Traded Jake Lever [traded to Melbourne]

Remove this Banner Ad

It's going to look really bad on Lever if he goes to Melbourne

Publicly stating he has never met with the MFC and it all turned out to be a coincidence that he ended up there

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He probably lied about that but it would be a pretty bad look as well if he was truthful and said he had met with them during the season. He can only lie in that situation tbh.

Simple solution..all the collingwood and melbourne supporters who are against giving up anything decent for Level..go speak to your club and beg them to not to go after lever. That way he can stay in Adelaide where he is playing good footy and it is a win win

I agree, best option for all, pies keep the improving Scharenberg to play the Lever 3rd in role and also hit the draft with pick 6 to get a KPP. Crows keep Lever. win win.

Also I hardly think the suggestion of pick 6 and steak knives is "against giving up anything decent" more a fair offer....Lever is not worth two x pick 6 which is what you guys are after ie pick 6 plus Schaz (former pick 6).

Publicly stating he has never met with the MFC and it all turned out to be a coincidence that he ended up there

I remember the Richmond media mafia (kb carro etc) dead certain Treloar was going there, yet they not once met with Treloar and were going off GWS ceo Dave MATTHEWS backroom deal with his Richmond board member brother.

I agree, best option for all, pies keep the improving Scharenberg to play the Lever 3rd in role and also hit the draft with pick 6 to get a KPP. Crows keep Lever. win win.

Also I hardly think the suggestion of pick 6 and steak knives is "against giving up anything decent" more a fair offer....Lever is not worth two x pick 6 which is what you guys are after ie pick 6 plus Schaz (former pick 6).
Shaz isn't worth pick 6 anymore. Wouldn't get anything like that for him after two knees.

This is the issue all teams will face, they have a squad of 40 how many would they actually swap and how many are even worth considering for the team he has to go to, that dwindles you down to less than 10 players, how many of those would consider being moved on when contracted and especially being told you are moving to an interstate teams. Shaz is just the most logical choice, close family in Adelaide and you would think no problems in moving back here

We have more SA talent then Schaz on the list but a few unlikely to be offered.

Grundy - out of the question.
Broomhead - suitable despite offering some things pies, pace and skill, lack ever improving AFL form.
Schaz - Crows favourite choice for obvious reasons, hope pies hold firm and keep.
Aish - best role will be inside mid not sure crows need but an option.

Outside that some players are looking for a change and would have no qualms heading to SA. But I would rather us give up 6 and the 3rd we get from Brisbane but only if the Tom Lynch rumours are false if they are on the money then pick 6 is off the table.

Shaz isn't worth pick 6 anymore. Wouldn't get anything like that for him after two knees.

At this stage yes true in a trade sense, but to the pies he is still our former pick 6 and worth more to us then on the trade table.

We are better off backing him in to further develop next year then blow double pick 6s for one player. Which is what we are effectively doing when throwing him in as Steak knives to the Lever deal.

Howes had a great year, but his worth is nowhere near levers, when Howe was 21 he was playing local footy. For the next 5 years he was a journeyman who could take a good grab. Lever was in the aa top 40 as a 21 year old. It's scary how good he could be and there's every chance that none of this years draft group will be as good. And if there's a couple as good or better, then u have to be lucky enough to be one of the teams that picked it

Remind me again what happen to those former rising star winners Schammer and D.Pearce? How did their career pan out after winning the award?

Lever gets protected in the crows system by Kelly and Talia taking the more dangerous talls most the year, crows mids also excellent at defending the turnover protecting the defence from too many clean entries.

Last edited:
At this stage yes true in a trade sense, but to the pies he is still our former pick 6 and worth more to us then on the trade table.

We are better off backing him in to further develop next year then blow double pick 6s for one player. Which is what we are effectively doing when throwing him in as Steak knives to the Lever deal.
I agree with that. 6 + Scharenberg is probably overs. Might be worth the risk though not many players come back from recos to have long careers.

I agree with that. 6 + Scharenberg is probably overs. Might be worth the risk though not many players come back from recos to have long careers.

His pace will be the biggest thing that stops him becoming a top line afl player, needs to get more focus in the gym building his power and strength back up which will help improve his pace and body work.

The pies after he did his knee really stripped his weight back and he has lost some power and pace due to it, hopefully now his body had completed 12 months off footy he can look to increase his gym work.

