Player Watch Jack Ginnivan (Traded to Hawks 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

We literally just won a flag with our normie traded in for a 2nd rounder and Mitchell who also polled in the normie for a bag of peanuts.

Ginni was on the nose with our club, and we had no leverage. We were never going to get more than what they gave us.
They took away his ability to win (scam) free kicks, he was difficult to tackle and got away with a lot. Shut a good part of his avenue to goal down.

He will mature and become a genuine best 22 at the Dawks IMHO.

I would have Shultz ahead of him, so an upgrade for now but time will tell.

So your saying the decision to let him go was not Wright, Flies, Kellys. It was pendles, Bruz and Moore etc? Sorry I call bulltish. Not saying they were not consulted but I just cannot believe that a club as well run as ours would be letting players make list calls.
That's exactly what happened, it's not my problem you can't handle the truth.

Agree, seems like Wright likes to get deals done quickly, he could have tried to get a better deal, maybe ending up with no deal and a potentially disgruntled and disruptive Ginni on our list for another year. Rip the band-aid off, remove the distraction, free up the list space and get someone in with the potential to take the team forward.
Pretty good summation of what happened in a hurry, ambivalent about keeping, got an offer from Hawthorn, taken to senior players who advised moving him on, Ginni now at Hawthorn.

Oh no, carl is back. Manic doesn't think any player is worth recruiting and I have no particular player that I rate.
Manic referring to himself in the third person suggests he's not all there. Tries telling the punters about the plethora of great players available when all the evidence is clubs aren't enthused by this years group. One of the weakest draft crops ever, it's just the truth.

Sounds so legit. "Hey guys, wrighty here. Look we are keen to keep Ginny but he has been approached by the Hawks who have offered us a can of coke and a bag of chips. Whats your thoughts Darc and Bruz?" Moore replies "Coke and a bag of chips hey, yer do the deal Wrighty" Wrighty- "Done boys, so glad as list manager I can delegate to you boys to make the decisions."

Never have a seen a more inaccurate username.

Sounds so legit. "Hey guys, wrighty here. Look we are keen to keep Ginny but he has been approached by the Hawks who have offered us a can of coke and a bag of chips. Whats your thoughts Darc and Bruz?" Moore replies "Coke and a bag of chips hey, yer do the deal Wrighty" Wrighty- "Done boys, so glad as list manager I can delegate to you boys to make the decisions."

Never have a seen a more inaccurate username.
Info straight from a recent premiership coach, senior players wanted him gone and he is, like I said, you can't handle the truth even when it's straight infront of you.

We literally just won a flag with our normie traded in for a 2nd rounder and Mitchell who also polled in the normie for a bag of peanuts.

Ginni was on the nose with our club, and we had no leverage. We were never going to get more than what they gave us.
Not arguing that he was surplus to requirements, in fact I pitched him for trade as soon Schultz came on the radar. It’s the price at which we offload. He may have been on the nose, but other clubs still drive a harder bargain. Do you think we’ll get Bailey Smith for nothing? Doubtful.

Understand the decision to accept Henry’s trade because we were trying to get Mitchell to plug a need. Was Mitchell the difference this year? Not sure, he pushed Adam’s to a forward flank. In the end we got a premiership, 5 points the other way and you’re arguing we traded away our future.

I can’t see how Schultz by his performance and given he signalled he wanted to leave was worth a future first and second round pick. In my view the list managers don’t get kudos if you bring in a player and over pay. That trade resulted in the loss of Ginivan and at a significant discount based on performance. Don’t know too many small forwards that have shown as much as he has early in their careers.

I believe you. I think side by side became real. The group went next level in their connection and dedication to each other. My extremely uninformed, removed view is that Ginni fell short in this regard. The club let him go, quickly and cheaply, that says he was on the nose. Didn’t read the room in time. Senior players views would be held in the highest regard by the coaches and admin. Pendles is all but an on field coach.

Fly is usually pretty positive and he tried his very best to stay positive about Ginni after that GF.

I watched the Luke Darcy podcast yesterday as Fly was a guest.

I'm assuming this was done before the trade.

Fly really tried to hold back.

Clearly he was in the dog house.

Fly is usually pretty positive and he tried his very best to stay positive about Ginni after that GF.

Not disputing that but it's a bit strange because wasn't it Fly saying before the finals that earlier in the season when Ginni was out of the seniors he was training harder than anybody?

Might be a straw camel's back thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So your saying the decision to let him go was not Wright, Flies, Kellys. It was pendles, Bruz and Moore etc? Sorry I call bulltish. Not saying they were not consulted but I just cannot believe that a club as well run as ours would be letting players make list calls.

Strongly doubt our leadership group would have even been consulted.

The decision makers would / should have a pretty good idea about a player’s standing in the locker room without having to quiz the leadership group about it.

I listened to that podcast too. You could tell that Fly was upset about the races incident.

Not disputing that but it's a bit strange because wasn't it Fly saying before the finals that earlier in the season when Ginni was out of the seniors he was training harder than anybody?

Might be a straw camel's back thing.

Imagine if we’d lost the GF by 4 points, and Ginni going to the horsies the night before became a thing?

