Speculation Jackson Macrae [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Freeing up $2million over 3 years for a guy that was being largely pushed out- or at best played way out of position- is nothing to sneeze at.

You already have a bunch of guys on big coin and Darcy will cost a bomb to re-sign, and then you’ll want money left over to target guys from other clubs.

There’s no way you’d want Macrae on your books on that sort of coin.
I often wonder why we're the only club ever talked about when it comes to salary cap.

Any idea why that is?

We're actually doing quite well...no squeeze at all.

Fair enough, time will tell.

I won’t be losing sleep if it costs two 3rd round picks but I can’t see it being any more than that.

I’d be very surprised though if the Dogs were not happy about getting his salary off the books. He’s eating up big money whilst being on the fringe of the best 22.
He played 19 games this year.

They've already said they're not just going to give him away

And he was a sub in four of those games so he was definitely on the fringe of the 22.

Clubs say that every year. Time will tell.
Ok..

And I'm telling you the offer from the Saints according to our ITK that has said for 6 months Saints were after him I'd their 3rd this year and their 3rd next year. That isn't our offer, it is yours

I often wonder why we're the only club ever talked about when it comes to salary cap.

Any idea why that is?

We're actually doing quite well...no squeeze at all.
You don’t have to be in a “squeeze” to not want to be paying someone $700K PA to be the sub, or playing regular VFL footy (he he projects to be, the way things are going).

That’s just simple common sense. It gives you the option to front-end more contracts, to target bigger fish in the trade market, etc.

Ok..

And I'm telling you the offer from the Saints according to our ITK that has said for 6 months Saints were after him I'd their 3rd this year and their 3rd next year. That isn't our offer, it is yours
Fair enough, well if it’s on big footy it must be true.

I’m definitely not going to pretend that I know what the trade will be.

All I’m doing is pointing out the facts, which is he is a 30 year old on a big deal with 3 years to run and on the fringe of the best 22.

Hard to know exactly what that deal will be but I think we all know it won’t be a lot.

Fair enough, well if it’s on big footy it must be true.

I’m definitely not going to pretend that I know what the trade will be.

All I’m doing is pointing out the facts, which is he is a 30 year old on a big deal with 3 years to run and on the fringe of the best 22.

Hard to know exactly what that deal will be but I think we all know it won’t be a lot.
How is two 3rd rounders a lot? 😅

You don’t have to be in a “squeeze” to not want to be paying someone $700K PA to be the sub, or playing regular VFL footy (he he projects to be, the way things are going).

That’s just simple common sense. It gives you the option to front-end more contracts, to target bigger fish in the trade market, etc.
Fair point. When you add in the money we offered Smith, we'll have an extra 1.5m pa in the cap.

We can keep Jack and could afford to keep Smith if he'd stayed.

How can Carlton, for example, keep bringing in FAs and trades without being under cap pressure? Never mentioned, are they?
Why aren't Brisbane talked about, given the stars on their list?
Geelong? I'll never cotton on to their cap room...

Shock jocks love talking about Dogs' cap pressure, though.

Last edited:
Crouch is not likely to ever play again with a knee issue.
We need midfielders.
Macrae at 30 3 years left on his contract still really productive when on the ground. Will not cost the farm no brainer.

We can now go hard at the draft for more mids
Macrae is quiet off field but very vocal on it, and an ex Vice Captain. I suspect he ends up helping the kids a lot over the next 3 years too.

You have the cap and he'll be fairly cheap at the trade table. It seems a no brainer that he'll make the Saints better and you get to keep your first rounders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Article in the HS today saying he’s on over $800K for each of the next two years.

Unless WB pay some of it, this will be a salary dump.

Darcy, Bont and Richards OOC next year and two of them will be getting enormous pay rises. They’re going to want that $1.6mil+ in particular off their books ASAP.

IMG_9274.jpeg

Last edited:
Article in the HS today saying he’s on over $800K for each of the next two years.

Darcy, Bont and Richards OOC next year and two of them will be getting enormous pay rises. They’re going to want that $1.6mil+ in particular off their books ASAP.
Yeah ****wit SOS is gonna get creative here, you’ll not have any draft outgoing or it’ll be minimal to get him off the books - I agree

Dogs can still leverage the fact that they can afford to keep Macrae for at least another year and Saints will still want to pay something for a player that will be positioned in their opening centre bounce in R1 next year for a team that will be hoping to use that player in that position to push for finals.

There'll be a balancing negotiation of how much salary is being taken on vs. the draft pick (and if Macrae will demand the full amount of money that he's owed in a renegotiate contract at the Saints if it's a sticking point and how much he wants the move), but it's not a pure salary dump for a player that is no longer AFL quality. Macrae still got selected in the 23 19 times out of 24 (and those 5 games he wasn't selected included the opening rounds where he wasn't fully fit), in a good team, despite the fact it was hard to pick him simply as he was positional depth in positions we had a lot of talent already in, on the ball. It's partially due to Macrae's decline but also partially due to the fact that he's our sixth best onballer and really can only play onball and not wing or forward.

It won't be a top-end pick but it'll be more than a tokenistic 3rd/4th rounder that many Saints fans will hope for - there'll have to be a meaningful change in each team's draft position to make the trade worthwhile (such as either multiple picks in the 3rd+ round, or meaningful upgrades in the 20's-40's range). Dogs will still pay a small amount of the salary too.

View attachment 2113955
It's only a salary dump if we need to free up salary cap, which we don't. Macrae has said he wants to leave and Saints are keen on him despite the contract. Whilst I don't imagine we'll get a lot for him we will get something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Jackson Macrae [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back