Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

We arent forcing Barrass out, hes shopping himself around and we are just allowing him to do so IF a suitable trade presented.
Not quite what you guys had with Mitchell and Omeara

Half right, regarding Mitchell and O'meara, which is the equivalent of being wrong. Much like WC posters on this site and there embarassing trade claims regarding Barrass.

1. As of next year he will have 3 years left on his current deal ending in 2027, we have offered him a 4 year deal which would take him through to 2028.

2. If eagles actually wanted to keep him they would have rewarded a long time servant and premiership player of the club by increasing his contract, especially given it was apparently promised to him after he turned down the move to the swans.

Why didn’t Geelong pay 4 first round picks to gws when they wanted to poach Cameron? You offered a massive contract to one of the best key forwards in the comp, why didn’t you pay up?

The reason hawthorn won’t just “pay up” is exactly the same reason Geelong didn’t just pay the first request that gws made. Both sides have leverage in these trades.

Eagles clearly value low picks and opening up a space in the team for Edwards more than a 29 year old key defender, who has a significant back injury.

Why single you out? You’re an opposition fan who is
1. Completely incorrect about the terms that the hawks have offered to barrass despite using it as the basis of the reason we should be giving up the world.
2. Ignoring all of the nuance of the situation and dumbing down any actual discussion of the trade by bleating “hawk offer contract, pay price now”

So after all of that you could just say what I said which was a slight restructure in his contract. He’s still owed the same years and dollars, if Hawks take him they are just adding extras onto an existing deal. Glad we clarified it. 🤷‍♂️

The current front office didn’t promise him anything? Didn’t I just say that before? Why would they owe him anything promised by people who don’t work there?

In fact, this group seems like they are doing more right by him by actually taking his trade request seriously and not beating around the bush about value and where they are at. They inherited a rebuild, they know he wants to go compete. Nothing they have done is wrong in any way whatsoever? They didn’t jerk him around, people who aren’t there anymore were the ones who did that.

If a company gets bought out and you’re an employee who has been promised a handshake deal payraise by from the former management who are now all gone and been replaced by new owners, the new guys are under zero obligation to follow through with what previous management promises were.
Especially when nothing was put into writing, that’s not wrong, that’s astute business practices.
Fixing the mistakes previous management made.
Does it suck for Tom? Sure but then why didn’t they get it in writing in the first place? You never just go on a handshake, everyone knows that.

sigh Really? Jeremy Cameron was a free agent….Tom Barrass is not.
That is in no way relatable to this situation and is a silly point to bring up.
Same as people bringing up Jack Bowes…that was insane as well. Not even remotely close to relevant to Tom Barrass and this trade deal.

If that’s your reasoning then I can already see you’re arguing from a place of misinformation.

Eagles clearly value what will help their rebuild…which is picks for players who while have been fantastic servants for the club, are not on the same path that the club is. It is now the best interests of both parties to part ways, and while Eagles have said they were happy to keep him, they understand the situation and have granted him his request. Now they will work out a deal.

It just went around in circles when I said he’s already on a 5 year deal, you said it became a 4 year offer, but then it changed and became just “a year tacked onto his current contract and a slight increase in money”….that doesn’t seem consistent.

Are you sure you know what the details are? Is it a brand new 4 year offer? Or is it a reshuffling of his current contract he’s already on at the Eagles? Just trying to keep up with what the offer is.

Last edited:

West coast are gonna fist Hok with this one. Late 20s, very injury prone, never AA, always had elite support with McGovern, Hurn and Schofield his whole career.

Hok should walk away and just take the W with battle free of charge IMO.

West coast are gonna fist Hok with this one. Late 20s, very injury prone, never AA, always had elite support with McGovern, Hurn and Schofield his whole career.

He'll get elite support with us.

The flipside is he could take us to a flag.

Put him on Georgiadis the other night, and we win.

Schofield elite.....😉

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would we say that? Happy for him to stay.

You'd keep him when he isnt going to be there when you are next challenging, rather than trading him while he has value and topping up with potentially elite players?

Given we are getting Battle I'd say WCE would be more in favour of trading him out than we are in trading him in.

I cant imagine we will pay overs for him.

He'll get elite support with us.

The flipside is he could take us to a flag.

Put him on Georgiadis the other night, and we win.

I mean if Frost played we would have won...

Hawks desperate for the player and eagles desperate for picks.

It will be a fair trade.

Eagles start asking for 2 first, hawks offer and first and a future 3rd.

It ends up being a first rounder and swap of future second for future 3rd or something like that.

Negotiating 101, both start high and meet somewhere in the middle. Neither party has the upper hand here cos both want what the other has and would only be bluffing to suggest otherwise.

It will be a fair trade.

It ends up being a first rounder and swap of future second for future 3rd or something like that.

