Traded Jack Higgins [Traded to St Kilda with #21 and a Future 4th Round Pick for #17 and a Future 2nd Round Pick]

Who won this trade?

• Richmond

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn’t be against this if he wanted to leave. But my preference would be for him to stay.

Some on this thread are judging him quite harshly. He had brain surgery not long ago. There’s substantial improvement in him from what he has put out over the last 12 months.

The injury plays a part, but it's not part of my thinking tbh and fairly irrelevant.

Even in his first year, when everyone were blowing smoke up his ass, it was all very premature.

This is a kid that was always going to hit the ground running. He dropped out of school in year 12 to concentrate on getting drafted and the TAC Cup. He was essentially a professional underage footballer for all purposes.

He dominated the Tac Cup as a midfielder and got drafted on those statistics. A position he will never be able to play full time at AFL level.

Athletically he is like 20 other average, sub 1 goal a game small forwards around the league.

He gets a decent amount of the ball per game, but out of his 40 odd games, he can probably count the losses he has played in on one hand.

Richmond are probably trying to trade him at the right time, because if he has an average year next year he's essentially worthless.

The injury plays a part, but it's not part of my thinking tbh and fairly irrelevant.

Even in his first year, when everyone were blowing smoke up his ass, it was all very premature.

This is a kid that was always going to hit the ground running. He dropped out of school in year 12 to concentrate on getting drafted and the TAC Cup. He was essentially a professional underage footballer for all purposes.

He dominated the Tac Cup as a midfielder and got drafted on those statistics. A position he will never be able to play full time at AFL level.

Athletically he is like 20 other average, sub 1 goal a game small forwards around the league.

He gets a decent amount of the ball per game, but out of his 40 odd games, he can probably count the losses he has played in on one hand.

Richmond are probably trying to trade him at the right time, because if he has an average year next year he's essentially worthless.
Because of his injury, id discount everything we saw from him bar his first season.

16 possies, a goal assist and a goal a game is a decent return per game for a first year player.

I’d back him to get better. You obviously disagree, but that’s Bigfooty.

Not sure he’d ever get to a Prestia level, but there’s plenty of spuds on club lists that are older and inferior than Higgins without the upside. Could end up a Kane Lambert type.

I don’t think the club are shopping him either, but you’ve obviously heard differently.

Because of his injury, id discount everything we saw from him bar his first season.

16 possies, a goal assist and a goal a game is a decent return per game for a first year player.

Not sure he’d ever get to a Prestia level, but there’s plenty of spuds on club lists that are older and inferior than Higgins without the upside. Could end up a Kane Lambert type.

I don’t think the club are shopping him either, but you’ve obviously heard differently.

It's coming from Sam Edmund.

It's coming from Sam Edmund.

As others have said, it wouldn't be the most surprising trade if a favourable offer came up and Higgins was open to it. Equal parts I'm sure we'd be happy to hold onto him. There's no need to pull the trigger on a sub par deal offered, unless he was desperate to get out which no one believes is the case.

I think Carlton should be keen. We need a small forward and he had plenty of talent to develop.

I’m not sure where his value sits after his serious injury...maybe somewhere around our pick 27??

would definitely be interested if he was available...

He did not average a goal a game in his first year though

Feel his value is probably mid second round but I’d be hesistant with that and more likely to deal for something in the third round.

I’m just not sure about his disposal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Health being well, he fits into a hole at Carlton.

If the interest for the move was there and if Carlton did split that pick #7......one late first goes for Saad and the other for Higgins.
If that was going to happen then you dont need to split the pick as Higgins+202 1st for pick #7 would be more attractive to Richmond than a later 1st rounder

He wouldn't be untouchable, so if a favourable offer came for the club and Higgins was open to a trade, it wouldn't be out of the question.

I know he's a much loved player and character around the club though, I think he's just slowly finding his feet after the brain surgery. With another preseason he's likely to be very much in the frame for selection.

My only query on him is he's in between a midfielder and a forward at this stage, and at his height we have a lot of shorter players in those sorts of positions and so maybe he is surplus to requirements,
Spot on, and Higgins has expressed concern about this. Bookmark this. Higgins to Melbourne

I'd say early second on performance, late first on potential.
And I would happily pay it to get him across.

He's getting pushed out by Richmond for a reason.

He's a slow, small half forward with no midfield potential. They are a dime a dozen around the league.

He doesn't suit their run and gun game plan reliant on leg speed and he's been dining out in the best side in the league since he was drafted.

Buyer beware imo.

The Saints interest is baffling considering they at least already have a slightly better goal kicking version in Lonie.

Disagree. He's very much a Richmond type player in that he's 'football smart'.

He mightn't be 'quick', but he's smart enough that he'll have taken a step or two before the average player even realises that's where the ball is going. Clever knock ons and putting the ball to your teammate's advantage are also 'Richmond' things that Higgins excels at.

I hope he stays, but could understand both other clubs having interest, and him looking for a fresh start.

That said, given he has another year on his contract and a lot of upside, I doubt the club would be entertaining any lowball offers. He was drafted as a late first and I imagine the least the club would be looking for something in that ballpark.

He's getting pushed out by Richmond for a reason.

He's a slow, small half forward with no midfield potential. They are a dime a dozen around the league.

He doesn't suit their run and gun game plan reliant on leg speed and he's been dining out in the best side in the league since he was drafted.

Buyer beware imo.

The Saints interest is baffling considering they at least already have a slightly better goal kicking version in Lonie.

Quite the opposite, will be a better mid than small forward, has good vision and composure around the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jack Higgins [Traded to St Kilda with #21 and a Future 4th Round Pick for #17 and a Future 2nd Round Pick]

Back