News James Peatling chooses Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone mentioned Peatlings second quarter vs Lions late in the season. Just watched. At qtr time Lions 4.7 to 0.1

Peatling gets put in the middle start of second and wins the first 2 clearances from centre bounces with both leading to goals. Total of 4 clearances in the first 5 mins of game time (inc 3 frees for too high as opponents like Berry and I think McCluggage can’t handle his pace and agility and his ability to go low when collecting ball and drawing a high free kick). Most influential player on the ground as they claw back 4 goals in the first half of the 2nd qtr which commentators keep mentioning his influence.

Also played as a defensive mid later in the game “cooling” Ashcroft later in the game.

Any other highlight quarters worth watching? I think someone mentioned Dees game also?
Yes, last quarter of the Melbourne game in particular

I think you're dreaming.
I like the idea of doing a deal for the F1 but pick 16 in this draft is just way too much on-top of Peatling to give up.
Unfortunately I think you’ll find that Adelaide’s future 1st is considered to have more value than pick 16 this year. I’m quite buoyant on our chances next year personally, but the industry would probably say about pick 8-10. If Peatlings value is a 2nd, then the proposed trade is certainly fair, the evidence being that you think it’s in our favour, while I think it’s in GWS’s favour.

Personally I’d prefer we used our F1 to go after GC’s 13 or Fro’s 10, but the necessity of trading with you guys might make the proposed trade a reality.

Adelaide get:-
Peatling, pick 16, F2

GWS get:-
F1, F2

Thoughts?
I'm a massive fan of trading out of a future draft

Concentrate as much of our currency as we can into a shorter period. Only way we'll improve instead of just chugging along money in = money out

Plus no safety net whatsoever for a bad season. Go all in on improvement. Nowhere for anyone to hide.

I'm on board (though not necessarily with using the extra FRP to draft Dodson). The noise from the club in the last 24 hours seems to suggest we're content with just taking 2 in the draft, though.

Yep, rightly or wrongly, I think 28 goes to Melbourne for ANB and a late pick. And F2 to GWS for Peatling.

We'll then use Pick 4, take Welsh and swap Keane/Smith between the main and rookie list.

Yep, rightly or wrongly, I think 28 goes to Melbourne for ANB and a late pick. And F2 to GWS for Peatling.

We'll then use Pick 4, take Welsh and swap Keane/Smith between the main and rookie list.

And that would represent a good off-season. Keep most of our powder dry for 2025.

The ruck situation is becoming fairly urgent, though. If ROB goes down, we're a bit screwed. Strachan is essentially a wasted list spot. At the same time, I'm not quite comfortable with using a first-rounder on Dodson. He looks promising, but ultimately you need a ruck to be exceptional to warrant that kind of expenditure. Think I'd consider rookieing a ruck this year or maybe even taking a punt on Preuss, before drafting a kid next year.

I'm a massive fan of trading out of a future draft

Concentrate as much of our currency as we can into a shorter period. Only way we'll improve instead of just chugging along money in = money out

Plus no safety net whatsoever for a bad season. Go all in on improvement. Nowhere for anyone to hide.

I'm not so much. If we'd taken that attitude last year, anticipating a return to the finals, we wouldn't have pick 4 now. We desperately need top-level talent, and it's tough to get that without top picks. We would have traded out a pick we expected to be worth much less than it ended up being.

A future 1st round pick is such a variable commodity. There is a massive gulf between a pick out in the teens, and a pick right at the top of the draft. Even, say pick 10 which can become pick 14 or 15 after compensation picks is a much less valuable commodity than pick 5 or 6, and often the difference between the two is largely out of your control, based on what other teams do throughout the year.

I think if you're going to trade out a F1 pick, it should be to get something really significant. Not just to try to split the difference in a trade you could make otherwise.

I'm not so much. If we'd taken that attitude last year, anticipating a return to the finals, we wouldn't have pick 4 now.
Maybe we'd have gone harder in last year's trade period instead of settling on Burgess

Peatling, pick 16, F2

F1, F2

Thoughts?

Not happening. It appears we are only taking pick 4 and Welsh and then one rookie upgrade. If anything we will trade out of this years draft to improve what we have in 2025.

Keep in mind the rules say you have to always have a F1 or F2.

Given the likely outs at the end of 2025 we will want some good picks. It doesn't make sense as this year appears the better draft but that seems to be the plan.

Not happening. It appears we are only taking pick 4 and Welsh and then one rookie upgrade. If anything we will trade out of this years draft to improve what we have in 2025.

Keep in mind the rules say you have to always have a F1 or F2.

Given the likely outs at the end of 2025 we will want some good picks. It doesn't make sense as this year appears the better draft but that seems to be the plan.

The consolation is that it's very difficult to forecast the strength of next year's draft with any certainty.

The consolation is that it's very difficult to forecast the strength of next year's draft with any certainty.

That's true. Our 3rd round which we likely won't need this year could get us a second next year.

I wonder if this was always the plan or if Peatling changed things. We would of known our f2 was likely to be needed to bring him in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's true. Our 3rd round which we likely won't need this year could get us a second next year.

I wonder if this was always the plan or if Peatling changed things. We would of known our f2 was likely to be needed to bring him in

The decision to re-sign Berry makes me think it was something we cottoned on to quite late, possibly because of a combination of seeing that he was considering a move away from GWS and the added enticement (for Peatling) of having persuaded Cumming to join. Peatling and Berry have very similar attributes. Not that I'm complaining, mind – in terms of both midfield quality and club optics, I think it'll be a good move.

Burgess was very obviously the steak knives in a different trade. We didn't target him any more than we targeted Dean Gore.
There were no other ins though

We weren't treating it as an all-in year whatsoever.

Hope we do well and if not we'll get an early pick.

Peatling, pick 16, F2

F1, F2

Thoughts?

Considering current picks are generally worth than similar future picks … even more so in this apparent awesome draft that will stretch the top end talent well into the second round :

GWS Pick 16 > ADL F1
GWS F2 = ADL F2
GWS Peatling >>> ADL nothing

What am I missing - that seems very one sided in our favour to me?

Considering current picks are generally worth than similar future picks … even more so in this apparent awesome draft that will stretch the top end talent well into the second round :

GWS Pick 16 > ADL F1
GWS F2 = ADL F2

Because if we have a bad year GWS have turned pick 16 into something in single figures?

If we'd made the identical trade last year they would have moved pick 16 into pick 4.

GWS Pick 16 > ADL F1
GWS F2 = ADL F2

Very one sided.

Anyway, it doesn't matter you always have to hold either a f1 or f2 pick so it's not even possible.

GWS Pick 16 > ADL F1
GWS F2 = ADL F2

Because our F1 is worth more than 16 and our F2 is worth more than GWS F2.
Peatling is worth around a F2 so all up it’s pretty balanced.

I'll make on forecast the Northern Academies and at least 1 F/S (Tom McGuane) will make up a goodly percentage of the 1st round

Remove this Banner Ad

News James Peatling chooses Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back