News James Peatling chooses Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't think so. Looking at the past 3 years of drafts - would say 75 - 125 should be the expectation.

Sure - generational talents like Harley Reid (395) & Will Ashcroft (221 before injury) and JHF (199) are in your range but I doubt we are getting one of those at pick 4 this year.

Plenty of others are in the more reasonable 75-150 range.

McCurcher (20), Duursma (0), Jed Walter (11), Sanders (114), Wardlaw (118), Tstatas (17), Humphrey (88), Mackenzie (79), Ward (144), Callaghan (120),Nick Daicos (26), Rachele (21).

Some of these are game time limited though

Sanders for example had a 28% CBA rate which was 114 CBAs, but only played 14 games. Across all 23 games that would be 187 CBAs.

Wardlaw at 48% CBAs over 8 games. That would be over 300 in a full season

Duursma, Walter, Humphrey and Rachele were not drafted as midfielders but mid-forwards or forwards.

If they played a full season (and I believe our pick 4 should play the entire season), guys like Reid, Ashcroft, Horne-Francis, Wardlaw, Sanders, Serong, Ginbey, Ward, Rowell would be all around that 200 to 300 mark. I would hope that in a strong midfield draft we could get a player with the quality of those listed, maybe not Harley Reid but a Wardlaw type would be great.

And there isn't the competition for midfield spots or results on the board to prevent it like there might be in a stacked midfield

Some of these are game time limited though

Sanders for example had a 28% CBA rate which was 114 CBAs, but only played 14 games. Across all 23 games that would be 187 CBAs.

Wardlaw at 48% CBAs over 8 games. That would be over 300 in a full season

Duursma, Walter, Humphrey and Rachele were not drafted as midfielders but mid-forwards or forwards.

If they played a full season (and I believe our pick 4 should play the entire season), guys like Reid, Ashcroft, Horne-Francis, Wardlaw, Sanders, Serong, Ginbey, Ward, Rowell would be all around that 200 to 300 mark. I would hope that in a strong midfield draft we could get a player with the quality of those listed, maybe not Harley Reid but a Wardlaw type would be great.

And there isn't the competition for midfield spots or results on the board to prevent it like there might be in a stacked midfield

Thats because its incredibly tough to expect an 18 year old to play a full season in the middle at AFL level. Reid is truly the exception.

Pick 3 Noah Anderson is another that played 22 games and had 60 CBA's.

Think its terribly tough to expect our pick 4 midfielder to have 200-300 CBA's when the only two to do it from the past 5 drafts are Reid / Ashcroft.

Is he actually best 22 and in the midfield mix when we have a fully fit list?

Does he come off the bench, play forward, or is he legitimately one of our first choice midfielders now along with soligo and rankine?
He’s part of the rotation and can also help with pressure with his speed when resting forward

Some days he might start in centre square depending on form

Thats because its incredibly tough to expect an 18 year old to play a full season in the middle at AFL level. Reid is truly the exception.

Pick 3 Noah Anderson is another that played 22 games and had 60 CBA's.

Think its terribly tough to expect our pick 4 midfielder to have 200-300 CBA's when the only two to do it from the past 5 drafts are Reid / Ashcroft.

I should have clarified that I meant 200-300 CBAs full season equivalent.

If he's rested a few times or injured and doesn't reach that level that's also acceptable.

If he's playing bulk SANFL or is spending 70%+ time outside the midfield when played, that's not acceptable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If this is the case why is it taking so long?

Probably haggling with Essendon on picks for Stringer/Shiel

+Need point for Academy Logan Smith...so can't just hand over 53/56

Just be working out the picks we have after stringer /shiel

Don't panic, it will get done, but maybe not until Tuesday or Wednesday next week

Jostling for other deals. Standard.

96c795.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

News James Peatling chooses Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back