Jack R = Hurley bitch

Remove this Banner Ad

Last night is exactly what he'll do for us: play wherever we need him.

We needed to stop Jack, and Hurley pantsed him.

We needed a lethal forward set up, and Hurley went up with immediate success.

What I loved most was seeing him immediately instructing teammates where to position themselves, and every one of them listening.

It's no coincidence that we piled on the goals with him making the switch.

Anyone else hear on the radio that Hurley's mouth guard fell out, Riewoldt picked it up and threw it away. Essendon trainer went and got it and gave it to Hurley. Hurley put it in his mouth, smiled at Jack and pointed to the scoreboard? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Need a list of Hurley's Bitches

Tredrea
N Riewoldt
J Pod
J Riewoldt
Q Lynch
Welsh (Bulldogs a few years ago when Hurley kicked his 1st goal) smashed him that day.

about his spoiling, He also uses his body to make contact with opposition players instead of using his hands, the momentum of his body often pushes the forwards off balance.
When he plays forward:

S Gilham
H Taylor

others? Can't remember anyone else

He consistantly put a little extra on those spoils as if to rub Jack's nose in it.

Absolutely destroyed him.

He got one legitimate shot on goal against Hurley and that is only because Hurley slipped over.

Hurley needs to be a forward.

I'm not budging on this point until we have a young key forward who can step up and do for us what Hurley has done while forward. For every awesome game he has played down back (vs Port R1 2008, vs Nick Riewoldt in 2009, vs Geelong and vs Riewoldt last night) there is a round 22 2008 forward performance, or another occasion when he has kicked 4 or 5.

We've got two proven key defenders in Hooker and Pears and I think there is a good chance that the combination of Hooker/Pears/Carlisle will be the foundation of an outstanding backline for 10-15 years. I am a lot less confident that our forward looks as set, especially without Hurley.

Hurley is needed forward...like Dermie says, forwards are much harder to find

Anyone else hear on the radio that Hurley's mouth guard fell out, Riewoldt picked it up and threw it away. Essendon trainer went and got it and gave it to Hurley. Hurley put it in his mouth, smiled at Jack and pointed to the scoreboard? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

LOL. I think that's a win to Jack, at least he got something over Hurley last night :)

Mike Hurley

Definitely the guy who prevented The Tigers from overrunning us and then went forward to help the charge to Victory. The guy was solid as a rock in defense against Riewoldt and then moved forward where he helped create havoc. Did an even greater job on Geelong's Mathew Scarlet (the greatest fullback since sliced bread) the week before. I just hope that knock he received is just superficial.

Sorry, mod!! I just saw the other thread after I posted this. I just thought we should give Hurley an official green toast, but found none. My bad. :eek:

Hurley needs to be a forward.

I'm not budging on this point until we have a young key forward who can step up and do for us what Hurley has done while forward. For every awesome game he has played down back (vs Port R1 2008, vs Nick Riewoldt in 2009, vs Geelong and vs Riewoldt last night) there is a round 22 2008 forward performance, or another occasion when he has kicked 4 or 5.

We've got two proven key defenders in Hooker and Pears and I think there is a good chance that the combination of Hooker/Pears/Carlisle will be the foundation of an outstanding backline for 10-15 years. I am a lot less confident that our forward looks as set, especially without Hurley.

Hurley is needed forward...like Dermie says, forwards are much harder to find
The ratio is actually closure to 1:2 forward:back. Hawthorn 2009, Geelong, Hawthorn 10. Where else? He's a defender

Absolutely pantsed him. He did it with aggression, smarts and strength.

He effectively bullied him all night, threw him around, made sure the soils were hard and ensured jack had to taste turf on more than one occassion.

It's like the Lara Bingle advert: Where the bloody hell are you? Nobody knows - he's here, he's there, he's Mighty Mouse!! It's wonderful to be a full forward and kick goals to the accolades of the Essendon supporters. High fives and hugs are in order. Punch the ball away from Riewoldt and all he get's is a pat on the head if he's lucky, otherwise, if he wins the ball, he just romps upfield and sends the ball to a team mate.

