Traded Jake Lever [traded to Melbourne]

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing to suggest it? Apart from the fact he's been able to almost match, and in some cases exceed Levers numbers in the space of 10 games this year?

Yeah ok. There's 'nothing' to suggest he can he can be better than or exceed Levers current level....
Numbers numbers blah blah. Footy isn't based on numbers, Lever is and always will be a better player than Scharenberg. That's no blight on Scharenberg, Lever is just a really good player.

Fwiw I'd rather persist with Scharenberg and keep pick 6 rather than upgrade to Lever, but that's what Lever is - an upgrade.

I think we would find it hard to fit Lever and Scharenberg both in unless Lever can actually play proper KPD.

FB: Howe, Dunn, ( )
HB: Scharenberg, Reid, Langdon

I think a shutdown defender is ideal for the player in the bracket, unless Lever can replace Reid and let reid go forward.

I think we would find it hard to fit Lever and Scharenberg both in unless Lever can actually play proper KPD.

I think a shutdown defender is ideal for the player in the bracket, unless Lever can replace Reid and let reid go forward.
Think that's part of the discussion. Lever almost certainly becomes a top class KPD as he develops and he has a lot of developing to do. Put Lever in the back 6 and there isn't a spot for Scharenberg in the current pecking order especially when you think of Goldsack in the mix as well. So if Lever came in 2018 Shaz may find himself back in the VFL which is why if Lever to Collingwood occurs Shaz seems to fit potentially as part of the deal. Of course Collingwood may say that doesn't work for them and want to have both but that would overload us with too many of a similar type potentially.

Last edited:

Serious question for Pies fans, where do you see scharenberg fitting in if you add Lever?

Howe, Lever and Scharenberg seems too much of the similar type to me.

I think the more pertinent question is where does Lever fit with Scharenberg, Howe and Langdon? The reason being you trade to enhance your list and a deal on Lever doesn't do that. It'd be like Adelaide chasing Moore as a KPF.

From a logic perspective with us needing to remove ourselves of Mayne's bloated deal I can't believe people think we're still a realistic option. I certainly get it from an Adelaide supporters perspective because if he leaves we easily offer the most attractive trade opportunities. I mean Scharenberg + 6 you know it makes sense from an Adelaide supporter POV. Two firsts is an ambit claim so this sort of deal is "best of both worlds".

The snag is that our TPP can't accommodate a serious move on Lever without including an Adams or Sidebottom in the deal or moving them elsewhere. Unfortunately he adds more of the same to a back 6 heavily stacked with intercept players. If he'd shown the same lock down ability as Andrews or Talia then it's an entirely different discussion, but he doesn't have enough exposed form in that area for us to be serious players, IMO. Applying all the relevant factors he either stays or chooses the Demons and the only reason we probably remain relevant in the discussion is due to Grubby Allen's madness last year. The sentiment of Pies supporters that know the game and club is one of why Lever? Surely this thread has indicated that.

FWIW the more logical + for me in this deal is Langdon if we defy wisdom and push hard, but I think it's easier to just use Shaz as a South Australian.

Think that's part of the discussion. Lever almost certainly becomes a top class KPD as he develops and he has a lot of developing to do. Put Lever in the back 6 and there isn't a spot for Scharenberg in the current packing order especially when you think of Goldsack in the mix as well. So if Lever came in 2018 Shaz may find himself back in the VFL which is why if Lever to Collingwood occurs Shaz seems to fit potentially as part of the deal. Of course Collingwood may say that doesn't work for them and want to have both but that would overload us with too many of a similar type potentially.

For the second time. On what basis are you making such a firm statement? No doubting he's quality in the role he plays, but he lacks closing speed and struggles in the air one on one.

Like Langdon and Howe he's elite at reading the ball in flight and peeling off to fly in from the side, OTT or in front of contests. With time Scharenberg will add this to his game. Isolate Lever deep against quality and he struggles as he did v Daniher. Collingwood isn't in a position to take such a risk from a trade and $'s perspective given where we sit on the ladder.

Buckley's comments yesterday should have put it to bed for the dreamers amongst our supporter base, but it's unfortunate the discussion will linger for a while yet...

Scharenberg doesn't hold a candle to Lever. You're seeing something that is not there. Scharenbergs ceiling is not high. His athletic attributes will not allow for it in a league like this one.

Lever is a tough and courageous leader, Scharenberg is really questionable in areas like tackling and the hard ball on the ground.

My prediction is that this thread will be laughable in 2-3 years. He is absolute quality, Lever. Won't be at Collingwood though, reckon it will be Melbourne.

If Adelaide were OK with 6 and Scharenberg, I would take it and run.
Oh look it's Tom Langdon dad

I think the more pertinent question is where does Lever fit with Scharenberg, Howe and Langdon? The reason being you trade to enhance your list and a deal on Lever doesn't do that. It'd be like Adelaide chasing Moore as a KPF.

From a logic perspective with us needing to remove ourselves of Mayne's bloated deal I can't believe people think we're still a realistic option. I certainly get it from an Adelaide supporters perspective because if he leaves we easily offer the most attractive trade opportunities. I mean Scharenberg + 6 you know it makes sense from an Adelaide supporter POV. Two firsts is an ambit claim so this sort of deal is "best of both worlds".

The snag is that our TPP can't accommodate a serious move on Lever without including an Adams or Sidebottom in the deal or moving them elsewhere. Unfortunately he adds more of the same to a back 6 heavily stacked with intercept players. If he'd shown the same lock down ability as Andrews or Talia then it's an entirely different discussion, but he doesn't have enough exposed form in that area for us to be serious players, IMO. Applying all the relevant factors he either stays or chooses the Demons and the only reason we probably remain relevant in the discussion is due to Grubby Allen's madness last year. The sentiment of Pies supporters that know the game and club is one of why Lever? Surely this thread has indicated that.

