Speculation Jackson Macrae [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Suspect it is North Melbourne. They likely met with Luke Parker who said No and then Macrae got a increased offer and said yay

I don't think he is a huge loss for the Dogs anymore, he is a depth player at best.
I was thinking game has passed Macrae by.
He'll play some good footy if someone gives him inside mid time but I agree he's not a huge loss to us on the field.

Essentially we're paying $700k a year to a stock standard slow half forward that doesn't really apply pressure. There's much better use of our resources over the next 3 seasons.

Could be a good fit at a number of Victorian clubs. I wonder if Geelong might be keen.

Yeah the age joke is an obvious one but they do have a history of bringing in older guys who can play a role for a year or two or three, and having just turned 30 Macrae could be exactly that.
Geelong fans seem against trading their 2024 and 2025 firsts for Bailey Smith, I wonder if Bailey Smith and Jack Macrae would push it over the edge?

People are going to overdramtaise the fact that Macrae was pushed out of a team needing more legspeed and he might find his way to a team that has enough legspeed that can take on a player that still has talent and has still played a number of reasonably good games this season, but was squeezed out simply because if he had gotten games over some of our other fringe players this year it would have left us exposned dramatically.

Plus, the trade negotiations will be of a different nature - he'll get traded for a random future third round pick with the negotiations of value centering around the extent the Dogs pay his remaining contract - I have no idea if the Dogs will pay as little as 100k or as much as 400k or whatever of his remaining contract but that will be thrashed out in the trade, but never really officially announced, so we'll never know which club "wins" the trade (especially as it's relevant in the context of what the Dogs do with their new salary cap space).

I thought he was leaving the Bulldogs? :cool:

His worth is probably early 3rd rounder unfortunately. Cant see who pays more then that, especially if its a team like North he is going to go too

Which one of Treloar, Libba and Bont should've he replaced? He should have had minutes ahead of Gallagher, Garcia and Sanders but that's a coaching issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People are going to overdramtaise the fact that Macrae was pushed out of a team needing more legspeed and he might find his way to a team that has enough legspeed that can take on a player that still has talent and has still played a number of reasonably good games this season, but was squeezed out simply because if he had gotten games over some of our other fringe players this year it would have left us exposned dramatically.

Plus, the trade negotiations will be of a different nature - he'll get traded for a random future third round pick with the negotiations of value centering around the extent the Dogs pay his remaining contract - I have no idea if the Dogs will pay as little as 100k or as much as 400k or whatever of his remaining contract but that will be thrashed out in the trade, but never really officially announced, so we'll never know which club "wins" the trade (especially as it's relevant in the context of what the Dogs do with their new salary cap space).

3rd rounder all in with salary I reckon.

3rd rounder all in with salary I reckon.
Nah, Dogs will still have to pay some of his salary if another club is committing to the three years remaining on his contract, because if he were out of contract, he'd only be getting a two year-deal anywhere in the league at his age and rapid decline as a player.

Nah, Dogs will still have to pay some of his salary if another club is committing to the three years remaining on his contract, because if he were out of contract, he'd only be getting a two year-deal anywhere in the league at his age and rapid decline as a player.
Depends on where he goes. If North/St Kilda go for him why would they want you to pay his salary for? Would be better off if you just let him go for nothing and eat the salary themselves

Depends on where he goes. If North/St Kilda go for him why would they want you to pay his salary for? Would be better off if you just let him go for nothing and eat the salary themselves
Because even at a team with bucketloads of salary cap room like North/St Kilda, he's no longer worth the 700k a year he's on, especially in the second and very much the third year of that contract. There's better uses of that cap room.

You're better off just targeting any given player that actually played 22 games for another team this year if you're committing 700k to such a player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Jackson Macrae [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back