But Jimmy has to work out which is more important - shut down Riewoldt for the game or/and send Hurley up forward to create havoc. I felt he was out Most Valuable PLayer last night, although this was from lying on my back and watching it on TV. :(

For me, I'll just say "Leave it to Jimmy!"

It quite a luxury to have a swing player of Hurls caliber, up forward to help create goals, or down back to completely shut down a key forward.

But i wonder which position he prefers, last night after the game Howey spoke to Hurls, and he said "you always love a bit of consistency, but Hird asked me to do the job and i loved it." seems like he would prefer to be given a fixed position rather than being swung around.

Personally love seeing him up forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love the way he's been used over the past fortnight.

Definitely a backman who should only be used tactically as a pinch forward to upset opponents key structures.

Which begs the question, why won't they bring Gumbleton back in!

Essendon needs Hurley forward, full stop. Even though he didn't kick a goal we functioned much better up forward last night when he went there. The fact that he can destroy an opponent defensively doesn't take away from the fact that we have Pears and Hooker who are very good KPDs.

Playing Hurley up forward means if our midfield is getting smashed we can swing him down back until they get back on top.

What most people need to understand that defending is easier then attacking, providing you have the strength to compete.

A player to compare Hurley to is Steven Silvagni. He could have dominated either end of the ground and would have prefered to be a forward. Carlton did not need him up forward as Kernahan was a star and they got Spalding to do a job at CHF. So he was played down back.

Hurley could dominate the game at either end. We don't need him down back but do need a KPF as Crameri is not a KPF, he is a 3rd tall/midfielder. It will also take longer for him to develop up forward as he has to make the play rather than just react to an opposition forward.

Essendon needs Hurley forward, full stop. Even though he didn't kick a goal we functioned much better up forward last night when he went there. The fact that he can destroy an opponent defensively doesn't take away from the fact that we have Pears and Hooker who are very good KPDs.

Playing Hurley up forward means if our midfield is getting smashed we can swing him down back until they get back on top.

What most people need to understand that defending is easier then attacking, providing you have the strength to compete.

A player to compare Hurley to is Steven Silvagni. He could have dominated either end of the ground and would have prefered to be a forward. Carlton did not need him up forward as Kernahan was a star and they got Spalding to do a job at CHF. So he was played down back.

Hurley could dominate the game at either end. We don't need him down back but do need a KPF as Crameri is not a KPF, he is a 3rd tall/midfielder. It will also take longer for him to develop up forward as he has to make the play rather than just react to an opposition forward.
Despite the fact that when he played FB against Geelong, who have a top 2 defence in the league, we scored 115 points? And then a week later we played him forward for 15 minutes and we scored 105. When you look at premiership defences since Geelong 07 they look like:

Mackie-Scarlett-Hunt
Enright-Harley/Lonergan-Milburn
(Taylor/Egan)

Brown-Gilham-Guerra
Hodge-Croad-Birchall

Toovey-Brown-Maxwell
Shaw-Reid-O'Brien

From that: 2 flexible backs, 2 big defenders and 2 small defenders. For us:

Pears-Hooker-Hardingham
Dempsey-Hurley-Heppell

Pears and Hardingham: flexible, Hooker and Hurley: big, Dempsey and Heppell: Small.

Also; only one of those teams had a super forward line. We don't need one. Just need targets who straighten us up. Carlisle, Crameri and Ryder/Bellchambers do that.

Despite the fact that when he played FB against Geelong, who have a top 2 defence in the league, we scored 115 points? And then a week later we played him forward for 15 minutes and we scored 105. When you look at premiership defences since Geelong 07 they look like:

Mackie-Scarlett-Hunt
Enright-Harley/Lonergan-Milburn
(Taylor/Egan)

Brown-Gilham-Guerra
Hodge-Croad-Birchall

Toovey-Brown-Maxwell
Shaw-Reid-O'Brien

From that: 2 flexible backs, 2 big defenders and 2 small defenders. For us:

Pears-Hooker-Hardingham
Dempsey-Hurley-Heppell

Pears and Hardingham: flexible, Hooker and Hurley: big, Dempsey and Heppell: Small.

