Confirmed Jack Graham - Heads to West Coast as FA - Richmond Receive End of R2 Compo

Grahams Future

• Richmond Tigers

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Adelaide Crows

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • other

Votes: 23 41.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

That Article has it at 4 years but yeah get your point.

I have a feeling they look at the sides, their picks and their current draft hand in how they make the determination.

2019 Richmond - B Ellis is like band 3 on a 600k 5 contract to the Suns
2019 GWS - The deal listed above

Both Grand Finalists

With this, we have a glut of picks and they just looked at it threw something there after being criticised on the compensation earlier.

Here is a great question I would love to look at. Do you get better FA Compensation if the deal is done earlier in the window or later?
If this was the first FA that went through on Friday we would have received band 2 or 3. However after the criticism they received after the battle pick the next one was always going to receive less. Just like we got shafted with the Ellis compo pick we’ve been shafted again.
Sort of like the first striking offence in rd one player gets off, media up in arms, same thing happens in rd 3 and player gets 2 weeks.

I don't understand the relevance in comparing. Battle is a significantly better player and earned a much bigger and much longer contract.
There is none, Richmond fans are just having a sook because they don't know how the system works

Battle on 900k, perryman on 900k, cumming probably on 700-750k, and then Graham probably on 500k.
Imagine thinking Graham should fetch the same compo as any of the others there lmao

Not too sure what the big deal is

We would have been happy to trade him for that if it was a trade and most wanted him delisted anyway
people are just disappointed it was not a bonus pick but it is what it is and move on.

Bonus is we save $500k a year and next year when cap trading comes in $1 mil will buy you a 1st round pick
No issue with me about this result

Seems like he took a big paycut to join the Eagles. Very surprising to say the least
Probably did but that would be on the contract he has just come off

Last time he signed Crows & Blues chased him hard and Richmond signed him up to a bigger contract
This time Richmond offered him only a 3 year deal on low $$$ then made it 4 years

I would say the eagles offer would have been higher

To be fair, no one knows the system except the person who comes up with the compensation amounts.
True, but we know that the following things are taken into account:
  • Length of new deal
  • Players age
  • Salary earned over the duration of the new deal.

The only thing Jack has going for him there is being 26. A 4 year deal at around 500k which is what he's rumoured to be earning is absolute chump change for a UFA.

True, but we know that the following things are taken into account:
  • Length of new deal
  • Players age
  • Salary earned over the duration of the new deal.

The only thing Jack has going for him there is being 26. A 4 year deal at around 500k which is what he's rumoured to be earning is absolute chump change for a UFA.
Explain B Ellis netting us band 3/4 in 2019 please. Afl make it up as they go, anyone thinking otherwise is having a laugh.

Explain B Ellis netting us band 3/4 in 2019 please. Afl make it up as they go, anyone thinking otherwise is having a laugh.
Easy

• His contract was around 550-600k
  • He only got one more year than Graham

Hence the similar compensation. Comparing a free agency deal from 5 years ago is really clutching at straws anyway.

Allow me to explain the AFL’s thinking

“Richmond has lots of other good draft picks this year, so we’ll downgrade them a level”

Also “Saint Kilda are perennial strugglers, we’ll give them a little hand up”

The “formula” we use is “commercial in confidence” so we can’t tell you the details, but trust us, it’s completely on the level

“Richmond has lots of other good draft picks this year, so we’ll downgrade them a level”

The “formula” we use is “commercial in confidence” so we can’t tell you the details, but trust us, it’s completely on the level
Yes but you're missing one important factor

Graham isn't any good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100%. Anyone thinking the afl follow an exact formula and don’t change things depending on the club still believe in fairies.

Easy

• His contract was around 550-600k
  • He only got one more year than Graham

Hence the similar compensation. Comparing a free agency deal from 5 years ago is really clutching at straws anyway.
Not comparing Ellis to this year, compare him to Motlop from Geelong which I’m pretty sure was the same year which got the cats pick 19 which allowed them to trade for Gary Ablett. Afl make up rules as they go to allow for certain situations. Hence I believe the compensation pick should just be removed completely so clubs can’t manipulate things at the detriment of the rest of the competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed Jack Graham - Heads to West Coast as FA - Richmond Receive End of R2 Compo

Back