News James Peatling chooses Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet Crouch made an AA as a midfielder admitedly some time ago and Laird hasn't come close as a mid?

You'd sooner Laird distributing and kicking the ball in the midfield ?

I wouldn't.
I would prefer Crouch's kicking and his accumulation but Laird's everything else. Ideally it is our other mids getting the uncontested possessions and distributing the ball whilst Crouch or Laird win the contested ball. I think Laird is better at that out of the two of them.

Laird certianly out ahead when comparing their careers as midfielders. Since 2020 when Laird became a full time mid he has had 2x second place and 2x wins in the BnF. Crouch has spent a fair chunk of that time playing SANFL.

Not sure anyone could make an argument for laird currently being a better player than crouch.
It's fair to say Crouch was the better of the 2 this year. There is a chance though that Laird's year may have been down to form or injury whereas Crouch was no better or worse than he has been for the last few seasons. There is a chance that Laird bounces back. On 2024 form, I don't think either of them are "must picked" in the best 22.

Yet Crouch made an AA as a midfielder admitedly some time ago and Laird hasn't come close as a mid?

You'd sooner Laird distributing and kicking the ball in the midfield ?

I wouldn't.

Thats pretty unfair.

Laird made the AA squad as a mid in 2021 and 2022, that’s pretty close. Should made the team in 2021 imo.

although I would also play crouch ahead laird on recent form

Thats pretty unfair.

Laird made the AA squad as a mid in 2021 and 2022, that’s pretty close. Should made the team in 2021 imo.

although I would also play crouch ahead laird on recent form
Laird's best looks behind him now IMO, whereas Crouch looked back to his best this season as the inside distributor before his injury. Then of course there's then there's the over a year age difference.

I'm genuinely interested in what pick you think Peatling is worth? Not taking into account what pick clubs have.
24 years old mid who has just cracked into a very tough midfield mix at the Giants after developing well for years.

6 or so clubs had a crack at him and good on Adelaide for getting his nomination. I think at his level and length of contract we would be looking for a mid to late 20s pick.

The deal Morris mentioned is stupid. But he's a good player. What would you want for him if he was leaving Adelaide?
Peatling, #56 & future 3rd for #42 & future #2nd

We need points this year for a bid on Welsh.

A F2 or F3 doesn’t give us the points.

The deal was F2 and 46 for Peatling and late pick/picks for the points this draft.
We can trade GWS third round pick to get back into this draft if we need to. It won’t be hard on draft night if Welsh gets called out earlier than we thought

FWIW I think we will take Welsh with our last pick in the 60s ourselves , pretty sure a club did this recently , didn’t wait for a bid just took him with their last pick

Might have been Jase Burgoyne but not sure
Calsher Dear Hawthorn?

FWIW I think we will take Welsh with our last pick in the 60s ourselves , pretty sure a club did this recently , didn’t wait for a bid just took him with their last pick

Might have been Jase Burgoyne but not sure
This has happened a few times, I think. Dear, as mentioned above, as well as Harvey Thomas last year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does the deficit come from the first round though?

I've tried to find the rule, but have had no luck. The deficit comes from the round where you were forced to match the bid. What we don't know is what happens if you no longer have a pick in that round. Does it eat into the next round that you do have a pick or does it come off the round directly preceding it. And what happens if you trade back into that round, does deficit come off traded in picks or only the natural picks provided by finishing position. It's madness that the information isn't readily available.

Laird's best looks behind him now IMO, whereas Crouch looked back to his best this season as the inside distributor before his injury. Then of course there's then there's the over a year age difference.

Laird looked like he was going through the motions, maybe getting booted from midfield rotations provides the wake up call he needed. But it sure didn't look like it had done anything positive.

Don't think it's changed at this point?

View attachment 2140629

Can't see where that talks about deficit. The below is from an AFL fact sheet dated May 2015.

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/Files/Father-son-bidding-system.pdf

1728870979022.png

Can't see where that talks about deficit. The below is from an AFL fact sheet dated May 2015.

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/Files/Father-son-bidding-system.pdf

View attachment 2140642
Explained better by Twomey what happens.

1728871193717.png

I've tried to find the rule, but have had no luck. The deficit comes from the round where you were forced to match the bid. What we don't know is what happens if you no longer have a pick in that round. Does it eat into the next round that you do have a pick or does it come off the round directly preceding it. And what happens if you trade back into that round, does deficit come off traded in picks or only the natural picks provided by finishing position. It's madness that the information isn't readily available.
My hunch is that is why we have grabbed an extra 3rd round pick so trading 1 of them as part of the Peatling deal leaves us with one as you'd think a bid for Welsh won'tr come before the 3rd round and we are covered for picks next year. And if they do eat into the picks on a bid, it downgrades rather than wipes them out is my understanding.

I have never understood it.

Does that mean that if we pick up Welsh using Round 4 that we then dont have a pick in round 4 next year?
Don't think so, it would only apply if the points required were more than this year's pick 62 plus we get the 20% discount don't we on a F/S. The points would then be taken off next year's 4th pick which would move it down the order is my understanding?.

I have never understood it.

Does that mean that if we pick up Welsh using Round 4 that we then dont have a pick in round 4 next year?

No. Each pick is assigned a value, which starts at 3000 points for pick 1 and decreases slowly all the way down to 0 points for picks from 74 onwards.

When a bid comes in at a certain pick, that pick has a certain value - if we want to take the player, we have to then match that value with our own picks. (There is often a discount applied but I lose track of when and why). So we can use a collection of later picks to make up the required value. If the picks we put together are actually worth more than the required value, then we get picks back to cover the difference.

If we are unable to match the required bid because we don't have enough picks to make up the value, we go into deficit for next year. Let's say the bid comes in at a pick worth 1000 points, but we only have enough picks to make up 700 points. Then we have a 300 point deficit for next year, which means our picks next year get downgraded accordingly.

The only open question is WHICH picks get downgraded. Do we lose 300 points off our first round pick? Or is it later picks? It appears the answer is, it comes off the pick from the round where the bid occurred. So if the bid occurred in the third round, the deficit would apply to our third round pick next year. Presumably if we don't have any 3rd round pick next year, it would then go up to our 2nd round, and so on.

The other spanner in the works here is, in 2025 picks will be worth less than they have been previously. So if a deficit applies on next year's picks, but those picks are already worth less, the discount is then "heavier" than it would normally be. But if we're talking in the 3rd or 4th round, who really cares?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

News James Peatling chooses Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back