Negotiating 101, both start high and meet somewhere in the middle. Neither party has the upper hand here cos both want what the other has and would only be bluffing to suggest otherwise.
Stop coming on here with this perfectly sensible stuff.

On a serious note you are spot on so all the mods have to do it sticky your post to the top of the page then it’s /end thread, until the deal is done.

It will be a fair trade.

eh make it a swap of f1/f2 instead of f2/f3 and its sorted

For all those staying that WC would rather keep him that trade him for pick 13 and change, ask yourself what benefit would it serve to WC to keep him for another 3 years?

And is pick 13 and change massive unders that outweighs the benefits of keeping him..

For all those staying that WC would rather keep him that trade him for pick 13 and change, ask yourself what benefit would it serve to WC to keep him for another 3 years?

And is pick 13 and change massive unders that outweighs the benefits of keeping him..
Its not about just taking what we can get, its also about not getting bent over. If we take unders for a contracted vice captain and one of the best KPDs in the comp how does that make us look?

I could frame it the other way too, is 13+f1 for Barrass+f2 such massive overs for the Hawks that theyd pass up an A-grade KPD who theyve offered 4+1 years to on big money?

The contract offer has been very public too, that would affect how other prospective targets deal with them in the future too.
Knowing that the Hawks refused to pay up what is not an unreasonable price for a player theyve offered a contract to and been talking to for months is an awful look

I'm trying to consider an equivalent here.

Also trying not to sound too biased.

However, for me it comes back to the same concept of Hawthorn trading contractes players O'Meara and Mitchell due to the stage we were at in our rebuild.

The difference of course being that it was obvious the removal of those two would improve our midfield immediately.

The scenario for Barrass and West Coast is similar, with the main differences being that Tom is a key position player (who can be valued differently), and losing him won't necessarily improve West Coasts backline.

However, when you compare the two scenarios, and what Hawthorn were happy to accept for Mitchell and O'Meara, then pick 13 and a future 2nd or third honestly very fair.
Eagles situation is just like O'Meara and Titch. They are vacating Barrass spot to blood Edwards lot more. They see big potential in him and he is being wasted.

Ideally I would prefer a deal similar to them but happy to swallow a lop sided deal of pick 13 with their F3 coming back at bare minimum. If we did not get Scaife, I would have asked for Ryan Maric instead of F3.

Eagles situation is just like O'Meara and Titch. They are vacating Barrass spot to blood Edwards lot more. They see big potential in him and he is being wasted.

Ideally I would prefer a deal similar to them but happy to swallow a lop sided deal of pick 13 with their F3 coming back at bare minimum. If we did not get Scaife, I would have asked for Ryan Maric instead of F3.
Maric is worth a hell of a lot more than a F3, I wouldnt give him up for less than pick 20ish

Im not even gonna respond to the rest of your Barrass valuation lmao

Its not about just taking what we can get, its also about not getting bent over. If we take unders for a contracted vice captain and one of the best KPDs in the comp how does that make us look?

I could frame it the other way too, is 13+f1 for Barrass+f2 such massive overs for the Hawks that theyd pass up an A-grade KPD who theyve offered 4+1 years to on big money?

The contract offer has been very public too, that would affect how other prospective targets deal with them in the future too.
Knowing that the Hawks refused to pay up what is not an unreasonable price for a player theyve offered a contract to and been talking to for months is an awful look
So you're willing to cut off your nose to spite your face, not get any picks, keep a 29 year old and take development time away from Edwards just to not accept pick 13 and change? Just so you can say we didn't get bent over? When in reality you didn't..

If I was a rebuilding club I know what I would do...but I guess we have to agree to disagree..

So you're willing to cut off your nose to spite your face, not get any picks, keep a 29 year old and take development time away from Edwards just to not accept pick 13 and change? Just so you can say we didn't get bent over? When in reality you didn't..

If I was a rebuilding club I know what I would do...but I guess we have to agree to disagree..
Nah just flexing

They will take it and shake hands

I got a question, why is the Tom Barrass thread still “speculation” and not been changed to trade request to Hawthorn and turned green ( same as Battle)?

You guys are going into a period where you want to attract top end talent to round out your list and go for premierships. Why do you think you can go around screwing over a genuine A-grader over the loose change in the trade?

13+F1 for Barrass+F2 is not even unreasonable lmao why would any manager or player trust you after that?

The only way you could see the F1 for F2 thing being unreasonable is if you actually genuinely expect to be a worse team next year with Barrass and Battle added along with natural progression, there is no other explanation for it. I dont think thats the case

The eagles wont be better after losing Barrass and all the senior guys being a year older, so that F2 should be close to pick 20.
Whats the cost to trade pick 20 up to 15? pick 30ish?

Come on dude get real here lmao the way you Hawks blokes talk its like youre the Geelong list manager haggling over pick 70something last year

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back