Traded Jack Steven [traded to Geelong for #58]

Remove this Banner Ad

My post was the absolute minimum. Geelong will most likely be looking to improve the current 2nd rd pick.

If say Kelly decides to stay a cat and no players agree to move to the saints.

2 options saints find a 2nd rd pick and trade Steven and that for cats 1st.

Or

Cats trade 2nd rd pick, 3rd pick and F2nd rd pick for Steven, 4th rd pick and F3rd rd pick.

My post was option 2 as thats using the current picks that are available.
Cats would have to find another first to satisfy the 2 in 4 rule I think

I'll be another person who will disagree with you... No bloody way a bloke who is 30 is still in his prime...
And I think we have learnt a lesson from giving up to much for a guy with Mental Health problems ( enter Mitch Clark ). We gave up a very handy player at the time in Travis Varcoe. I bet you if you asked Collingwood, would they give up what they did in Dane Beams I bet you they would change there mind...
Oh PS there is no bloody way we would give up Constable for Steven. Most cat's fans here scratching there heads wondering why he can't get a game.
I think St K supporters also don’t realize Steven’s value has decreased this year. He has played very few games due to health issues & wont be winning their b&f this year. They won’t be getting the equivalent of what Ablett, Gibbs & Beams were traded for. Possibly would’ve last year but not this year.

Cats would have to find another first to satisfy the 2 in 4 rule I think
Thats true another reason why that route seems more unlikely.

Personally i think a pick 22ish is fair and Geelong should be aiming to get hands on such a pick. But if not other options are available.

I've previously posted about leveraging Steven in any possible Tim Kelly trade. However if it came down to trade between the saints and cats for Steven, I would look at Steven for Constable, with the saints agreeing to cover 300K of Steven's salary for next year (if reports are true that he's on around 800K).

Steven is there for the very short term to help the cats win a flag while Danger, Selwood and Kelly are still around, especially if Kelly leaves. I would think Constable is worth pick 20-25 on the market, while Steven is probably worth 20-30. Constable is still very young and has a lot of development left in him. I think my trade is a happy medium especially if Constable wants to leave for more game time.

Constable worth is irrelevant until he agrees to a trade to stkilda.

Although if he manages to agree to a move i doubt its a straight swap, Geelong are in a premiership window and they want ready made players over young draftees.

Constable has spent 2 years learning cats system all that experience is lost if he leaves. Add on the pending departure of Kelly and alot of knowledge leaves with little coming in.

Ofcourse Steven will bring something different and they could have a very nice draft hand to get the best kids, i doubt that makes them a better team in 2020.

I've previously posted about leveraging Steven in any possible Tim Kelly trade. However if it came down to trade between the saints and cats for Steven, I would look at Steven for Constable, with the saints agreeing to cover 300K of Steven's salary for next year (if reports are true that he's on around 800K).

Steven is there for the very short term to help the cats win a flag while Danger, Selwood and Kelly are still around, especially if Kelly leaves. I would think Constable is worth pick 20-25 on the market, while Steven is probably worth 20-30. Constable is still very young and has a lot of development left in him. I think my trade is a happy medium especially if Constable wants to leave for more game time.
I can't believe this would need to be written but that's ludicrous. Constable has been getting as much of the pill as Steven this year at senior level with slightly more uncontested, slightly less contested and better disposal efficiency and scoreboard impact, and a bit less on the clearances and inside 50s. He has also managed more games this year and is contracted for 2 more years.

You're not going to get him for a 30 year old who has managed 4 games the previous year.

Actually i can see Constable for Steven happening if Kelly stays. Thoughts cats fans?
Still zero. Look at the cats list and find me a player that is under 25 who is a future contested ball magnet. Cockatoo maybe but he has played 3 games in 2 years through injury.

40 games from Jack Steven isn't a guarantee of any kind of success either. Would not full me with any confidence given other players likely to retire.

