News James Peatling chooses Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Dawson’s a mid, but he’s not a clearance mid, in the way Crouch or Peatling are

I think with a more dynamic group around him, he’ll look a lot more comfortable. That includes another potential leap from Soligo as well as adding Peatling’s pace (and using Rankine’s pace in a larger capacity)

I'm not sure this is true. Clubs still want their best players in the center most of the time.

Brisbane for example this year, had a main center square rotation of Neale, Dunkley and then a split of McCluggage and Ashcroft. Just four players accounted for most of their CBAs with some pinch hitting from Berry and Rayner.

The year prior with Collingwood, they played a rotation of De Goey, Pendlebury and Mitchell and a second group of Daicos, Adams and Crisp. Pretty much no one else got a look in.

Geelong in 2022 used Guthrie, Dangerfield, Selwood and Atkins as their primary rotation, with Parfitt as well at times (but he fell out of the side). Again mostly just four players.

Melbourne in 2021 were Oliver, Petracca, Viney almost all of the time, with pinch hits from Harmes, Sparrow and Jordon

The premiership mould appears to be choosing 3-4 primary midfielders that play through there most of the time, and then maybe 1-2 others for occasional bursts.
Midfield is more than CBA group.

All players named BP/HF/W/HB/FP should be capable in stoppages.

Stoppage play is what all AFL coaches want. Can run set plays, offensive and defensive.

Clubs don't even use those positions anymore, just an AFL edict that teams named with traditional positions.

Midfield is more than CBA group.

All players named BP/HF/W/HB/FP should be capable in stoppages.

Stoppage play is what all AFL coaches want. Can run set plays, offensive and defensive.

Clubs don't even use those positions anymore, just an AFL edict that teams named with traditional positions.
I’m interested to see what kind of flexibility cumming and hinge bring us

I’ve heard some chat re cumming seen as potential half back wing and even mid

I’d say same for hinge , they are almost the same types and it will be goood to always have one of them across half back as a min , the other one might push further up ground

Dawson’s a mid, but he’s not a clearance mid, in the way Crouch or Peatling are

I think with a more dynamic group around him, he’ll look a lot more comfortable. That includes another potential leap from Soligo as well as adding Peatling’s pace (and using Rankine’s pace in a larger capacity)
He's kind of a clearance mid in the same way Kane Johnson and Simon Goodwin were, in that they either get the ball directly from the tap or a Crouch/Berry/Soligo and one-step their way around a blockage to get the ball forward.

It worked better for those players because they were surrounded by other elite mids, whereas Dawson is always going to get the oppositions best lockdown player when he is in the midfield, unless Rankine is there also. He needs a lot more support and a better ruckman to really show what he can do in that regard.

I'm surprised so many people see Dawson as a defender. We were all bemoaning how long it took the club to recognise he was a midfielder, it would seem like a backwards move to turn him into a defender again.

I think he should remain as a midfielder who rotates into the backline when sensible. His job shouldn't be to be the guy at the bottom of the pack - he should be the guy that the likes of Crouch, Taylor, Peatling etc get the ball out to in space.

I'm surprised so many people see Dawson as a defender. We were all bemoaning how long it took the club to recognise he was a midfielder, it would seem like a backwards move to turn him into a defender again.

I think he should remain as a midfielder who rotates into the backline when sensible. His job shouldn't be to be the guy at the bottom of the pack - he should be the guy that the likes of Crouch, Taylor, Peatling etc get the ball out to in space.
The flipside many want to turn Michaelanny into a midfielder.

How about we just play players in their best spots.

Now there's a novel idea.

I didn't mind Nicks trying Max in the middle, and the kid is that good he could probably do it.

But I'd rather he not.

Last edited:

I'd rotate Dawson through midfield, wing, defence and forward depending on match ups, game scenario etc.

Forward to get off a tag
Defence when under siege
Midfield when we need leadership and centre clearances are critical
Wing when he can take advantage of a smaller opponent

I'd rotate Dawson through midfield, wing, defence and forward depending on match ups, game scenario etc.

Forward to get off a tag
Defence when under siege
Midfield when we need leadership and centre clearances are critical
Wing when he can take advantage of a smaller opponent

Don’t push him forward to beat a tag - he needs to be good enough to be a tag in his primary position

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m surprised people don’t rate his potential when pushing forward

He’s shown he’s very dangerous
No he hasn't. At all.
Dawson is lost in the forward line and has minimal impact. Why you would put an AA level player in the one position he has little impact, is beyond me.
But apparently not beyond our coaches who have done it for 12 months...

No he hasn't. At all.
Dawson is lost in the forward line and has minimal impact. Why you would put an AA level player in the one position he has little impact, is beyond me.
But apparently not beyond our coaches who have done it for 12 months...
Don’t agree at all

He’s very dangerous overhead forward of the ball

Actually debuted for Sturt as a forward

It’s something I’d do occasionally , but only with a mismatch

Don’t agree at all

He’s very dangerous overhead forward of the ball

Actually debuted for Sturt as a forward

It’s something I’d do occasionally , but only with a mismatch
He's a gun wherever he plays...end discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

News James Peatling chooses Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back