Rumour Jack Steven Rumour

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's called sick leave. You get 10 a year, no one ever uses them when they're actually sick. Doesn't make them for 'mental health'

Never has anything been as over-diagnosed as 'mental health'. Everyone who has a bad day now is 'depressed', everyone who failed a test, or faced any kind of adversity uses it as an excuse. No dummy, you had a bad day, that's it. Pull your socks up...We are so much less resilient now, it's sad

Schizophrenia, anorexia etc are mental health issues. Being sad for a bit isn't. Taking drugs certainly isn't

Wow. Thanks for the daily reminder how dumb and incredible ignorant some people are. Cheers.

It's called sick leave. You get 10 a year, no one ever uses them when they're actually sick. Doesn't make them for 'mental health'

Never has anything been as over-diagnosed as 'mental health'. Everyone who has a bad day now is 'depressed', everyone who failed a test, or faced any kind of adversity uses it as an excuse. No dummy, you had a bad day, that's it. Pull your socks up...We are so much less resilient now, it's sad

Schizophrenia, anorexia etc are mental health issues. Being sad for a bit isn't. Taking drugs certainly isn't

And you are basing this on?

People who suffer depression often take drugs and alcohol. They self medicate.
Very true. It’s so much easier, and doesn’t require the motivation that going and getting help often requires.

I might not be alive here today if it wasn’t for my work noticing the change in my behaviours and supporting me to get the help I needed. One, I didn’t really realise how bad I was; secondly I wouldn’t have been bothered to do anything even if I could. Seriously lacked any drive to get up each day.

Still a massive stigma around young men especially around getting help for mental health issues. So the more people like jack who are brave enough to tell the world they are not doing all that great right now, is really beneficial to many out there who really don’t see a light at the end of the tunnel.

He was at the Saints JLT game today so I find that rumour hard to believe, if he was that unpopular with the other players he wouldn't be there at all.

The footy media forgave Gary Lyons pretty quickly after doing something similar.

The footy media yes rest all of geelong never forgets lol

A bit unfair at the moment to be having this discussion.

There’s a lot of commentary about mental health being used to shield attention etc but until you truly know it’s a lie it’s a good idea to not suggest it.

Imagine in real life someone you know admits to having issues mentally but you dismiss them as a deflection. Then they commit suicide. How would you feel?

Feeling pissed off or cheated in some way because somebody lied sucks, but trivialising someone’s issues then having them kill themselves would feel even shittier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should the AFL bring in a rule that stipulates a minimum of say 8-12 weeks off for players who have mental health issues?

Players wouldn't use it as a willy nilly excuse anymore, and I'm not saying Jack Steven is fwiw.
8-12 weeks might be a little harsh and have players and or teams potentially cover it up.

6 weeks sounds about right. Would rub out a lot of the potential grey area as you said and isn't too long of a period that players would cover up real issues

Fair enough, Why not though.

Mental health isn't something we should take lightly, 8 weeks minimum to get them the help they need sounds good to me.

Because ur going to make it far far harder for players with mental health issues to come forward because no one wants to be forced to sit out for months

Because ur going to make it far far harder for players with mental health issues to come forward because no one wants to be forced to sit out for months

I suppose maybe but I doubt any player with genuine issues who is willing to speak up will worry about this rule as it's clearly there to aid them with the appropriate time off.

I suppose maybe but I doubt any player with genuine issues who is willing to speak up will worry about this rule as it's clearly there to aid them with the appropriate time off.

Maybe some players just want 1-2 weeks off to get their heads in a better space, getting back to work can actually be good for people... but you're forcing them into a set period of suspension that won't be best for the majority of people.

Maybe some players just want 1-2 weeks off to get their heads in a better space, getting back to work can actually be good for people... but you're forcing them into a set period of suspension that won't be best for the majority of people.
Sorry but don't we all want 1-2 weeks off work every now & then?! That doesn't constitute 'mental health'

I think there's some merit to a minimum time off if you use that leave to seek professional help, advice, counselling etc.

Gotta agree with this. An arbitrary length would only make players feel more pressure to step away if required. Not to mention, 6 weeks out of the system could do more harm than good. Sometimes the routine is a good thing.

Sorry but don't we all want 1-2 weeks off work every now & then?! That doesn't constitute 'mental health'

I think there's some merit to a minimum time off if you use that leave to seek professional help, advice, counselling etc.

What nonsense. People wanting more time away from work has nothing to do with people with depression taking medical leave.

The problem with a set defined period of absence is everyone is different, some people need a long time to get better and others only a short time... "One size fits all" is a garbage method, and will do lots of harm because studies show that getting back to work and in a regular routine can be really beneficial.

Also far less people are going to put their hands up if they know they'll be forced to sit of playing for months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back