Also; only one of those teams had a super forward line. We don't need one. Just need targets who straighten us up. Carlisle, Crameri and Ryder/Bellchambers do that.

I dispute that they do. Not one of them can compete in the air, hold up a pack, lead hard, compete on the ground and aply defensive pressure. Hurley is the only guy in the team that can do that. We play him forward and the rest can do some of the things that Hurley can do.

Hurley is only playing back because of the absence of Hooker. That is over next week I think.

To use someone like Hurley who capable of being a "game changer" as someone who is there to stop an opposition "game changer" is silly in the long term. We have guys who are capable of stopping forwards yet can't provide what Hurley does up forward.

I don't dispute that Hurley makes a great backman. It will be better for the team if he plays forward. I will only change my mind if it becomes clear that he'll never be a very good forward.

Some people need to realise that it is easier to destroy than it is to create.

Over many years now Essendon always have had problems shutting down KPF's, we have been destroyed by so many of them it is not funny, even Pods and Riewoldt got hold of us last season, time after time we have had players kick 5-10 goals against us. Hurley has stopped this.
might be more valuable then people think.

Over many years now Essendon always have had problems shutting down KPF's, we have been destroyed by so many of them it is not funny, even Pods and Riewoldt got hold of us last season, time after time we have had players kick 5-10 goals against us. Hurley has stopped this.
might be more valuable then people think.

Yeah! you are right. But Nobody believes a player is doing all that much unless he is kicking goals or assisting in kicking goals. Somehow few here even remember that last week, Hurley was playing in the forward line, but his job was to negate Mathew Scarlet's ability to go onto the offensive.

Hurley is an extremely valuable commodity in the side in that he can shut down somebody if that is what Jimmy needs.

Forward, backline, who the bloody hell cares? as long as he is doing a superb job to help the team win (and I assume here that is the primary objective) then I am happy wherever and whatever Jimmy wants him to play. Does anyone here has any problems with that?

I'm happy for Hurley to be one of the best swingmen in the comp as we still have a few other potential key forwards up our sleeve. Once Fletcher retires Hurley could form a strong combination with Pears and Hooker. Or in he forward line with a Crameri and hopefully a Gumbleton or much later on an up and coming Joe Daniher.

In the mean time Ryder and Hille can fill the gap in combination and Fletcher can continue to play that third tall role to perfection.

Somehow few here even remember that last week, Hurley was playing in the forward line, but his job was to negate Mathew Scarlet's ability to go onto the offensive.

wut? 6

I dispute that they do. Not one of them can compete in the air, hold up a pack, lead hard, compete on the ground and aply defensive pressure. Hurley is the only guy in the team that can do that. We play him forward and the rest can do some of the things that Hurley can do.

Hurley is only playing back because of the absence of Hooker. That is over next week I think.

To use someone like Hurley who capable of being a "game changer" as someone who is there to stop an opposition "game changer" is silly in the long term. We have guys who are capable of stopping forwards yet can't provide what Hurley does up forward.

I don't dispute that Hurley makes a great backman. It will be better for the team if he plays forward. I will only change my mind if it becomes clear that he'll never be a very good forward.

Some people need to realise that it is easier to destroy than it is to create.
That's exactly what Crameri does. Nice work there

That may be the case, but he has shown that he is a far better defender than the other two ATM. And a better defender than forward

I like defence over forward. Probably because I was a FB when I played footy

Did anyone else notice that one of the free footy cards with the AFL Record, (the other was Richmond's Daniel Jackson), was Hurley? Must've been an omen.
I still can't believe he got back up after that massive blow to the ribs - let alone his domination of Jack (who's body language is pretty poor).

I love the way he's been used over the past fortnight.

Definitely a backman who should only be used tactically as a pinch forward to upset opponents key structures.

Which begs the question, why won't they bring Gumbleton back in!

Agree! The flexibility he lends to gameday strategy as a result of his ability is awesome. When you think of not only Gumby but the potential of Carlisle to enter the team, next year already feels exciting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack R = Hurley bitch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back