I’d imagine successful coaches are looking for players who can be trusted to do to the right thing (or not do the wrong thing) under the highest pressure conditions.

Imagine if we’d lost the GF by 4 points, and Ginni going to the horsies the night before became a thing?

I’d imagine successful coaches are looking for players who can be trusted to do to the right thing (or not do the wrong thing) under the highest pressure conditions.
That's where Jordy transitioned this year.
I'm sure Fly played a role in that transition.

Strongly doubt our leadership group would have even been consulted.

The decision makers would / should have a pretty good idea about a player’s standing in the locker room without having to quiz the leadership group about it.
I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the leadership group was consulted.

In fact, I’d be very surprised if they weren’t. Afterall, it directly impacts the team and I’m sure if Moore et al had a strong opinion in retaining a player, the club would. All part of the culture and placing some responsibility and empowering the leaders. The leaders assist in driving the direction and set the standards within the club.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the leadership group was consulted.

In fact, I’d be very surprised if they weren’t. Afterall, it directly impacts the team and I’m sure if Moore et al had a strong opinion in retaining a player, the club would. All part of the culture and placing some responsibility and empowering the leaders. The leaders assist in driving the direction and set the standards within the club.

I don’t really see how the leadership group’s opinion is all that relevant in this case.

“Hey Darcy, Hawthorn have offered Ginni more money on a longer contract than we have. He’s feeling the pinch for senior playing time, and wants to move for guaranteed opportunity. Whaddaya reckon?”

“Okay.”

That's where Jordy transitioned this year.
I'm sure Fly played a role in that transition.
More like Jacqui Louder did..

"Jacqui has been huge for me. I think she's just changed my mindset and changed my life, to be honest. Back in the day, I was just a young kid that wanted to have a good time. I was enjoying all the benefits that came with playing AFL footy and was just living in the moment," De Goey said.

"Unfortunately, sometimes the situations you put yourself in doesn't help the cause. That's what I did. I was in the moment having fun and hurting people around me. Now it's changing my mindset, making the right decisions, learning about trigger points, strengths and weaknesses in myself."

McRae didn't see much of De Goey across his first three months as senior coach. He couldn’t. De Goey wasn't permitted at the club while he awaited the outcome of a New York criminal court. But it is under the guidance of the three-time Brisbane premiership player with the Ted Lasso personality that has seen the midfielder blossom into a consistent A-grade player.

"I think he has just been more of a supporter, to be honest," De Goey said. "He takes a back seat as a coach and just wants to support you, get the best out of you, watch you grow as a person – that's what he cares about most. In turn, you play your best footy off being a good person and enjoying life. He has that holistic approach to footy and that seems to be working for me and a lot of the boys. It's not pressure on you, it's how is life? Can we help you? And then get into the nitty gritty of footy. He just cares about you as a person."

I don’t really see how the leadership group’s opinion is all that relevant in this case.

“Hey Darcy, Hawthorn have offered Ginni more money on a longer contract than we have. He’s feeling the pinch for senior playing time, and wants to move for guaranteed opportunity. Whaddaya reckon?”

“Okay.”
It also helped that he was a Hawks fan and Sam Mitchell was his idol.

If the leadership group didn't want him around, he wouldn't have played in the GF.

He does not fit our gameplan at all.
Defensive pressure, tackling.
Schultz is a huge upgrade.

“Okay.”
Yeah but I don’t think it went like that.
If we really wanted Ginnivan, we could have given him another couple of years or at least let him continue to play out his contract.

I don’t think Ginnivan was looking to leave the club. I think he may have felt dispensable in the end and given the moves happened in the last 24 hours post securing Schultz, it probably was the club he had become less committed to him. A player would know when they are on the outer. And I’m sure the club would have had a conversation with the leadership group to inform them there was a possibility that Ginnivan could be traded and whether they thought it would have a negative impact on the playing group.

It also helped that he was a Hawks fan and Sam Mitchell was his idol.

If the leadership group didn't want him around, he wouldn't have played in the GF.

He does not fit our gameplan at all.
Defensive pressure, tackling.
Schultz is a huge upgrade.
I really think this has no influence at all. Otherwise Pendles would be a Melbourne player, Naughton would ask to be traded to Collingwood etc etc. He was on his way out when he probably felt the club had no love for him and would have gone anywhere.

It’s not that the leadership group would instigated it. It’s a question of whether they would be consulted on the prospect on the club being open to trading him.

Again, I’d be highly surprised if the club didn’t have a conversation with Moore, Maynard etc.

I really think this has no influence at all. Otherwise Pendles would be a Melbourne player, Naughton would ask to be traded to Collingwood etc etc. He was on his way out when he probably felt the club had no love for him and would have gone anywhere.

It’s not that the leadership group would instigated it. It’s a question of whether they would be consulted on the prospect on the club being open to trading him.

Again, I’d be highly surprised if the club didn’t have a conversation with Moore, Maynard etc.
Let's just say no one knows why.
If Fly and Wrightie wanted him, he would still be with us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jack Ginnivan (Traded to Hawks 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back