Traded Jack Steven [traded to Geelong for #58]

Remove this Banner Ad

No because Steven is not the only player we can trade for. Once the price is too high to be value we trade for soneone who is better value.
Well maybe. But lets be honest here, there are not exactly a lot of instant plug and play top level midfielders just floating around during this trade week.

The only other possible, but highly unlikely guy, is Brouch and he would cost a motza.

Fixed that up for you

Yep, would rather keep Steven than get Jones. Also, if Cats get Steven then they actually need him for 2020 while Ablett, Taylor, Hawkins, Selwood, Danger are still keeping your window open. 2021 will be too late IMO. He could be an absolute weapon for you blokes without the burden of single-handedly carrying our putrid midfield.

Well maybe. But lets be honest here, there are not exactly a lot of instant plug and play top level midfielders just floating around during this trade week.

The only other possible, but highly unlikely guy, is Brouch and he would cost a motza.
To be fair he wasn't looking very plug and play late in the season.

Seems to me, 2020 could well be Geelong's final tilt at a flag for a while. This year at various times Geelong still relied heavily on Selwood, Hawkins and Ablett to get them over the line. At least two, if not all three, will retire at the end of next year.

Stevens at least partially covers the loss of Kelly in the short term.

I feel like St Kilda hold some pretty decent cards here.

That ship has already sailed. No way they can hang with Richmond and West Coast over the next few years.

Selwood is on the way down. Gaz is all but cooked....they should have managed him better this year. They overplayed him. We all know it happens quickly to a player and seeing him not able to make the distance from 50 at the end of season tells you all you need to know. Shame... absolute champion.

Plus they have a dumb coach. Look at how he used Danger in the second half against the Tigers.

I agree it's rebuild time for them. But they won't. Scott is too arrogant. So if they're going to bring players in because they think they've got a shot, they need to be reasonable about it.

Yep, would rather keep Steven than get Jones. Also, if Cats get Steven then they actually need him for 2020 while Ablett, Taylor, Hawkins, Selwood, Danger are still keeping your window open. 2021 will be too late IMO. He could be an absolute weapon for you blokes without the burden of single-handedly carrying our putrid midfield.
Tbh there's a pretty reasonable chance 2020 is too late. Would've traded the house for him last year

To be fair he wasn't looking very plug and play late in the season.
I thought he played bloody good r 21 considering what an out of shape fat bastard he was.

A proper pre season and he should be good to go.

Kelly was uncontracted and clearly had compassionate grounds, but didn't stop you from extracting maximum value. This guy is contracted and wants to leave under mental health grounds, one of their top mids on a good day. Saints should park emotional saga at the door and ask for pick 24. If Geelong feels it's worth the risk, you can pay it.
Kelly is also entering his prime and has no mental health issues, no physical/fitness issues and has become AA in his second year. He's also 25 with a good 7 years of his career left, while Steven will be 30 next year and has 3 years at most left.

Completely different scenarios and poor comparison. If he had no issues this year and played most games, he'd easily be worth a Top 15 pick, maybe even a Top 10 pick.

As it stands, he's questioning retirement, has had time away from the game and hasn't had the motivation most of the year to train or play. These are all risks. If he was 25, then the risk would come with greater upside.

Taking this all into account, the risk is too high for an early second rounder. I've said that Pick 54 was too low, and that Pick 36 was about right, for about the past month or so now. To me, that still seems the right price given everything we know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyway pretty confident we want be trading pick 24. It seems pretty open and shut after today.

We have 36/37 nothing before that a sane person would trade and nothing after. If that’s a no then there really isn’t much we can do.

It’s one of the easiest/straightforward trades left to be honest.

Think the Steven deal gets done for pick 36 or 37, seems fair enough. Saints aren’t getting screwed over like a 3rd rounder would’ve done and don’t think the Saints bargaining position is good enough to get a higher pick. I think the Saints will be able to use that pick to get one of their other targets too. Think everyone’s happy in this scenario.

Any player can experience a mishap derailing their career so that's a weak argument. Stevens when fit is easily worth a first rounder.
Saints should go after that pick 24 which is fair value, Geelong don't want to pay then so be it. Clubs need to stop falling for this poor ol' Geelong boy wanting to return home story and get more than fair value like Geelong have showed in Kelly trade.
Pick 24? That's extorition, it will never happen for pick 24...

People forget how good he is. He has pretty much single handily carried our midfield which has been bottom 4-tier since 2010. He's had a shocking year no doubt, but he would be an excellent gain for Geelong if he gets back on track, which he would after a full pre-season. I personally hope we keep him, I reckon he is worth more to us than anything we would receive in a trade, particularly in what is being called a weak draft. I agree with other posters that I would prefer him to Z Jones. But I'm resigned to the fact that he's played his last game for us.

He was a really great player. He is now out of shape and out of sorts.
If the argument is about what he could still be IF he gets himself in shape, then there is a clear element of risk.
That element of risk is even higher after this season.
A pick in the 30s is very fair based on what he was, what he is, and what he hopefully could be.
Fully understand all of the love coming his way for what he did in a poor side for so many years. He just isn't that player at the moment though. If he was we wouldn't be arguing over pick 26 vs pick 37.
Whatever geelong offer for him, there's always the chance that he might not play another game of AFL. If that's the case, pick 80 would clearly be a waste, not to mention his wage.
Stewie Dew was younger and got picked up by the hawks at 45.

Anyway pretty confident we want be trading pick 24. It seems pretty open and shut after today.

We have 36/37 nothing before that a sane person would trade and nothing after. If that’s a no then there really isn’t much we can do.

It’s one of the easiest/straightforward trades left to be honest.

It’s him wanting out of st kilda not us courting him anyway.

They should take their issue out on jack not geelong.

His time away from
The game and overweight frame does suggest serious issues. He requests to be traded back home to the country side where he grew up. Don’t know what or why given all they want to hold him ransom when it’s clesrly to the point his issues are that bad it even hinders his ability to put himself out on a field.

When things get that bad all things aside it is a psychiatric matter not a bartering matter.

I’m surprised st kilda given he has been there so long haven’t released him.

If a players mental health is being impinged upon due to a club hardballing restricting movement the AFLPA probably would come and have a word I would image.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jack Steven [traded to Geelong for #58]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back