Traded Jake Carlisle [traded w/ #23 and #44 for #5, #24 and Craig Bird]

Remove this Banner Ad

Bye Jake, enjoy the flag. Glad we could help mate. If we weren't going to give up pick 5 when he was '100% committed' I can't see us doing it after this.

Rhys Matheison. Come on down!

God I hope you pick him with 5.

The indecision is terrible the hawks and cats decide they want a player they make it happen and offer the player and the clubs they are at a deal they cant refuse Richmond have been linked to so many players over the past 2 years and so far haven't made it happen, if you want Treloar, Yarran, Armitage, Harltlett, Carlisle or anyone else commit to the decision pay slight overs from what so called media experts say and get them through to your club. I hate that the hawks and the cats are doing these trades mainly because I wish my club was more like them.
Totally agree pi** weak tigers. want guns at bargain prices. doesnt work that way unfortunately!

They might have enough but ideally if they can still have a late first rounder, then that is a positive list wise. You don't want to just get the academy kids.

Speaking hypothetically of course, Hopper getting a pick at 3 or 4 and Kennedy getting a bid at 10 would knock out 7, 15 and +/- 18 anyway (with a point surplus they can bank), whereas keeping 7+8 would mean they get to use pick 8, and their second rounder/s are used on Kennedy.

God I hope you pick him with 5.

Same.

2 x AA. Inside animal in the mould of Selwood or (dare I say it?) Hayes. Massive Saints fan too from reports.

Speaking hypothetically of course, Hopper getting a pick at 3 or 4 and Kennedy getting a bid at 10 would knock out 7, 15 and 18 anyway (with a point surplus they can bank), whereas keeping 7+8 would mean they get to use pick 8, and their second rounder/s are used on Kennedy.

Maybe you are right. I can see Essendon at least asking, no harm in asking at least. All clubs should.

It's one of the reasons good list managers get paid good coin. They are able to structure their salary caps well. Whilst Frawley et al might be on $1.8mil over 3 yrs, it's fair to say that they aren't necessarilly getting $600k per year. Might be $300k 1 year, $600k the next, then $900k in year 3. Similar to the way your Tippett deal was structured, heavily front ended. We might have a group of players that on solid coin now, but might spike in the next few years as older players retire and the salary cap increases.

We are also able to offer proven success as opposed to a vision when trying to recruit guys. Frawley wanted $800k a year, we are paying him around $500-$500k from all reports. Why, cause he could see he was a chance at a flag.
I also wonder though if the Hawks might be gambling on a big cap increase and if its less then they predict they will trade out some players in 2017

The reason Hawthorn, Geelong and Sydney are miles ahead of everyone, isn't because they were having success when the FA situation came in.
It's because they get shit done, they don't faff about, they know what they want, they don't posture, they think about it and then go in and get it.
I am sure the Hawks thought about Carlisle after the premiership buzz wore off and went, we could use Jake Carlisle right?
Why don't we try to offer them something similar to pick 5? Why would Jake want to go St. Kilda over us?

Well played Hawks/Cats/Swans.

Audacious bid by the Hawks on Carlisle and not sure if its got any substance or just an attempt to call St. Kilda's bluff but I like it. It's going to force the hand of the Saints if they want are that into him.

What I don't like is Anderson to North, massive thumbs down to that :D. West Coast and Matthew Rosa don't like this one bit

It's almost like he's blackmailing his nominated club into giving up whatever it takes to get him there or else he'll walk.

that's exactly it

not the player i would want at my club. essendon are doing well what ever happens with this slimeball leaving

Same.

2 x AA. Inside animal in the mould of Selwood or (dare I say it?) Hayes. Massive Saints fan too from reports.

Well, enjoy that.
Clayton Oliver will bet the better inside player.
IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The reason Hawthorn, Geelong and Sydney are miles ahead of everyone, isn't because they were having success when the FA situation came in.
It's because they get shit done

The extra salary cap space at Sydney has nothing to do with it?

The two teams were always going to struggle to find a deal. 5 was overs and 24 was well under. Bit disappointing for all concerned. In the end we keep 600k and have pick 5 in a weak draft.

The extra salary cap space at Sydney has nothing to do with it?
It clearly does, that's why I had them last.
They still get stuff done, it's hard not to respect that.

It's because they get shit done, they don't faff about, they know what they want, they don't posture, they think about it and then go in and get it.
I am sure the Hawks thought about Carlisle after the premiership buzz wore off and went, we could use Jake Carlisle right?
Why don't we try to offer them something similar to pick 5? Why would Jake want to go St. Kilda over us?

Well played Hawks/Cats/Swans.

To be fair, it's also a bit about coming good at a time when the drafts were compromised, which meant other clubs were handicapped in their list building.

There's your key word

Yep. Wright and Clarko have shown time and again to be geniuseses when it comes to trade time and squeezing players in the cap. Could well be some big 2nd and 3rd year numbers on offer to Carlisle as we have more retirements and the cap increases with the new TV money.

Hawthorn can afford to pay overs at the trade table, we are rebuilding and we cannot afford to get in a bidding war.

I can understand people's frustration, but we are looking at 2020 not next year.

Hawthorn dont pay overs. We get people who want to win flags. Unless you are suggesting Frawley was overs?

To be fair, it's also a bit about coming good at a time when the drafts were compromised, which meant other clubs were handicapped in their list building.
I don't know, the doggies were down, and have been smart using the FA system in my opinion.
Essendon had too, until WADA challenged.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jake Carlisle [traded w/ #23 and #44 for #5, #24 and Craig Bird]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back