Speculation Jackson Macrae [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong and us certainly do make a lot of sense.

I think people underestimate how much of a loss Crouch was for us this year. Top 20 in the Brownlow last year, and then played just half a game this year, while Clark and Dow were also unavailable for the first 9 or 10 rounds, and Jones was struggling to get going, so it was basically just Steele, Windhager tagging, then guys who had no business being in there at AFL level, for the first 9 weeks.

No wonder we started 3-7, and then were back to the type team we were last year, once Clark and sometimes Dow and a rejuvenated Jones returned for the 2nd half of the season.

But with Seb gone and Crouch cooked, we IMO desperately need a Macrae/Parker/Shiel type, for experienced midfield depth at the very least.

My main concern is how slow we’d be with a midfield of Steele, Macrae, Phillipou and Clark. Glaciers could move faster.

He’s 30
That's my point, it hurts his value considerably he has 2-3 years left in the game at most & is a slow player.

EDIT, I should have said this also is clearly out of favour with Bevo. not worth much

Last edited:
Be interesting to see which clubs want a slow accumulator who is probably in decline? Not a profile many would be after but North are after experience so must be on their radar

Mitchell looks cooked so might be able to slot straight into that role

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Be interesting to see which clubs want a slow accumulator who is probably in decline? Not a profile many would be after but North are after experience so must be on their radar
Every club has a slow accumulator. It is a matter of whether they have quick players around them to do the running. He needs to find a team where he IS that main guy to get the clearance first. Not sure a team like Collingwood would work given they already have Mitchell in there. I think he knows he may have to play for a developing team, get to see out his career as a full time mid, but cop some hard results as well. Cannot see any of the contenders NEEDING his type though.

That being said. I'd try and move him on for a swap of picks, if we can improve our third round picks into second round picks, it will be handy in a draft filled with the types of players the Dogs need to fill in their list gaps.

Last edited:
That's my point, it hurts his value considerably he has 2-3 years left in the game at most & is a slow player.

EDIT, I should have said this also is clearly out of favour with Bevo. not worth much
Whether he is in or out of favour is irrelevant as he is on a fairly lengthy contract. I think a more appropriate definition of his position in the team would be he's on the fringe. He played 19 games in 2024, 4 as sub. When given the opportunity to play full games in the VFL in his preferred position he had 40 disposals and 6 tackles a game so I don't think he's close to being finished, he just needs to be in a team who plays him to his strengths.

Also, he is 30, sure, but he doesn't turn 31 until August. I'd expect the Saints will give up pick 24 for him and late second/early third going back.

Bevo doesn't like him.

The deal will get done pretty easily, wouldn't expect more then a 3rd rounder.

It's not even that the game moved beyond him, our midfield mix just needed some change. Obviously Bont is firts picked, treloar has more pace and Libba is a pure inside player with not a tonne of flexibility. So Macrae was the one to make way to get some pace in there. Once Richards became a mid it was very much all over for him as far as midfield rotations.

In a midfield group that isnt so one-paced as ours was I think he'll thrive. He's also a lot more damging with ball than a lot of people give him credit for.

At this point I dont really care what we get for him I love Jack and wish him all the best and hope he can squeeze out a few more years in a group that needs him.

Could be a good fit at a number of Victorian clubs. I wonder if Geelong might be keen.

Yeah the age joke is an obvious one but they do have a history of bringing in older guys who can play a role for a year or two or three, and having just turned 30 Macrae could be exactly that.

Next minute...

Happy Chris Pratt GIF by Parks and Recreation

I'm going early and calling this one now.

3rd rounder would mean they pay his salary. I think it could be a part-salary deal that makes it better than that. We probably have the caps space to absorb a decent chunk of salary for the next 12 months, maybe less so after that though.

This is actually a pretty solid fit and might be a good call. Mitchell looks cooked so might be able to slot straight into that role as an inside distributor.

He'll actually be very good in this role but we simply don't have the ability to allow him to do it.
Don't think the club sees Mitchell as cooked. They have plans for him to be in the primary midfield mix for 2025, and I think Macrae would be behind him. That's not to say Macrae couldn't play a lot of footy for us if he were on our list but you'd suggest N.Daicos-JDG-Crisp-Mitchell are all in front of him at this point of time with Pendlebury, Sidebottom and Josh Daicos partaking in the midfield mix as well as young Ed Allan who we've got a lot riding on.

Having Macrae would be liking us trading Adams back in.

Think he has better prospects elsewhere and so do we.

Why should the dogs eat any of his contract ?

He wants to leave
Doggies will just get a rubbish pick in the 3rd round for a 30 year old
His new club takes him as is

North bound imo
It's not necessarily a matter of 'should', just might be a matter of 'willing to'.
Depends how they assess Macrae and the likelihood he plays a meaningful part in their future success. If they think he doesn't fit in an ideal line-up, or that they envision others approaching his level, why would you want to pay him what would still be a significant salary for the next 3 years? Pragmatically, wouldn't it be better to pay 150k per season for someone you no longer value rather than 750k (I have no idea what he is earning, just an example)? That's not to mention whatever assets you can return via trade and the benefit of using the cap space that you would now be saving.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Jackson Macrae [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back