Speculation Jackson Macrae [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Lot of comments like this but that's not really the case.

Going for old guys on big contracts is not Geelongs MO with the way we manage the cap.
I think you guys find value in unique places and maximise the talent you do acquire

But you are right about the intricacies of the financials for sure

What is the Dogs plan re bringing players in to their team?

Macrae and Daniel seem to be deemed surplus to requirements which is fine but they both played in their final.

So they are going to need to replace those two before they even get to purging the other 4 or 5 that need to be upgraded.
We're into Peatling apparently but I dont think that will happen. Too much competition for him and he might stay anyway.
beyond that I have no idea.

Can see him ending up at the Saints
Probably doesn’t help them long term but suits an immediate need

Macrae and Daniel seem to be deemed surplus to requirements which is fine but they both played in their final.

So they are going to need to replace those two before they even get to purging the other 4 or 5 that need to be upgraded.
Pretty sure the draft is our focus. Will be low key in terms of bringing players in. Maybe 1 or 2 if they are the right fit. Like a Peatling or O'Drisscoll type. But word is, the team is focused is on loading up draft picks across the next couple of seasons before Tasmania plunder everything.

As far as Geelong and big contracts, I see things differently. If they have interest in any of those extras, us eating the contract or a decent chunk of it it how those deals get done and also how we likely end up with a more favourable deal for Smith in that scenario

Call it a poor mans jack bowes deal

Does he actually suit the Saints? Is it not a treacle midfield with him and Steele together? I don't understand the appeal for Saints tbh.
I don't understand it from his POV.

He's had success and dogs fans seemingly love him, kicked a crucial goal in the PF in a flag year.
These types of things get remembered.

But he's 30. Are the Saints going to win it in the 3 years max you'd say he has left? 127 seasons of VFL/AFL football would say probably not.

So why leave a club you're loved at, albeit not playing regularly, and on good coin to play meaningless football at St.K, NM or Richmond. Just where they're at as clubs.

He's contracted for 3 more years, maybe his best move is stay and try and outlast Bevo and hope the next coach wants to use him.

Not sure what club in Vic that'll be contending that he'd suit and would be interested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saints doesnt seem a great fit to me. Would he slot in at Essendon? They have a bit more pace to put around him and he'd take some work off Merrett. But they do seem to have a lot of mids

I don't understand it from his POV.

He's had success and dogs fans seemingly love him, kicked a crucial goal in the PF in a flag year.
These types of things get remembered.

But he's 30. Are the Saints going to win it in the 3 years max you'd say he has left? 127 seasons of VFL/AFL football would say probably not.

So why leave a club you're loved at, albeit not playing regularly, and on good coin to play meaningless football at St.K, NM or Richmond. Just where they're at as clubs.

He's contracted for 3 more years, maybe his best move is stay and try and outlast Bevo and hope the next coach wants to use him.

Not sure what club in Vic that'll be contending that he'd suit and would be interested.
Geelong makes sense to me because they have the speed/explosiveness of Danger and Holmes to balance out Macraes slowness.

Geelong makes sense to me because they have the speed/explosiveness of Danger and Holmes to balance out Macraes slowness.
Given Tom Morris is suggesting the Dogs are after a high pick I can't see it. We'll spend a good pick on Bazlenka and from next year onwards we'll be trying to pry Cadman loose. Can't see us giving up a F1 for a 30yo given this.

Macrae to Geelong would have to be a later round pick salary dump IMO.

A first rounder for Macrae!?

Mike Myers No GIF

Last edited:
Given Tom Morris is suggesting the Dogs are after a high pick I can't see it. We'll spend a good pick on Bazlenka and from next year onwards we'll be trying to pry Cadman loose. Can't see us giving up a F1 for a 30yo given this.

Macrae to Geelong would have to be a later round pick salary dump IMO.
Develop your own key forwards. This is why we need COLA.

There’s no point keeping 30+ year old guys on massive contracts if they are hanging around your 18-26 spots in the team. The resources are better used elsewhere and bringing in some fresh talent in those roles.

You look at guys like Sanders & Garcia who weren’t even emergencies for the final and that’s where we start by being able to include those guys in the team more.

We don’t have a heap of delisting candidates this year. Off the list will probably just be Smith, Macrae, Keath, Bedendo & maybe JJ. It’s not a heap to move on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Jackson Macrae [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back