I think St K supporters also don’t realize Steven’s value has decreased this year. He has played very few games due to health issues & wont be winning their b&f this year. They won’t be getting the equivalent of what Ablett, Gibbs & Beams were traded for. Possibly would’ve last year but not this year.
Stevens value might decrease however if St Kilda is paying his salary if he goes to geelong, that salary cap room that the cats save is worth picks.

At the end of the day that factor will be the biggest thing to influence the trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

on exposed form jack is getting paid over 200k a game
seriously st kilda can keep him

no-one is going to take on his issues and provide a pick in the teens or 20s for the honour
wake up people, the bloke may not play again, and is struggling to get on the ground

the only deal to be done here would be pick in the 50s
st kilda pay 200 to 300k and he agrees to a 2 year deal circa 350k with incentives

anything else, and he can soak up $$$$ at saintkilda

It'll just be media people checking the vfl lists at who isn't playing and spitting their names out in articles in the hope a story sticks. It seems to work
he literally just said he wants to be playing seniors and then the media takes that as him wanting out, they are a joke this time of year with trades and free agency. just write stuff for the sake of it.

If the Cats want Steven it is because they are trying to pinch a flag before their ageing list gets past it. They will not be that worried about the long-term, just if they believe he will help them win the flag next year.

As such they will pay a fair price. Not overs, but not unders either.

If Kelly goes they will be even keener.

If the Cats want Steven it is because they are trying to pinch a flag before their ageing list gets past it. They will not be that worried about the long-term, just if they believe he will help them win the flag next year.

As such they will pay a fair price. Not overs, but not unders either.

If Kelly goes they will be even keener.
Have you seen the age of our elite players? I don't see Steven keeping a flag window open.

That is so far out of perspective it's not funny. I understand the emotional investment but Constable isn't that far off Stevens level of output now as a 19 year old. It's just silly
LOL

And I'll bump every year for the next 6 years after whenever constable gets 30+

Should be fairly active
Yeah but who's actually denying that? I'm certain Constable will be a great player. That is why we want him. But if you want our 4x BnF player, you have to give us something of worth. Otherwise we just hold him until FA and be compensated adequately. Simple.

Yeah but who's actually denying that? I'm certain Constable will be a great player. That is why we want him. But if you want our 4x BnF player, you have to give us something of worth. Otherwise we just hold him until FA and be compensated adequately. Simple.
Feel free to do so. I'm sure every cats fan would be more than happy with that outcome

So ok ... I'll ask you a question... If Jack played for Geelong, and his 30, plus he hasn't played any games this year due to mental issues, would you want St Kilda pay what your asking for Geelong should pay...

Saints won't be happy and Saints will say no.

You cannot be serious if you think we will accept that for a 4x Trevor Barker medalist who's still in his prime...?

Constable and their 2nd pick otherwise first rounder at the absolute minimum. I'd rather keep Jack personally but it seems it's in his best interests to make a change.

Imo ..A player at 30 can still be in their prime ..id agree that is so... Its about percentages. What percentage of 30plus players play as well as they did when 24-28? Id say most would say that 24-28 is a reasonable estimate of a prime period where performance , recovery , experience all merge to have a player at his best.. Harvey at North would be an example , but most players , in fact a high percentage of players start to drop off post 30... maybe they can still play like their best for a quarter or a game or a bank of games.. but its rare to give a season of playing like that. .. and perhaps JS can extend to 30 or 31 ..but very few players play as well as he has ..and are still playing like that at 31..

If there is any chance that he could play close to his best ..it only confirms to me that he should stay at Stk and full fill his contract with them. On this years footy .. there is little eveidence to say Stk would expect much more than what they have got this year.. I could see why they would agree to a Scully type trade ..especially if they could get a Hill or whoever. My prefernce is for Geelong to put more effort into the draft and to stop focusing on players that are past their prime or at the most optomistic ..at the end of the prime period.. ( maybe get 1 year or 2 before they really fall away). If we must add these mature type.. certainly do not use up the chance to get the best kids. Bring in FA or players at little cost.

Constable is part of the group I want to build ..not trade..

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jack Steven [traded to Geelong for #58]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back