatable, but irrespective of that I viewed him as ego-filled, arrogant and self-serving - and before all the **** hit the fan too.

I don't see what that has to do with anything. It's what happened under his presidency which is of concern to supporters, not how nice a bloke he may have been to have a chat with whilst puffing away on a cigarette. :rolleyes:

Of course others contributed to our plight. I don't think anyone denies that. But refer to my first comment again.

Maybe if Elliott would shut the **** up and stay in the background, he wouldn't be copping the current so-called harsh treatment. Why shouldn't the club and supporters get shirty with him when, for instance, he publicly brings up so-called hush money payments to alleged rape victims? Elliott's problem is that he cannot handle being out of the spotlight, and to stay in it he seemingly doesn't care what effect it has on the club he allegedly (in your view) loves so much.

I
See my previous comment. And the further away from the club he is, the better in my view.

Sure he did some good things. So have many others, who incidentally didn't leave anywhere near the same amount of damage in their wake as Elliott did.

Jack went on as President about 5 years too many IMO. However, I lost all respect for the guy when he said, and still does, denies any knowledge of the salary cap rorting that took place at our club whilst he was in charge.
More to the point, he said he made it his business to not know about the cheating. In his mind, that was his duty of care to the club fulfilled. Unforgivable in a leader.

Five years too long is about right. Even he thought he'd been there too long by the end. Two of those cups in the cabinet came on his watch, and he takes a lot of the credit for them, so I'll always weight the good against the bad. We all enjoyed the bluster during the good times, but you can't keep doing it when you're shooting blanks.

The one thing I think was too harsh was removing his name from the stand. He ****ed up in the end, but he did a lot more good around the place than he did bad otherwise he wouldn't have lasted twenty-odd years.

His successors didn't exactly set the world on fire. In the end, we were just as glad to be rid of them.

Actually it is one of the most positive things to have occured to our society. Why should I have to put up with other peoples carncinogen containing smoke because they choose to smoke at a sporting event or pub? A hoot - tell it to people with emphysema who have never had a cigarette in their lives

Truer words have never been spoken, Guns. I watch my wife battle respiratory disease on a daily basis due to the lack of consideration of her parents, who thought smoking in the presence of their children would do no harm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Elliott has been harshly treated by many Carlton fans and officials

Remove this Banner Ad

Back