James Podsiadly

Remove this Banner Ad

jet66

Senior List
Jan 25, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Podsiadsly looks to me to be a reasonable pick up, but he's got competition for spots.

Taking this competition into account, hoy many games do you think he'll play this year?

Re: How many games will James Podsiadsly play?

Podsiadsly looks to me to be a reasonable pick up, but he's got competition for spots.

Taking this competition into account, hoy many games do you think he'll play this year?

Yes he has, in the form of two established players who are both ahead of him - Cameron Mooney and Tom Hawkins. So for him to get selected there either has to be an injury to Mooney or Hawkins, or Thompson wants to try three tall forwards. Neither is an ideal situation.

I realise I'm absolutely alone in my thoughts here, but I don't want him playing any games - because I want Mooney and Hawkins to play as many as possible - preferably 22 and 3 finals (if we get there). For Podsiadly to get selected means three big guys, which I cannot see working. I don't give a flying feck about sentiment either, we've seen with Lonergan how much that matters if you can't cut it.

I realise I'm absolutely alone in my thoughts here, but I don't want him playing any games - because I want Mooney and Hawkins to play as many as possible - preferably 22 and 3 finals (if we get there).
Not quite alone.

We may even see the lone ruckman again this year. Causing Hawkins to second ruck and playing Pods and Moons up forward.

Can't see it happening, but it's a slight possibility.

We may even see the lone ruckman again this year. Causing Hawkins to second ruck and playing Pods and Moons up forward.

Can't see it happening, but it's a slight possibility.

But why would it? Blake and Ottens are both fit. Despite his critics, Blake is improving and his tapwork is very good. Ottens appears to have got through Saturday unscathed (as you'd expect).

There seem to be an awful lot of footy fans now that think the last resort should be the first option.

How about we worry about our crippled players when and if they get injured and not before?

I would imagine anything up to 10 games, but more likely only 1-5 this year.

I don't think he'll be a first choice at this stage and his total game time will depend on our run with injuries. He may also be named on the bench a couple of times.

He is an insurance policy for Hawkins and Mooney only. He will play when they are injured or rested. Will probably play around 5 games.

Let's not raise our expectations too high. It's no accident that Pods has failed to make the grade at 2 AFL clubs. Reckon he'll be a spare parts player, used mainly when there are injuries, a major loss of form by a key forward or there is some perceived benefit in playing 3 talls to stretch a particular team. Around the 5 mark for mine.

But why would it? Blake and Ottens are both fit. Despite his critics, Blake is improving and his tapwork is very good. Ottens appears to have got through Saturday unscathed (as you'd expect).

Blake still got dropped last year, and Ottens still got injured last year as well. I'm not saying either will happen or should (in the case of Blake, merely that it possibly could).

How about we worry about our crippled players when and if they get injured and not before?

I'm simply throwing up hypotheticals.

I want him to play.

Didn't care if he was drafted. But now he has been I want him to play.
Rounds 7 - 16 for mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: How many games will James Podsiadly play?

Hopefully no games.

For christs sake he's a 28 year old rookie. If we need him things up forward aren't looking good.

So sick of this hyped up sentiment for an unproven former Werribee/VFL 'star' who has shown very little at the pro level, even in the NAB cup (if you've got it surely this is the time to show it).

there is good reason as to why he is 28 and has never played a game at the highest level. why on earth is a group of fans of a team of geelongs calibre, with up and comers like t. hawkins discussing the potential of a guy like pods?

Let's not raise our expectations too high. It's no accident that Pods has failed to make the grade at 2 AFL clubs. Reckon he'll be a spare parts player, used mainly when there are injuries, a major loss of form by a key forward or there is some perceived benefit in playing 3 talls to stretch a particular team. Around the 5 mark for mine.

We sell new AND used cars....

Collingwood+Magpies+Training+Session+B56sOgUoGsQl.jpg

Yay.

There seem to be an awful lot of footy fans now that think the last resort should be the first option.

You misunderstand. I don't think the poster, nor anyone else, was suggesting we drop Otto or Blake, it was simply a discussion about options if one of them was injured. Nobody's wishing ill will on our players, and if we can't discuss possible outcomes, then what is BF for? :eek:

Yes he has, in the form of two established players who are both ahead of him - Cameron Mooney and Tom Hawkins. So for him to get selected there either has to be an injury to Mooney or Hawkins, or Thompson wants to try three tall forwards. Neither is an ideal situation.

I realise I'm absolutely alone in my thoughts here, but I don't want him playing any games - because I want Mooney and Hawkins to play as many as possible - preferably 22 and 3 finals (if we get there). For Podsiadly to get selected means three big guys, which I cannot see working. I don't give a flying feck about sentiment either, we've seen with Lonergan how much that matters if you can't cut it.

I would agree Mooney and Hawk are in front at present. Though that can change, depending on performance, as it should.

Re three tall forwards, I will agree that I can't see it happening, but at the end of the day we pay our coaches to make these sort of decisions, if they think they can make it work, then I'll back them.