Imo Scharenberg will take some big steps next year so long as he keeps injury free.

We have more SA talent then Schaz on the list but a few unlikely to be offered.

Grundy - out of the question.
Broomhead - suitable despite offering some things pies, pace and skill, lack ever improving AFL form.
Schaz - Crows favourite choice for obvious reasons, hope pies hold firm and keep.
Aish - best role will be inside mid not sure crows need but an option.

Outside that some players are looking for a change and would have no qualms heading to SA. But I would rather us give up 6 and the 3rd we get from Brisbane but only if the Tom Lynch rumours are false if they are on the money then pick 6 is off the table.
Since when has Aish been an inside mid?

I guess now it just comes down to to working out a trade. I think Adelaide will want 2 firsts. Melbourne will offer just a first and possible player (nothing special but a fringe guy I have heard ANB but only on Big footy. Recon Melbourne will hold on to him) it will be either melbournes 2nd or next years first but a pick going back. Adelaide will be keen for an extra pick next year with high end talent coming out of SA. Melbourne will not give 2 first for just lever.
I think:
Lever + next year second
2017 + 2018 first with the possibility of some later pick shuffles. Happy to add dmack as steak knives you guys were chasing him a few years back.

Since his best form to date in the VFL, also got some time in the role vs you guys needs to get bigger though to sustain it at AFL.
He'll never be an inside mid at AFL level. Had a very low contested possession rate as a junior and whilst you can improve this aspect he'll never considered an inside mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the second time. On what basis are you making such a firm statement? No doubting he's quality in the role he plays, but he lacks closing speed and struggles in the air one on one.

Like Langdon and Howe he's elite at reading the ball in flight and peeling off to fly in from the side, OTT or in front of contests. With time Scharenberg will add this to his game. Isolate Lever deep against quality and he struggles as he did v Daniher. Collingwood isn't in a position to take such a risk from a trade and $'s perspective given where we sit on the ladder.

Buckley's comments yesterday should have put it to bed for the dreamers amongst our supporter base, but it's unfortunate the discussion will linger for a while yet...
He is a 21 yo KPB size player who in his 3rd season has established himself as an excellent AFL player with an AA nomination. He will almost certainly continue to improve and as he becomes stronger will improve 1:1 and become a more complete player. Nothing is certain but there is a better degree of certainty around the player Lever will become than most. He would be a low risk investment. There are some youngsters you only have to see do a few special things and have time and space to suggest they will have a long and fruitful career. Lever fits that for me. Levers future is much more predictable that taking pick 6 to the draft. We need a KPB as we are lacking in this area especially with Reid and Dunn close to the end of their careers. Of any player in his age or below I couldn't think of many or any who are more likely to hold down this role than him.

I would like a KPF even more but assuming Lynch isn't available it doesn't seem likely there will be anyone around pick 6 in this draft that will fit that bill. I would * that by adding I am no draft expert so only going on what I hear. I have no real idea whether he is on Collingwoods radar or is interested in the Pies. I am only speculating on how I would feel if that happened. The $'s he wants is the risk in this deal for me.

He'll never be an inside mid at AFL level. Had a very low contested possession rate as a junior and whilst you can improve this aspect he'll never considered an inside mid.
Have to agree at this. Too lightly built and doesn't have that fearlessness that skinny AFL onballers need. So much talent though, if he has the dedication he should be able to make an AFL career of some sort.

It's going to look even worse on Melbourne if Lever doesn't land there.

They're leaking like a sieve.

Remind me again what happen to those former rising star winners Schammer and D.Pearce? How did their career pan out after winning the award?

Lever gets protected in the crows system by Kelly and Talia taking the more dangerous talls most the year, crows mids also excellent at defending the turnover protecting the defence from too many clean entries.
Cmon mate he's already been in the top 40 aa squad. It's clear as daylight that he is and barring injury will always be a very good player

Not sure really. Trying to describe the intangible quality that lighter bodied mids have. They're either incredibly evasive or have a bit of a death wish.

He does it against the real big boys why wouldn't he be able to handle the Tom Mitchell's or Bontempelli's of the world. Could absolutely contribute inside with some midfield training - moves through congestion like no one I've seen at 195cm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jake Lever [traded to Melbourne]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back