Player Watch Jack Gunston!

Remove this Banner Ad

convince you to stay bella thorne GIF by Famous in Love

Thing is he never went away and been very good all year. Or certainly since round 8 when we turned things around. It's just people on here have been quick to write him off every time he doesn't kick 3+ goals
Anyone who measures Gunston’s value in kicks/marks/handballs/goals is selling his role very short.

He’s one of those very valuable commodities - an on-field line assistant coach - whose value has increased significantly since the AFL limited the roles of runners during the game.

In game messages are difficult to deliver given you can’t send a runner out unless there’s a goal scored. Having Jack out there directing traffic and coaching Dear, Watson, McDonald, Chol whilst also getting his fair share at the same time has been crucial to our improvement as the year progresses.

Last edited:
I had my doubts that Gunston and Breust would carry the torch over with maturity and wisdom from our glory days and impart it onto our kids. But I was wrong and they’ve exceeded my expectations. I was at the Richmond game and Gunston’s poise in the forward line when Richmond were coming was a sight. We need players like him in the team beyond this year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reading that AFL article on Jack's selflessness and lack of ego (how many star players would accept playing in the two's after being a 3 time premiership player and B&F winner?) made me proud to be a Hawks supporter and proud to have someone like Jack at the club. Kudos to him! A true champ.
Contrast that to the tantrums at Essendon about Heppell at the moment. Not that he's instigating it but we've had a number of players that have ended their careers at Box Hill with fantastic attitudes. Whitecross, Ladson, Osbourne, Cam Bruce, Roughhead.

I’ll cop to being completely wrong about Jack. Living in Brisbane, seeing him play and also seeing him around town last year I thought he was completely washed. Was dead against him coming home. Thought I was a genius in the first two months of this season. Eating my words now.

He’s obviously been hugely important to Calsher’s development. But I don’t think you can underestimate how being given a “project” like Calsher has given a new lease of life to his own career too.

That's what a professional does he has been practicing kicking for goal a lot, by himself and with others along with Dear at training
Still can't kick from outside 50 like he used to but just on the 50 I've noticed he seems to have got that little bit of extra distance back again without spraying them all over the place. Have you noticed this to TFP?

Most important thing with him though is he just seems to be happy which after the last 12 months he's had it's awesome to see. Clasher mentioned on 360 tonight that we might see a Gunston goal celebration on the weekend. Not to sure what to expect if he actually does one 😂

Still can't kick from outside 50 like he used to but just on the 50 I've noticed he seems to have got that little bit of extra distance back again without spraying them all over the place. Have you noticed this to TFP?

Most important thing with him though is he just seems to be happy which after the last 12 months he's had it's awesome to see. Clasher mentioned on 360 tonight that we might see a Gunston goal celebration on the weekend. Not to sure what to expect if he actually does one 😂
Yeah mate he will not be able to kick it from outside 50. He just clocked up the hours on the track kicking for goal. All I can suggest for the goal celebration would be getting the walking stick out lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah mate he will not be able to kick it from outside 50. He just clocked up the hours on the track kicking for goal. All I can suggest for the goal celebration would be getting the walking stick out lol
Just imagine he kicks 4 and launches the walking stick celebration on the g 😂 the players would erupt

Anyone who measures Gunston’s value in kicks/marks/handballs/goals is selling his role very short.

He’s one of those very valuable commodities - an on-field line assistant coach - whose value has increased significantly since the AFL limited the roles of runners during the game.

In game messages are difficult to deliver given you can’t send a runner out unless there’s a goal scored. Having Jack out there directing traffic and coaching Dear, Watson, McDonald, Chol whilst also getting his fair share at the same time has been crucial to our improvement as the year progresses.
Hodge's role at Brisbane became massive when they stopped runners having a role. Big reason for their turnaround.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jack Gunston!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back