FWIW the more logical + for me in this deal is Langdon if we defy wisdom and push hard, but I think it's easier to just use Shaz as a South Australian.

It sounds like you will have the same dilemma adelaide have ATM

We have Lever hartigan Talia otten Keath and Cheney realistically we can only play three of them in D

Our own board has questioned who are the best 3 with our lock down small brown and running half backs laird and smith and Kelly our medium lock down

Too much of one type of player can be difficult to fit in your team

When we have tried Lever in Talia s position he has failed his best footy is clearly third man up peel off a non key forward but he does it extremely well as he has no fear and it kills off attacks consistently

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Haha, you're gonna look so stupid in a couple of years. Will you still be around then? Are you gonna retire after 50,000 posts?
It's ok Mr Langdon. Im sure Tom will have a solid career regardless of Scharenberg.

Take a Bex and have a lie down.

It sounds like you will have the same dilemma adelaide have ATM

We have Lever hartigan Talia otten Keath and Cheney realistically we can only play three of them in D

Our own board has questioned who are the best 3 with our lock down small brown and running half backs laird and smith and Kelly our medium lock down

Too much of one type of player can be difficult to fit in your team

When we have tried Lever in Talia s position he has failed his best footy is clearly third man up peel off a non key forward but he does it extremely well as he has no fear and it kills off attacks consistently

Very much so. The recent talk on your board appears to be mids with Doedee also showing good signs in that role? That's about the only way I see it working on our end and even then we're robbing Peter to pay Paul to pad out an area we have coverage in. The other element is there's no talk of a KPD needed as a replacement which I think some Pies fans need to take on board.

Realistically it's a good position for your club to be in. You have replacements ready to go if he leaves and he's highly rated by the industry so you'll be well compensated. The reverse is he stays!

I'm definitely not here to talk down Lever's worth/ status, however for Collingwood it isn't a move that makes much sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very much so. The recent talk on your board appears to be mids with Doedee also showing good signs in that role? That's about the only way I see it working on our end and even then we're robbing Peter to pay Paul to pad out an area we have coverage in. The other element is there's no talk of a KPD needed as a replacement which I think some Pies fans need to take on board.

Realistically it's a good position for your club to be in. You have replacements ready to go if he leaves and he's highly rated by the industry so you'll be well compensated. The reverse is he stays!

I'm definitely not here to talk down Lever's worth/ status, however for Collingwood it isn't a move that makes much sense.

The list management would and should only consider as an upgrade on present players

Howe and Lever are very similar only real benefit there is Lever is 21 if you play those two there realistically isn't room for many more and I don't want to debate who is better they are almost on par both picked in the AA squad and both very good

Lever hasn't worked for us a KPD when tried but he is only 21 could he become a Daniel Talia who knows that's probably the punt you may take if you want to retain shaz Howe Langdon and Lever on the list

Im still standing by my comments from a few weeks ago that it is Melbourne or Adelaide.
Collingwood are pretty much out of the race and Hawthorn are a chance, but how they get the deal done is a major problem

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

That's a fairly slow back line. The spare spot and probably another would need a pacy player. Obviously Lever coming in would need a few changes such as Reid forward.

If and that's a BIG if he was to nominate St Kilda would this be a fair deal???

Jake Lever & the Crows first round draft pick for St Kilda's Pick 7 & 8

Im still standing by my comments from a few weeks ago that it is Melbourne or Adelaide.
Collingwood are pretty much out of the race and Hawthorn are a chance, but how they get the deal done is a major problem

What players would you consider trading it would have to be a promising player that you normally wouldn't want to lose but could live without

What players would you consider trading it would have to be a promising player that you normally wouldn't want to lose but could live without

Alex Neal Bullen perhaps and our 1st

If and that's a BIG if he was to nominate St Kilda would this be a fair deal???

Jake Lever & the Crows first round draft pick for St Kilda's Pick 7 & 8

Honestly feels a bit expensive on our end.

7 for lever no worries, 7& a second somehow probably but I think we'd either want to keep one of the top tens or trade them both to Brisbane for 1 (assuming we target Rockliff as an FA and they get 2)

Apparently Jake Lever has made a verbal commitment to join Melbourne if you believe Robbo. https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/09/02/lever-has-verbal-commitment-to-dees-robbo/

The Herald Sun chief football writer says that a host of people close to the Demons are showing considerable confidence that they are on the cusp of getting Lever into the red and blue.

“There’s people at Melbourne whispering to other people that they believe that Lever may have had a verbal commitment to join Melbourne,” Robinson said.

“That’s just speculation, but about eight people have told me.

“When one person tells you, you go ‘that’s interesting’, then you get two, then three, then four… Melbourne are confident.”

Apparently Jake Lever has made a verbal commitment to join Melbourne if you believe Robbo. https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/09/02/lever-has-verbal-commitment-to-dees-robbo/

The Herald Sun chief football writer says that a host of people close to the Demons are showing considerable confidence that they are on the cusp of getting Lever into the red and blue.

“There’s people at Melbourne whispering to other people that they believe that Lever may have had a verbal commitment to join Melbourne,” Robinson said.

“That’s just speculation, but about eight people have told me.

“When one person tells you, you go ‘that’s interesting’, then you get two, then three, then four… Melbourne are confident.”

It's going to look really bad on Lever if he goes to Melbourne

Publicly stating he has never met with the MFC and it all turned out to be a coincidence that he ended up there

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jake Lever [traded to Melbourne]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back