Player Watch Jack Gunston!

Remove this Banner Ad

We are extremely lucky to have him back, along with bruest, Sam would be over the moon to have the level of Gunston wanting to help out around the club. It’s pretty special how much Gunston is enjoying it to, this is how your build culture that lasts a very long time.

"I don’t care that I've played 256 games and I have to go back to play at Box Hill because the guys that I'm teaching are playing there. I enjoy just being at the footy club, teaching guys and seeing growth. If that's in the AFL team awesome, I hope I can contribute. If not, then it's teaching the guys at VFL level."

"I'm loving teaching the women's team the forward craft there," Gunston said. "There is a lot of stuff similar to the first-year players here, teaching patterns, teaching reaction time. The women's team ask a lot of questions – they want to learn – so it is also great for my development as well.

We are extremely lucky to have him back, along with bruest, Sam would be over the moon to have the level of Gunston wanting to help out around the club. It’s pretty special how much Gunston is enjoying it to, this is how your build culture that lasts a very long time.

"I don’t care that I've played 256 games and I have to go back to play at Box Hill because the guys that I'm teaching are playing there. I enjoy just being at the footy club, teaching guys and seeing growth. If that's in the AFL team awesome, I hope I can contribute. If not, then it's teaching the guys at VFL level."

"I'm loving teaching the women's team the forward craft there," Gunston said. "There is a lot of stuff similar to the first-year players here, teaching patterns, teaching reaction time. The women's team ask a lot of questions – they want to learn – so it is also great for my development as well.

Reading that AFL article on Jack's selflessness and lack of ego (how many star players would accept playing in the two's after being a 3 time premiership player and B&F winner?) made me proud to be a Hawks supporter and proud to have someone like Jack at the club. Kudos to him! A true champ.

Reading that AFL article on Jack's selflessness and lack of ego (how many star players would accept playing in the two's after being a 3 time premiership player and B&F winner?) made me proud to be a Hawks supporter and proud to have someone like Jack at the club. Kudos to him! A true champ.
he is an absolute Hawthorn champion.
I am so glad he decided to come home and even more excited to see what he is doing on the development front. Ifs and maybes, but I am strong in my belief that lions would have won the grannie last year had gunners been picked. Isn't that why they got him...premiership experience?

Goes around again for mine especially with Mitch Lewis out.
The coaching of Dear / Scaife / McCabe alone would be worth it. Injuries will occur though so would be handy to get another 10-15 games out of Jack next year.
If Jack and Luke both go on in 2025, we're going to have to delist some genuine talent.

Even more so if Barrass and Battle join.

Heard Sam say in one of his team breifings prior to hs 250th.

"Eearly in Jacks career, he thought it was all about him, when it wasn't it was about the team. Now, he's all abouth others and the team when it deserves to be all about him" or words to that effect.

If they don't have the ego I am happy for him an Breust to be around as players again next year.

Goes around again for mine especially with Mitch Lewis out.
The coaching of Dear / Scaife / McCabe alone would be worth it. Injuries will occur though so would be handy to get another 10-15 games out of Jack next year.

Hitting the scoreboard hard enough that it's hard to see him hanging it up entirely. Unless the GPS says he's dropping off a cliff.

Unreal the way he's running on smarts. On the weeks his body is a bit fresher, it's really apparent.

A good situation for 2025 would be having him on the list as depth and providing leadership and teaching at BHH. He doesn't need to play AFL every week or even most weeks to impact the campaign.

And from an individual player perspective if he's fit and can hit top form for a potential finals campaign then there's always a chance he can be directly involved in September.

If Jack and Luke both go on in 2025, we're going to have to delist some genuine talent.

Even more so if Barrass and Battle join.

If Mitch Lewis hadn’t of done his ACL then I’d say Gunston doesn’t play on however who is going to fill the Lewis Void if we don’t retain Jack?
Breust is still quality and if he can get fully fit again is a super backup to our young star forwards.

Chances are we won’t have the run we have had this year with our injury list again next year so we are going to need some serious depth in 2025. It’s the quality of the depth which will help us go deep into September in 2025.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A good situation for 2025 would be having him on the list as depth and providing leadership and teaching at BHH. He doesn't need to play AFL every week or even most weeks to impact the campaign.

And from an individual player perspective if he's fit and can hit top form for a potential finals campaign then there's always a chance he can be directly involved in September.
Amazing how he can miss a few weeks and lob back in the team as if he has been there all along.
Based on this I am happy for him to have a 1 year contract extension.

Could have done nothing on the field this year and getting him back is still a massive win for his role in the development of Calsher

Then you get that he has kicked 27 goals and been important in a number of wins

Last edited:
I will never not laugh at David King being confused and 'not able to understand why Hawthorn brought him back'. Last trade period.

What he is doing in his second stint here could have almost as big of an impact to the club as his first stint!

Brisbane lost last year's grand final through self inflicted wounds.
Not considering a proven finals' performer like Jack and preferring a flakey player like Hipwood was dumbness101.
Even this year Jack has been the more consistent , more accurate forward
Selection integrity like this is why the lions won't win a flag in the forseeable future

Jack is back. Just his movement, the way he’s marking, everything is like the Jack of old.

What he’s doing and saying about mentoring is just exquisite as well.

Please sign him and his mate Breust to one more year please 🙏
Thing is he never went away and been very good all year. Or certainly since round 8 when we turned things around. It's just people on here have been quick to write him off every time he doesn't kick 3+ goals

Thing is he never went away and been very good all year. Or certainly since round 8 when we turned things around. It's just people on here have been quick to write him off every time he doesn't kick 3+ goals

Not true.
There was a period he was looking out of sorts, unable to get in to good positions when we were attacking, unable to run hard enough to create pressure on the oppo, missing some easy marks he'd normally gobble, missing some shots that are bread and butter for his ability.
To me it just looked like he didn't have the tank or fitness levels to execute those basics once exhausted.
He's been cherry ripe the last month though and it's a beautiful thing to behold. :cool:

Not true.
There was a period he was looking out of sorts, unable to get in to good positions when we were attacking, unable to run hard enough to create pressure on the oppo, missing some easy marks he'd normally gobble, missing some shots that are bread and butter for his ability.
To me it just looked like he didn't have the tank or fitness levels to execute those basics once exhausted.
He's been cherry ripe the last month though and it's a beautiful thing to behold. :cool:
Looking at his stats – and again, after the Sydney game (as everyone was shit before then) – surely you can't say he hasn't had a great year? Geelong game was a shocker (as were many that day), St Kilda and Richmond quiet (think he was subbed at half time?), but other than that reckon many have been harsh on him.

Screen Shot 2024-08-20 at 2.45.18 pm.png

Looking at his stats – and again, after the Sydney game (as everyone was shit before then) – surely you can't say he hasn't had a great year? Geelong game was a shocker (as were many that day), St Kilda and Richmond quiet (think he was subbed at half time?), but other than that reckon many have been harsh on him.

View attachment 2085571

I think there's a far bit of space between you saying he's had a great year, and perhaps some thinking he was below par most of the year......

I think he's been great at the actual game of footy at times, and always been great as a Hawthorn person either match day or training.
My eyes tell me he was also struggling at a couple points but fought his way back strongly, all in all super happy with what he's been able to do.

View attachment 2085571

Crazy that he started the season kicking 4.12 and has kicked 23.4 since

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jack Gunston!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back