Traded Jack Steven [traded to Geelong for #58]

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints pushing for 24, don't think we'll get it.

Cats playing hard ball.

Can't see the Saints keeping him to his contract and i cant see Geelong letting him go when it's probably their last tilt at a flag for a fair while.

I think they'll settle on one of those picks in the 30's.

Seems to me, 2020 could well be Geelong's final tilt at a flag for a while. This year at various times Geelong still relied heavily on Selwood, Hawkins and Ablett to get them over the line. At least two, if not all three, will retire at the end of next year.

Stevens at least partially covers the loss of Kelly in the short term.

I feel like St Kilda hold some pretty decent cards here.
Geelong is done with premiership tilts. Its rebuild time.

Kelly isnt potentially another mitch clark. Stevens may only play a handful of games. Geelong is not giving a second rounder up again for mitch clark mark 2.

Any player can experience a mishap derailing their career so that's a weak argument. Stevens when fit is easily worth a first rounder.
Saints should go after that pick 24 which is fair value, Geelong don't want to pay then so be it. Clubs need to stop falling for this poor ol' Geelong boy wanting to return home story and get more than fair value like Geelong have showed in Kelly trade.

Geelong is done with premiership tilts. Its rebuild time.

Why chase Stevens then.. makes no sense. As long as Ablett is playing you'll keep trying for that flag. He gets nothing by playing an extra year if you're rebuilding.

Any player can experience a mishap derailing their career so that's a weak argument. Stevens when fit is easily worth a first rounder.
Saints should go after that pick 24 which is fair value, Geelong don't want to pay then so be it. Clubs need to stop falling for this poor ol' Geelong boy wanting to return home story and get more than fair value like Geelong have showed in Kelly trade.
What club fell for that apart from the Crows? Mind you Danger was uncontracted.

What club fell for that apart from the Crows? Mind you Danger was uncontracted.

I think youve created a new trading level based on the draft bonanza you've squeezed out for Kelly, even with uncontracted status. I'm waiting to see how clubs turn when dealing with you. Steven will be a good starting point now.

Last edited:
Any player could. Stevens already has.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't blame the Cats for not wanting to pay a high price for Steven, in fact spending anything decent pick-wise seems pretty stupid. Fat, no match fitness, and off-field issues make it highly unlikely that he'd contribute much in at least the first half of the season. May as well wait another few months and take him as UFA, as it's him that wants Geelong more than Geelong wants him. Pick 37 with some of his salary paid by the Saints would be OK for the level of risk, anything higher is simply a poor business decision.

Did Geelong get fair value for any of Christensen, McCarthy or Josh Walker.

Did Geelong get fair value for any of Christensen, McCarthy or Josh Walker.

Like I said, you've created a new ruthless trading Geelong from Kelly trade. While it's almost peter bell like, don't be shocked or horrified when clubs do that in return to you.

Fyi - McCarthy was fringe for you at best, same with Walker. Christensen was value but you took his personal circumstances in play and helped him get out of town. Could have fetched more there, had to settle for 21 (I think) in the end.

Like I said, you've created a new ruthless trading Geelong from Kelly trade. While it's almost peter bell like, don't be shocked or horrified when clubs do that in return to you.

Fyi - McCarthy was fringe for you at best, same with Walker. Christensen was value but you took his personal circumstances in play and helped him get out of town. Could have fetched more there, had to settle for 21 (I think) in the end.
We just concluded arguably the biggest trade of the off-season in the first few days. No one else has even come close to completing anything yet we've negotiated and closed it already. Hardly call that ruthless. Tim and his family are back in WA with a 6-year contract content in the knowledge that he'll be able to play out the rest of his career at home. Ruthless would have been holding him out of contract until the last few hours with the draft looming and the potential for him to be packing his bags and shipping off to the Gold Coast.

We just concluded arguably the biggest trade of the off-season in the first few days. No one else has even come close to completing anything yet we've negotiated and closed it already. Hardly call that ruthless. Tim and his family are back in WA with a 6-year contract content in the knowledge that he'll be able to play out the rest of his career at home. Ruthless would have been holding him out of contract until the last few hours with the draft looming and the potential for him to be packing his bags and shipping off to the Gold Coast.

This is massive for an uncontracted player.. no wonder you became all compassionate, took it and ran.

The Cats will receive selections 14, 24 and 37 in the 2019 AFL national draft and the Eagles first selection in the 2020 AFL national draft in return for Kelly, Geelong’s pick 57 in the 2019 AFL national draft and a third-round selection in 2020.

This is massive for an uncontracted player.. no wonder you became all compassionate, took it and ran.

The Cats will receive selections 14, 24 and 37 in the 2019 AFL national draft and the Eagles first selection in the 2020 AFL national draft in return for Kelly, Geelong’s pick 57 in the 2019 AFL national draft and a third-round selection in 2020.
But this is all just opinion based. The Eagles could have declined our asking price and haggled further, they were obviously comfortable to pay the price on only the 3rd day of trade when no one else looks like making even a minor trade as of yet. If anything 16 other clubs will look even more favourably on Geelong and West Coast for just getting this done as quick as possible.

If our reputation is taking a hit, imagine what's happening to Sydney's, Essendon's, Adelaide's, GWS' etc.
Can't even close out deals for comparable minnows in Papley, Fantasia, Patton, Betts, Keath etc.

Saints, Freo and Hill.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jack Steven [traded to Geelong for #58]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back