Traded Jack Higgins [Traded to St Kilda with #21 and a Future 4th Round Pick for #17 and a Future 2nd Round Pick]

Who won this trade?

• Richmond

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Tigers fans, do you think he can get back to the form he showed in 2018/19?

I love the kid so I am sincere in saying I hope so, but I dont think he can. Saints would know, considering your dealings with McCartin, head knocks are serious issue. Jack before his brain injury, his major trait was his ability to get the inside ball as a small forward, which meant we also used him at times as a pinch hitting inside mid. Obviously Jack going into contests head first is not ideal. So we changed his role this year and unfortunately his lack of defensive accountability and his lack of tank and size worked against him so he was dropped and never returned.

I am stoked with the trade to be honest. Considering how compromised the draft is this year, to still be able to get to pick the 17th best kid after winning the flag is a win. We also have flexibility in next years draft by getting the saints second rounder. We also have removed a player who obviously believed he could not crack into our best 22 and wants to play games now that has serious health risks attached.

We also have Maurice Rioli Jnr coming to the club.

Considering we have just won our 3rd flag in 4 years and how our cap space is atm and we still need to reward our depth who people forget won the VFL flag last year ( only 2 players missing from that side in Butler, and Markov, Higgins was out due to brain surgery), we did well.

Well obviously I was getting at I don't see how higgo gets in if the saints had a fit 22.

Or key players not attending the birth but following covid rules for their 7th child.
Doubt he'll be fighting for a spot at CHB with Jake Carlisle so that isn't really relevant.

As I said, Gresham comes in and both Kent and Lonie go out in the forward 50.

There's a spot there for him.

You'd be in the minority thinking he won't be best 22 but that's your opinion.

That Dustin Martin looks good, Was a Saints supporter so should fit right in.

(as long he changes his name to jack)

Since missing out on the better Reiwoldt, you guys just can't resist anyone called Jack, can you?

I reckon Kent and Lonie's spots are already both taken tbh, by Crouch and Gresh. Crouch obviously not a forward but will push a rotation into Kent/Lonie's position.

I think Higgins takes Sinclair's spot.

After trying to offload some of the fringe guys to no avail, it's actually not a bad position having AFL capable depth on pretty much all lines with Geary, Savage, Webster, Roberton down back, Dunstan, Sinclair and Bytel/Byrnes in the mids, Kent and Lonie up forward etc.
I had Crouch taking Sinclair's spot as it's more a like for like, but whatever way you want to spin it there's a spot for him

Doubt he'll be fighting for a spot at CHB with Jake Carlisle so that isn't really relevant.

As I said, Gresham comes in and both Kent and Lonie go out in the forward 50.

There's a spot there for him.

You'd be in the minority thinking he won't be best 22 but that's your opinion.

To help this conversation go faster, can you tell me the best 22 ) the majority opinion. Cheers.

This thread is full of saints fans saying how good the saints list is so I'd be most grateful

To help this conversation go faster, can you tell me the best 22 ) the majority opinion. Cheers.

This thread is full of saints fans saying how good the saints list is so I'd be most grateful

Paton - Howard - Wilkie
Clark - Carlisle - Coffield

Ryder - Steele - Jones
Hill - Crouch - Hannebery

Billings - Membrey - Gresham
Marshall - King - Butler

Ross - Battle - Long - Higgins

Could have Billings on the wing, Higgins at HFF and Hannebery on the bench but that's just semantics. I think this is the majority opinion best 22. Still have some work to do on our list but overall we have a couple solid depth options for each line so the list is shaping up nicely. Main things to address now is a young ruck/fwd to replace Ryder for Marshall to pair with and a young FB/CHB to replace Carlisle (getting older with a bad back).

We still have work to do, we aren't that good yet, but we a very young

Wilkie - Howard - Paton
Coffield - Carlisle - Clark
Billings - Steele - Hill
Gresham - Membrey - Higgins
Butler - King - Marshall

Ryder - Crouch - Jones

Ross, Hannebery, Battle, Long

Won't really know until we see what our pick 17 and next year's 2nd and Saints pick 21 this does.
This years draft could be random though, but our next years second could be a important pick when it comes to points for other teams next year.

anyone who thinks higgins wont be best 22 at the saints is dreaming.

he was best 22 for us. since his debut he has played 43 of 68 possible games. of the games missed, 9 were from his brain injury and 4 were from a calf injury he sustained just before finals this year. that means he played 43 of 55 games, and thats being conservative (who knows whether his brain injury impacted his form before it was found). You could make a good argument that he would have been the one to replace aarts in the finals this year had he been fit.

I won’t his my disappointment to see him go, I was also hoping the Tigers would get more for him.

This is a good way to try and break the deal done. When you look at it like Higgins for pick 23 you cannot say it isn’t a fair deal.

But its not higgins for pick 23. its higgins for pick 35 and a minor pick upgrade.

pick upgrade points mean jack shit when its only a couple places and the club has no academy selections. which we wont ever have because we havent been given an existing afl heartland to pilfer.

