Traded Jake Carlisle [traded w/ #23 and #44 for #5, #24 and Craig Bird]

Remove this Banner Ad

If the Dogs are interested in him, I'd be happy to have him on the list as he is a very talented KPP who I'd like to think would be a defender thrown forward on occasion (not the other way around).

But I'd love to have him on the list to watch everyone else melt over it :D People think we have broken the bank for Boyd & would struggle to keep the likes of Stringer/Bont/Dahlhaus etc, but we still have cap space.
It'll never happen but I would love Stringer in return. (FWIW I think it'll be your first round pick and steak knives)

Out of contract makes a big difference. Any first round pick gets the deal done, in the end. Think Mitch Clarke to Melbourne type deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey man, our captain was contracted, said he wanted out, gave us one club to deal with, then when pig f*#+ing so he couldn't be contacted.

Not saying it doesn't suck, just saying that Ryder is not the only player who has done it and all clubs generally get the player where they want to go.

That's not even looking that whole other can of worms around Ryder wanting to leave...
You spelt shooting wrong.

We also offered pick 1 for Ryan Griffen at the end of 2013.

What we got a year later was Ryan Griffen, Pick 6 and $1,000,000 in salary cap relief.

For the same player.

True but he got a year older and injured his back in the meantime, so not quite the same player, and perhaps never will be. Tricky things, backs. They dont heal, as such,

What we got a year later was Ryan Griffen, Pick 6 and $1,000,000 in salary cap relief.

For the same player.

12 months older with a back injury. He was a shadow of himself in '14. Still a good player but not pick #1 material. Its hard to sya with back injuries, but he may never be the '13 version of Griffen ever again.

True but he got a year older and injured his back in the meantime, so not quite the same player, and perhaps never will be. Tricky things, backs. They dont heal, as such,

12 months older with a back injury. He was a shadow of himself in '14. Still a good player but not pick #1 material. Its hard to sya with back injuries, but he may never be the '13 version of Griffen ever again.
I know mate, but he came $1,000,000 cheaper and Caleb Marchbank could go on to be an absolute star of the competition, we don't know.

I'm not turning this into a Boyd/Griffen thread. Both teams won on that trade and I hope both players enjoy success at their new clubs.

The disparity in the mooted 2013 trade and the eventual 2014 trade shows just how powerful players are these days.

The dogs would have happily pulled the trigger in 2013, but Griffen didn't want to go, and the ramifications of trying to push him out the door from a culture and playing group happiness point of view, made it too big of a risk

12 months later the tables turn. and he's the one that wants out, and look what it costs us.

It's why Griffen seriously screwed us, it's why he's a low breed of a human being, why he's the weakest captain I've ever seen in pro sport, and why he will never be welcome back at the club.

The disparity in the mooted 2013 trade and the eventual 2014 trade shows just how powerful players are these days.

The dogs would have happily pulled the trigger in 2013, but Griffen didn't want to go, and the ramifications of trying to push him out the door from a culture and playing group happiness point of view, made it too big of a risk

12 months later the tables turn. and he's the one that wants out, and look what it costs us.

It's why Griffen seriously screwed us, it's why he's a low breed of a human being, why he's the weakest captain I've ever seen in pro sport, and why he will never be welcome back at the club.
So someone can't change their mind. The nerve.

So someone can't change their mind. The nerve.
No they can. Of course they can. It just illustrates how the power rests with the players.

No issues with Griffen wanting out. I'm all for players playing for who they want. No worries there at all. Was actually happy for ward and harbrow when they left and got their cash. Play on.

Massive issues with griffen saying he'll retire if he wasn't traded to the Giants, turning his phone off and going pig shooting. He should have worked with the club he was captain of, and contracted to, to help get a fair deal done. The way he handled it was the polar opposite. He utterly sabotaged the club. He's a spineless human being (besides that part of his spine which is irreparably injured).

This. Makes me sick when people say he's always welcome back. Bullshit he is, although I might change my mind if he has a gun kid or 3 :$

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No they can. Of course they can. It just illustrates how the power rests with the players.

No issues with Griffen wanting out. I'm all for players playing for who they want. No worries there at all. Was actually happy for ward and harbrow when they left and got their cash. Play on.

Massive issues with griffen saying he'll retire if he wasn't traded to the Giants, turning his phone off and going pig shooting. He should have worked with the club he was captain of, and contracted to, to help get a fair deal done. The way he handled it was the polar opposite. He utterly sabotaged the club. He's a spineless human being (besides that part of his spine which is irreparably injured).

Making the announcement one week into trade week out of the blue was a shocker.

And make no mistake, GWS had parked a barrel of cash in front of him well before halfway through trade week, and the length of the offer combined with his back issues made it a no brainer for him to take it. Its just the timing...

But anyway, we have a marquee forward and we didnt have to come dead last to get him, so its all good AFAIC.

For the same player.
Fronk summed up that situation precisely.

GWS biggest problem getting experienced players was that they initially seemed to be approaching clubs with juicy carrots to offer up a player, when (as they seem to have found out more recently) it is the player who needs to be enticed not the club.

No club wants to be seen to be packing off committed & talented players who don't want to leave, however once a player has nominated another club they are expected to help them get there.

Making the announcement one week into trade week out of the blue was a shocker.

And make no mistake, GWS had parked a barrel of cash in front of him well before halfway through trade week, and the length of the offer combined with his back issues made it a no brainer for him to take it. Its just the timing...

But anyway, we have a marquee forward and we didnt have to come dead last to get him, so its all good AFAIC.
Yeah but we had a deal in front of Boyd about round 13 i think 2014

If he was hell bent on leaving then there are a couple of options I'd consider

Carlisle + 2nd rounder for Peter Wright + Jack Leslie

Carlisle + 1st rounder for Dylan Shiel and Cam McCarthy
lol keep dreaming

This got posted on the dogs board the other day by a poster with an immaculate record-

The whole way through the Carlisle discussion I've mentioned that Essendon were very confident he'd stay. As of yesterday, they are not. I'm not saying that he's coming to us, but I've got the (politically correctly way of saying it) strongest mail yet that he's going to be leaving Essendon. I put a rider on this statement that the source was at Essendon, but they are making arrangements for him not to be there next year. God I sound like Caro. According to sources close to the club he won't be there next year.

Take it or leave it - just thought it belonged here too.

This got posted on the dogs board the other day by a poster with an immaculate record-

The whole way through the Carlisle discussion I've mentioned that Essendon were very confident he'd stay. As of yesterday, they are not. I'm not saying that he's coming to us, but I've got the (politically correctly way of saying it) strongest mail yet that he's going to be leaving Essendon. I put a rider on this statement that the source was at Essendon, but they are making arrangements for him not to be there next year. God I sound like Caro. According to sources close to the club he won't be there next year.

Take it or leave it - just thought it belonged here too.
Yeah, don't think he'll be there unfortunately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jake Carlisle [traded w/ #23 and #44 for #5, #24 and Craig Bird]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back