Player Watch Jake Soligo - Showdown Medalist!

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing I like most about Soligo is his quality of possessions. He’s a real thinker who sets the chain in motion, with skillsets that match his creativeness. He’s also one of the most ambidextrous players we have from what I can remember him doing really nice kicks on his left.

With more body mass and confidence, I think he’s got a good a chance as anyone to have a breakout year.
I agree with what you write about Soligo, who is looking like a real draft bargain. You mention ambidextrous. One of the things I will miss seeing when Tex retires are those times where he creates a bit of space using his sidestep, evasiveness or selling the dummy, then starts to get closed in on, so uses the left leg to pinpoint a 50m pass or to kick a goal with his left also from the same distance. He has done it more than often enough to be dismissed as a fluke. In fact, it has been a sight to behold. I am sure at careers end someone will make a Tex highlight reel including some of these.

I agree with what you write about Soligo, who is looking like a real draft bargain. You mention ambidextrous. One of the things I will miss seeing when Tex retires are those times where he creates a bit of space using his sidestep, evasiveness or selling the dummy, then starts to get closed in on, so uses the left leg to pinpoint a 50m pass or to kick a goal with his left also from the same distance. He has done it more than often enough to be dismissed as a fluke. In fact, it has been a sight to behold. I am sure at careers end someone will make a Tex highlight reel including some of these.
I’m struggling to think of a better skilled bigman and when you combine it with footy smarts you have a guaranteed gun.
It’s a shame he did his knee in his prime otherwise he’s looking at another 100- 150 career goals and a couple more AA’s

I’m struggling to think of a better skilled bigman and when you combine it with footy smarts you have a guaranteed gun.
It’s a shame he did his knee in his prime otherwise he’s looking at another 100- 150 career goals and a couple more AA’s

Tex has equal or better stats than Hawkins who has 5 AAs compared to Taylor’s 1. Very underrated is Taylor Walker.

Tex has equal or better stats than Hawkins who has 5 AAs compared to Taylor’s 1. Very underrated is Taylor Walker.

It makes me cringe every time Tex is in a ruck contest a commentator mentions Hawkins also does it, like they're contractually obligated. I agree, severely underrated.

His prime was before my watching time.
Was he a good handballer too (probably didn’t need to be)

Tex is a poor man’s Carey.

Old Wayne could give it off by hand too. Not sure about his left, he could dish it off his right with blokes hanging off him

Carey was a lot more physical and contested, admittedly not Tex’s strong suit, but other than that they’re pretty similar

Should say, being a poor man’s version of the greatest player ever is no insult

Lack of winning has cost Tex a better reputation over the years - and not playing for a Vic club

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Tex is a poor man’s Carey.

Old Wayne could give it off by hand too. Not sure about his left, he could dish it off his right with blokes hanging off him

Carey was a lot more physical and contested, admittedly not Tex’s strong suit, but other than that they’re pretty similar

Should say, being a poor man’s version of the greatest player ever is no insult
Tex also never slept with Sloane's wife (as far as I know), so he's a better team man, at least 😛

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is now our best player and the one Nicks, despite not rating prior to Rd 1, has to build the midfield around.

He is the no. 1 ticket holder to that spot. Never to be dropped again.

He is the future 3x Brownlow medallist I've been convincing the Main Board of.

He is our messiah and all fertile women should be presented for his consideration to ensure a lasting dynasty of talent flows through the AFC.

Is now our best player and the one Nicks, despite not rating prior to Rd 1, has to build the midfield around.

He is the no. 1 ticket holder to that spot. Never to be dropped again.

He is the future 3x Brownlow medallist I've been convincing the Main Board of.

He is our messiah and all fertile women should be presented for his consideration to ensure a lasting dynasty of talent flows through the AFC.
How he didn’t play rd 1 and to think there were posters who backed the club in

That turn around in match fitness is astonishing

Yeah - imagine that! Player who wasn't 100% fit for round 1 plays an absolute blinder in his 4th game of the year.

Its almost like he is working back from a month long ankle injury:

Week 1 - Sub
Week 2 - 15 touches - 79& TOG
Week 3 - 21 touches - 79% TOG
Week 4 - 27 touches - 83% TOG.

#sackburgess

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jake Soligo - Showdown Medalist!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back