What's this sentiment rubbish? If you're suggesting Pods is only on the list because of sentiment, I suggest you give Wells more credit, he's not a sentiment man. And if you're suggesting Pods would only play in the case of sentiment, then I'd say you were off base. Fact is on form, Pods was about the 26th best player on our list for the most of last year. Now I'm not saying he should play round 1, and I doubt he will, but he's shown in his time at the club thus far he has ability and ain't here on sentiment.

At the end of the day, I just want the club to pick the best 22 on form each week (excluding injuries of course), and if Pods is in that, then pick him, if he isn't, then don't.

Anyway...back to the OP. I don't think Pods will play heaps unless the 3 talls start to work well. I voted 6-10. However one thing I am sure of, is given how unequivocal Bomber was on Saturday, he will play some senior footy at some stage-there's no way Bomber would say what he did unless he thought that was almost certain. So put him down for senior footy. How much, is the $64 question.

Hopefully no games.

For christs sake he's a 28 year old rookie. If we need him things up forward aren't looking good.

So sick of this hyped up sentiment for an unproven former Werribee/VFL 'star' who has shown very little at the pro level, even in the NAB cup (if you've got it surely this is the time to show it).

there is good reason as to why he is 28 and has never played a game at the highest level. why on earth is a group of fans of a team of geelongs calibre, with up and comers like t. hawkins discussing the potential of a guy like pods?

Because sentiment has overtaken objectivity.

Look it's a great story for him to get onto a senior list, full credit to him, but if anyone thinks he deserves a senior spot he has to show a lot more than he has thus far.

I have voted 20 for Pods. I am not a great analyst of list, but I strongly believe, Cats will try a different strategy to surprise the opposition. The different strategy could well be 3 tall forwards especially knowing that Mooney Hawkins and Pods will cover forward line with strong marking skills with best in business mid field. This will be called 'hit the opposition where they least expect you to hit'

I may be totally out of line among you expert Cats followers!

Whatever be it lets all shout: Go the Mighty Cats!

I have voted 20 for Pods. I am not a great analyst of list, but I strongly believe, Cats will try a different strategy to surprise the opposition. The different strategy could well be 3 tall forwards especially knowing that Mooney Hawkins and Pods will cover forward line with strong marking skills with best in business mid field. This will be called 'hit the opposition where they least expect you to hit'

I may be totally out of line among you expert Cats followers!

Whatever be it lets all shout: Go the Mighty Cats!

Not at all. Your opinion is absolutely valid, just much as anyone's. We may think we're experts, but we've all been wrong plenty of times.

No my doubts are based on 2 things: firstly in that he's a 28 year old who's never played at the top level before. I'm extremely wary of him becoming a viable forward option immediately, if at all. I could be wrong; but that's my take on it. He may have looked superb in the VFL, but that's the VFL, it's a different standard. A 5 metre break you can get on a defender at that level will turn to 1 (or zero) at senior level. Every opponent he has is going to be bigger, quicker, stronger and with superior defensive skills than their reserve counterparts. That needs to be remembered.

Secondly, I just think the game is too quick now for 3 big guys up forward. Even with the traditional 2 tall forwards, we've seen with our past attempts with Ottens (pre-2007) that once the ball hits the ground they're effectively useless; teams are just so well drilled at running the ball out. The tall forwards need to be pretty agile, so I can't understand why you would want another taller, more cumbersome player there.

And unfortunately, bombing it long quickly isn't really a viable option anymore, as much as we'd like it. Sides are so much more intelligent with their defensive strategies. A third defender will be across to spoil immediately.

So for me, a starting forward line of Chapman, Mooney, Johnson, Byrnes, Hawkins, and Rooke is about right. With Varcoe and Ablett (among others) rotating through there also. That provides a perfect balance of size, speed, marking ability, strength, skill and defensive pressure. I'd be very reluctant to change it. It's served us well in the last few years.

1-5. As has already been said he's currently backup for Hawkins and Mooney; they have to be injured, or out of form, for him to get a game currently. We're also left with the fact his elevation right now would be based on Mitch Brown being on the LTI. That leaves the problem that once Brown comes off the LTI, we need to wait until Round 14 (?) to elevate a rookie and he's going to also be competing with Pods as a forward. There's also Ben Johnson, though I suspect he'll spend most of the VFL season down back.

So basically, he's only getting a game if Hawkins or Mooney are injured or so hopelessly out of form they get dropped, and whilst as the season goes on the chances of those two things happening increase, so does his potential competition for the spot.

I don't understand how anyone can say 1-5 when Bomber said it loud and clear on saturday.

"....he excites me, we know he is good enough, and we know he'll play 10-12 games this year... *hesitated for a second* well we believe he will anyway"

The cats are going to have a red hot crack with him.

Like it or not.

I don't understand how anyone can say 1-5 when Bomber said it loud and clear on saturday.

"....he excites me, we know he is good enough, and we know he'll play 10-12 games this year... *hesitated for a second* well we believe he will anyway"

Like it or not.

I like it :D

Like it or not.
Is that an exact quote? 'Cause I was listening and he sounded considerably less emphatic than you're making out.

Remove this Banner Ad

James Podsiadly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back