Player Watch Jack Ginnivan (Traded to Hawks 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

I like guys who have a laser like focus in wanting to kick the goal. Too many players, want to pass the ball off, which can lead to second guessing themselves, resulting in a missed goal.

Being unselfish is admirable, but if ingrained, it can backfire, especially when a match is crying out for some individual brilliance.

I would love to see magpie players take more responsibility, heck they might even surprise us...
A good example was when Beau went for the run and bounce.
Instead of looking inboard & having the play broken up, he could have had another bounce or 2 & slotted the goal.
The goal he kicked in the last quarter should give him more confidence to take the shot.
These young guys can learn from the master - Billy!

Last edited:

One valuable thing about Ginni is he offers a distinctly different avenue to goal than others. As we've seen several times, he is able to score in matches when the team is struggling to score. This makes us harder to shut down.
In contrast, AFL fwd lines are full of downhill skiers who bob up for 3 goals when their team wins by 8 goals, and you see nothing og them when the team loses. Ginnin single-handly keeps us in games with his nous. Hes a beauty

Jack Ginnivan, 4th in the Rising Star with 21 votes.

Surely that’s got to be some kind of record for a rookie listed player?

Can’t imagine too many rookies would poll that well?

Jack Ginnivan, 4th in the Rising Star with 21 votes.

Surely that’s got to be some kind of record for a rookie listed player?

Can’t imagine too many rookies would poll that well?

Sydney stack was 3rd as a preseason supplemental selection which is essentially rookie spot without the draft?

Aaron Davey was 2nd as a rookie pick.

Paul Bevan was equal 4th as a rookie listed player.

Dean Rioli was 4th as a rookie listed player.

That's all I can think of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A good example was when Beau went for the run and bounce.
Instead of looking inboard & having the play broken up, he could have had another bounce or 2 & slotted the goal.
The goal he kicked in the last quarter should give him more confidence to take the shot.
These young guys can learn from the master - Billy!
Further to this, here is something from Fly:

“There’s a passage of play Beau McCreery gets the ball and has about four bounces in the third quarter and I was like: ‘You go Beau, you go. Kick the goal’. So there’s a moment where he goes, ‘oh I see a better option’, and then we don’t score. But his intent was to help out,” McRae explained.

“I just love that bit of footage with Jamie (kicking the match-winner) where he has a couple of looks and he goes, ‘nah I’ll take this and take the moment’, and I love that.

“You see it with Beau in the last quarter too, where he probably could have centred it and there comes a time where certain players and Jamie is one of them, that just say: ‘OK if it has to be, it’s up to me’ and he just did it.”

Pies players got 81 of a possible 180 votes

Unfortunately sexy tackles aren’t sexy otherwise McCreery would have got himself a nomination.

Bruzz is all muscle and emotion.
Mad Dog McCreery has him covered in technique.

Yeah, this!

Bruzz’s tackles are crunching.

McCreery’s are next level theatre … like effortlessly dragging his victim - limbs flailing - by the scruff of the neck across the boundary. Or totally incapacitating his victim by pulling their guernsey up over their head and arms like they’re some Scooby Do villain.

If McCreery had burnt off Saad in that 2nd quarter when he took that gallop from the half back line (Saad had a running action like the Terminator out of T2) and if McCreery had kicked the goal instead of looking inboard …

… along with that snap goal from 50 in the last quarter …

… surely that would have been Round 23 Rising Star nomination worthy.

Last edited:
Yeah, this!

Bruzz’s tackles are crunching.

McCreery’s are next level theatre … like effortlessly dragging his victim - limbs flailing - by the scruff of the neck across the boundary. Or totally incapacitating his victim by pulling their guernsey up over their head and arms like they’re some Scooby Do villain.

If McCreery had burnt off Saad in that 2nd quarter when he took that gallop from the half back line (Saad had a running action like the Terminator out of T2) and if McCreery had kicked the goal instead of looking inboard …

… along with that snap goal from 50 in the last quarter …

… sure that would have been Round 23 Rising Star nomination worthy.
Love Beau but seriously Bruzzy's tackles have improved out of sight - not a tackle but . . . re watch that incredible spoil on Curnow from Bruzzy.

Caught behind a leading Curnow he accelerated to flat out speed and hurled himself bodily at the ball - and did it well enough that he didn't give away a free.

Bruzzy is a much better player than years ago.

There’s a passage of play Beau McCreery gets the ball and has about four bounces in the third quarter and I was like: ‘You go Beau, you go. Kick the goal’. So there’s a moment where he goes, ‘oh I see a better option’, and then we don’t score. But his intent was to help out,” McRae explained
If McCreery’s last goal is anything to go by that message seems to have been delivered during the game. He certainly backed himself on the last one.

If McCreery’s last goal is anything to go by that message seems to have been delivered during the game. He certainly backed himself on the last one.
Beau has had a few other moments like that run this year, where at the end of a searing run he took a lower percentage pass off option rather than continuing on and kicking the goal himself. The other moments actually resulted in goals despite being lower percentage. I'd be curious if that message was delivered then - it really should have been despite his action still succeeding.

Last edited:
Further to this, here is something from Fly:

“There’s a passage of play Beau McCreery gets the ball and has about four bounces in the third quarter and I was like: ‘You go Beau, you go. Kick the goal’. So there’s a moment where he goes, ‘oh I see a better option’, and then we don’t score. But his intent was to help out,” McRae explained.

“I just love that bit of footage with Jamie (kicking the match-winner) where he has a couple of looks and he goes, ‘nah I’ll take this and take the moment’, and I love that.

“You see it with Beau in the last quarter too, where he probably could have centred it and there comes a time where certain players and Jamie is one of them, that just say: ‘OK if it has to be, it’s up to me’ and he just did it.”

If anything gives you an insight into Fly's leadership style, it's this.

He encourages the players to take risks and ownership of the team's situation during the game. He helps them overcome that fear of failure which has so often choked the club in the past.

If this is a taste of what's to come he has a magnificent future as a senior coach.

Ginni (along with Beau) are lucky to start their careers with Fly at the helm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jack Ginnivan (Traded to Hawks 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back