Player Watch Jackson Ramsay (Delisted 2017)

Will he or won't he?

• Yes

Votes: 106 60.6%
  • No

Votes: 52 29.7%
  • Maybe at another club

Votes: 17 9.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought he did OK today.

He was in the action a lot, and he will have picked up plenty out of the game to work on.

This is his third game of senior footy? Early days yet, and so far he's OK.

I've seen nothing to suggest he's got any above average ability but it's early days. He hasn't shown anything fatal although his kicking doesn't look great from the little I've seen of him - which is our biggest issue.

animals-lost-headless_chickens-hens-missing_poster-chicken-tzun1208_low.jpg

I thought he found the footy really well on the weekend, was one of our better performances. Was solid over four quarters, did not go missing for periods of the game like some team mates.

Needs to clean up decision making and kicking but apart from that a lot to work with. Only just turned 20 so he will improve.

When he is aggressive and takes the play on looks really good. I think his tank is his greatest attribute, will run all day and contest all day. Has good attributes for pressure games in finals.

Is AFL standard, has not looked out of his depth at any stage so far.

No sure some of the issues with Ramsay he's only young and finding his feet at AFL level, he has a number of quality attributes which hint that he is a future best 22. Most importantly he seems like he has got a good head on his shoulders so you know he's going to keep working and improving.

I'd be more concerned with Travis Cloke, he had a poor year last year and only 6 touches yesterday didn't fill me full of confidence. Considering what he takes of the salary cap.

No sure some of the issues with Ramsay he's only young and finding his feet at AFL level, he has a number of quality attributes which hint that he is a future best 22. Most importantly he seems like he has got a good head on his shoulders so you know he's going to keep working and improving.

I'd be more concerned with Travis Cloke, he had a poor year last year and only 6 touches yesterday didn't fill me full of confidence. Considering what he takes of the salary cap.

What are his quality attributes apart from "a good head on his shoulders"? If you can't kick the footy in modern AFL you have to be ELITE at other areas, Ramsay simply isn't.

Hawthorn have been dominating for years by having a team full of players who can kick, PARTICULARLY coming out of the backline. I'm sick of our backline being filled with players who would be average kicks in the under 18s. Tempted just to throw Oxley in and have him designated kicker

Last edited:
Can't kick, it's not a decision making problem like Adams for example, he simply has a bad technique and can't see him turning it around which is a shame.
He's got a nice kick on him so he can kick its the decision making that makes you say that nothing to do with his action or penetration. I was fairly disappointed with him yesterday though, like most.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think he is as bad as people seem to think. Sure his kicking was ordinary yesterday but so was most of our team. Development comes with time and effort and the thing I like the most about Ramsay is that he has a good work rate, shows pace and he runs with the ball. Hes a player that actually wants the ball in his hands and will seek it out, rather than hover around the ground and achieve little.

Its not realistic to expect all of our players to be elite, especially not at 20 years of age with 2 career games.

Not sure about Ramsay due to not having seen enough of him (expect we will learn a lot this year) but surprised about the lack of love for Williams. We need both rebounding and lock down defenders going forward to replace Shaw Lumumba and, in time, Toovey. So plenty of room for all types. I would have thought that Langdon Williams Scharenburg Seedsman and Sinclair are all ahead of Ramsay at this stage, he is on the second line of betting with Oxley and Young. And we all may be writing off Toovey WAY too early, at age 28 (nearly) hes still a young possum.

Been quiet so far this preseason and I think a few posters struggle to see beyond what's immediately in front of them. I'm concerned about his current lack of form but very confident he'll get back to his best soon.

I'm a long term fan of Sinclair, even when he was playing as a forward. Sprayed a couple of shots on goal and a few people stamped his papers. Was not happy that he'd missed the goals, but did some fantastic work to generate the opportunities in the first place.

Would have both of these guys ahead of Ramsay in the small defender group at this stage. Ramsay's biggest issue will likely be about forcing his way into the senior lineup over these guys. Was extremely bottom age when drafted and showing improvement so don't think he's at risk of being chopped at seasons end.

Don't think he will make it because he virtually no major strengths. And every time he is near the ball he stuffs it up in various ways. Of course he might be nervous etc and he might improve but I definitely wouldn't be betting on him making it.

Have him ahead of Sinclair.
Tonight Sinkers (23 years old) had 6 touches, 3 tackles, 0 marks and 29 fantasy points. Ramsay (20 years old) had 16 touches, 6 tackles, 3 marks and 62 Fantasy points. Sinkers upside is minimal. Ramsay has a decent level of improvement. I also think Ramsay is stronger at the contest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Read my previous post.

Ok. Didn't see that when I posted. But that is one pre season game. I can't remember seeing ramsay do anything good since I've seen him. Despite sinclir mostly stuffing up he does the odd good bit of work. Anyway this is debating who is better, a giant douche or a turd sandwich.

Ok. Didn't see that when I posted. But that is one pre season game. I can't remember seeing ramsay do anything good since I've seen him. Despite sinclir mostly stuffing up he does the odd good bit of work. Anyway this is debating who is better, a giant douche or a turd sandwich.
Agree they are both not dominant. But i see more potential in Ramsay. I feel we know what we will get from sinkers now. We have seen enough of him. Averaged 0.8 tackles last year. Playing where he plays and with his relative pace that's a remarkable stat.

Ramsay is less of a known talent. I don't see him as elite, don't get me wrong. But he seems to have some potential. He is young, very young for his draft year. He is clearly improving, showed little in VFL games early. I dare say his VFL games now would be pretty handy.

I think this year will be an interesting study of both players as they play similar roles.

People are saying he was not good enough yet he was better than many experienced teammates tonight. He made a few mistakes but they all did. He had played one senior game of course he will make mistakes. I'm going to stock my neck and and say he will play a lot of senior football. He has good pace, I think once he gets used to the pace of senior football you will find he is a pretty good kick. He has good laterAl movement. But the main reason I think he will make it is that he is a real competitor . His skill set is good enough but his attitude will make him better than average. Give the kid time. I like the boy

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jackson Ramsay (Delisted 2017)

Back