Jai Newcombe vs Chad Warner

Starting a team from scratch, which one do you pick?

• Jai Newcombe

Votes: 60 34.9%
  • Chad Warner

Votes: 112 65.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Warner has become an elite goal kicking midfielder that can impact games when resting forward. He's on track to kick over 30 goals, which is incredible.

Newcombe has regressed somewhat compared to last season. He has been inconsistent and hasn't proven that he can have an impact when resting forward - though I think he could, as he's strong overhead and is a penetrative kick from range.

Last edited:

Starting to change my tune on Newcombe. Watched him closely the last couple of months and can see why Hawthorn supporters rate him highly.

Starting to work himself into games when the chips are down and that is a great quality to have in a young player.

Starting to change my tune on Newcombe. Watched him closely the last couple of months and can see why Hawthorn supporters rate him highly.

Starting to work himself into games when the chips are down and that is a great quality to have in a young player.
He’s just so strong and explosive, and when he gets into space he has a really nice and long kick. Impacts aerially (really strong hands) and his handskills are superb.

These two have finished quite similar once again from a statistical perspective.

Newk rocketed home with 19 coaches votes in the final 2 rounds to finish 15th overall (higher than last season).

Warner wins his first All Australian blazer.

The big thing setting these two apart at the moment is Warner's ability to hit the scoreboard. Had an insane season forward of centre for a genuine full time midfielder.

Very excited to see both on the big stage in September.

Newcombe looks built for finals. Huge test against an elite midfield first up next Friday night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Warner is still ahead on body of work, but The Duke is rapidly closing the gap.

Surely the next captain of Hawthorn (I think him or Will Day would be a great choice), his ferocious attack on the ball and appetite to win the contested possession really is impressive.
I take my hat off to him and Hawthorn fans, I think I really underestimated Newcombe and his talents.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jai Newcombe vs Chad Warner

Back