But its not higgins for pick 23. its higgins for pick 35 and a minor pick upgrade.

pick upgrade points mean jack sh*t when its only a couple places and the club has no academy selections. which we wont ever have because we havent been given an existing afl heartland to pilfer.
With draft points, academies and future picks it’s very rare we’ll see genuine swaps any more.

Look at basically every other trade that’s being made there’s always upgrading swapping of picks going on. Gone are the days of clean cut deals.

Let’s hope the club now land an absolute gem with our higher pick and can land another star with the second round pick for next year in what looks to be a really strong draft. The club and recruiters deserve respect and to be backed in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon we got him pretty cheap tbh, basically for a future second. I'm stoked with that.

Good luck with the rest of trade period, Tigers.

I reckon we got him pretty cheap tbh, basically for a future second. I'm stoked with that.

Good luck with the rest of trade period, Tigers.

Well i think the saints did well for a player they wanted and Richmond supporters would have been happy with a pick between 20-25 but when we reak it down its really not that bad or not that great.

pick 20 this year will most likely drift 5 spots so we can just call it 25 , 2021 draft will be chocker block full
they mentioned some names on trade radio like Bont , Dunkley , MaCrae , Oliver , Makay , Curnow and a few more that were undraftable before their last year
when we factor the players that missed this year onto next years lot the draft will be loaded and a pick mid 30's would be more like 18-25 of this year

The 4 pick upgrade this year could mean the difference between getting a player like Zach Reid which we would be stoked with.

I think looking at some of the trades this year Witherden , Stephenson , Fogarty , Brown , Narkle and a few more its looks fair to both teams

Hope Higgins has a great future & Hope Richmond pickup the next gun at #17 and the Next Shai Bolton with St Kilda's 2nd rounder in 2021

Reckon this trade is a genuine win / win. Jack comes with some risks but could still become a star of the comp. Tigers have plenty like him already and get fair compo while the Saints get a player who will make them better. Good result all round for mine.

Reckon this trade is a genuine win / win. Jack comes with some risks but could still become a star of the comp. Tigers have plenty like him already and get fair compo while the Saints get a player who will make them better. Good result all round for mine.
Yep take note Essendon fans this is what happens when you have 2 professional well ran football clubs at the trade table no posturing or ridiculous demands and a fair outcome for both sides at the end 👍😊

Thought we may get slightly better on this one but was more hopeful than anything. Think saints win this one as I’m confident Higgins will be a player, saying that with our tract record we could turn that 2nd rd pick next year into a future star so I’m not too upset. Probably a bit disappointed that Higgins didn’t stay and fight his way into being a best 22 player.

were they best 22?

st kilda is not my strongest point
Kent wouldn't have been. Would have been pushed out if Gresham was available.

Think Higgins and Sinclair (very similar types), will be fighting it out for that 22nd spot, with Crouch pushing Lonie out.

Sinclair played some good footy late in the year, so if we're not able to fit him in we're going well.

Damn, little Higgo for a 4 pick down grade and a pick in the late 30’s next year?

Why do other teams keep making it so easy for us.
Jack will be solid for 100+ games player with the Saints. Not sure he would have been at the Tigers. Even if he hasnt the upside of other players his age, he will be a solid contributor for your side. Hope he does well.

Pick swap was fair. In hindsight Saints probably could have got Treloar with that deal or thereabouts. Saints were his preferred destination as well apparently.

I reckon Kent and Lonie's spots are already both taken tbh, by Crouch and Gresh. Crouch obviously not a forward but will push a rotation into Kent/Lonie's position.

I think Higgins takes Sinclair's spot.

After trying to offload some of the fringe guys to no avail, it's actually not a bad position having AFL capable depth on pretty much all lines with Geary, Savage, Webster, Roberton down back, Dunstan, Sinclair and Bytel/Byrnes in the mids, Kent and Lonie up forward etc.
That is pretty outrageous depth. Plus McKernan and maybe Frawley.

Possibly about $2mil running around in the VFL next year!

Jack will be solid for 100+ games player with the Saints. Not sure he would have been at the Tigers. Even if he hasnt the upside of other players his age, he will be a solid contributor for your side. Hope he does well.

Pick swap was fair. In hindsight Saints probably could have got Treloar with that deal or thereabouts. Saints were his preferred destination as well apparently.

There is a whole lot of shit with the Treloar situation that I’m kind of glad we didn’t get involved in. Feel there is a bucket load more to that story on both sides than just a salary dump.
At least with Higgins what you see is what you get and 6 years younger and much cheaper

For the saints i think that probably would have been a much better option

Higgins would have been on $350k at the tigers so you would think $400k x 3/4 years at the saints and with the Pies paying $300k of treloar contract leaving $600k only $200k a year difference and same draft pick would have been used. Plus Treloar would have preferred to play at the saints than the Doggies

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jack Higgins [Traded to St Kilda with #21 and a Future 4th Round Pick for #17 and a Future 2nd Round Pick]

Back