Jared Petrenko

Remove this Banner Ad

Petrenko will not win a B@F nor will he probably poll many Brownlow votes... But he adds so much to the gamestyle Sando is trying to bring in. He is negating the oppositions best half back whilst crashing packs, tackling hard and bothering the scoreboard...

We would of not won on saturday without him and Matty Wright.

And yet we extended his contract in March on the back of 1 AFL standard game up to that point... I'm surprised we're not 0-5 given the state our list must be in to gift crap players like Petrenko games and contract extensions. :rolleyes:
More truth to this than you realise..
I think a lot of the affection for Pets stems from last year when he came into the side and actually looked like he gave a damn when the majority didn't. Sure, his disposal count is down this year compared to previous years, but he's playing a different (and important) role for the team. Not every player can be a flashy midfielder averaging 30+ disposals a week.
This, I think, is the key to it. Petrenko's role is to reduce the opposition's ability to attack from their defence. It's a role which is frequently underrated by many (most), including myself. Remember when Matthew Lloyd awarded Young a TV for a BOG performance in shutting Harry O'Brien completely out of the game? I think it's probably fair to say that Petrenko has a similar role - and is doing it better (by virtue of shutting his opponent down while managing more than 2 disposals of his own).

I still don't rate Petrenko as a player. However, while he's doing his role to the satisfaction of the coaching staff (who seem inexplicably happy with this dud) then I guess I'll have to live with his continued presence in the team.

Petrenko will not win a B@F nor will he probably poll many Brownlow votes... But he adds so much to the gamestyle Sando is trying to bring in. He is negating the oppositions best half back whilst crashing packs, tackling hard and bothering the scoreboard...

We would of not won on saturday without him and Matty Wright.
You are probably right and although believed both had something to offer team thought that both were over rated on this site and probably still are but both played well on Sunday against team you wont them to do .
But my main criticism of both is their ability as small forwards to score those crumbing or leaking type goals you need from SF but Petrenkos 2 goals on Sunday were real good and really hurt Power with his tackling and endevour etc. Yes both Pets and Wright well done and love to be proven wrong each week.

Somewhat amusing, considering that the reverse is actually true. Much of my reasoning for bringing Petrenko fans back to earth is due to a massive boardwide over-rating of a player who has done little to deserve it. Yesterday was probably only the 2nd AFL standard performance of his entire career.

You see Vader the problem is that statements like this are absolute crap. If you said he lacks consistency or he needs to improve his disposal or his set shot kicking at crucial times can be erratic then nobody would have any issue with what you say as this is genuine constructive criticism of a player. It's when you make statements that he is clearly not AFL standard, won't play 50 games, this is only his second game of AFL standard people will quite rightly call you out on posting crap and in turn may be overly positive of Pets in defence of you being unreasonably negative.

In terms of your "this is only his second game of AFL standard comment) He was very good on Sunday. He also has a 3 brownlow vote game as BOG last year as well as a handful of games with 20+ touches and a whole heap more where he has had 15+ touches (the great Doughty took 7 seasons to average more than 15 touches a game for a season) In fact he is equal 3rd for total goal assists in the AFL this season which is even more impressive since he got knocked out in the firs tminute of the GWS game and was subbed off.

To be frank it pisses people off because you refuse to take your blinkers off when it comes to Petrenko and his career which while it has lacked consistency and polish at times, has been quite reasonable given the role that he plays. Funnliy enough Pets has 3 Brownlow votes in his 41 game career, Reilly has 4 in his 161 game career and Doughty has 9 in his 212 game career. Petes isn't flashy but he does his job well as evidenced by Sando's comments on him.

I still don't rate Petrenko as a player. However, while he's doing his role to the satisfaction of the coaching staff (who seem inexplicably happy with this dud) then I guess I'll have to live with his continued presence in the team.

But I thought that when the coaching staff selected Reilly and Doughty in Round 1 it was proof that you were right that these players are important to team structure and clearly in the best 22 no matter what the BF critics thought of them. I seem to remember a goading post along the lines of "Come on admit it, Iwas right and you were wrong"

Surely the flipside then is that if the coaching staff continue to select Petrenko then it is proof that he is important to our team structure and clearly in the best 22 no matter what your opinion of him is so maybe in this circumstance "We are right and you are wrong"

VADER = FLOG (when it comes to Pets)
I would suggest anyone else who continued to make some of the statements you had, you would have laughed them off the forum. Listen to your self, I havent seen someone make as big a fool of themselves on this site, since I read the last thing alexisonfire said. You are starting to sound like a complete know it all dick.:mad:

Somewhat amusing, considering that the reverse is actually true. Much of my reasoning for bringing Petrenko fans back to earth is due to a massive boardwide over-rating of a player who has done little to deserve it. Yesterday was probably only the 2nd AFL standard performance of his entire career.
How is this clown a mod? :confused: :rolleyes:

The way the game is currently played you can not afford to have players that turnover the ball coming out of the D50. I am a Petrenko fan but I can't see him playing in the back six until there is a huge improvement in his disposal efficiency under pressure.

VADER = FLOG (when it comes to Pets)
I would suggest anyone else who continued to make some of the statements you had, you would have laughed them off the forum. Listen to your self, I havent seen someone make as big a fool of themselves on this site, since I read the last thing alexisonfire said. You are starting to sound like a complete know it all dick.:mad:
So holding a different opinion to the majority of the board - and not being afraid to express it - makes me a flog?

I freely confess that he had a very good game on Sunday night. No doubt about it. Try as I might I could only find one flaw with his game - and though it did cost us a goal it was only one flaw in an otherwise excellent performance. If Petrenko can perform anywhere near that level on a consistent basis then he'll have me off his back by the end of the season. That's a big if, given that consistency has been one of his biggest issues. Excluding R4 (when he was a non-participant due to injury), he's played 5x MMC and 4x H&A games so far this year. This is the first time (in those 9 games) that he's performed even close to this level.

OK.. I may have exaggerated a little when I said that he'd only played 2 AFL standard games in his career. A little. What I will stand by is the fact that the overwhelming majority of his games to date have been well below AFL standard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So holding a different opinion to the majority of the board - and not being afraid to express it - makes me a flog?

When you freely admit that you're espousing a controversial and not entirely accurate level of criticism of a player because of his popularity amongst a group of fans, it makes you a troll. ;)

I freely confess that he had a very good game on Sunday night. No doubt about it. Try as I might I could only find one flaw with his game - and though it did cost us a goal it was only one flaw in an otherwise excellent performance. If Petrenko can perform anywhere near that level on a consistent basis then he'll have me off his back by the end of the season. That's a big if, given that consistency has been one of his biggest issues. Excluding R4 (when he was a non-participant due to injury), he's played 5x MMC and 4x H&A games so far this year. This is the first time (in those 9 games) that he's performed even close to this level.

OK.. I may have exaggerated a little when I said that he'd only played 2 AFL standard games in his career. A little. What I will stand by is the fact that the overwhelming majority of his games to date have been well below AFL standard.

It's not what your opinion is, it's how you deliver it... Speaking for myself, I would not find this thread such a troll thread (and would consider it a valid thread that isn't a waste of space) if you stopped discarding (you say that they are valid and then discard them and do not take input from them) everybody else's agruments, continuing this repetitive loop.

images

The way the game is currently played you can not afford to have players that turnover the ball coming out of the D50. I am a Petrenko fan but I can't see him playing in the back six until there is a huge improvement in his disposal efficiency under pressure.

Not sure his disposal efficiency is as bad as people are making out. In fact it's pretty good @ 75%.

screenshot20120501at225.png

Not sure his disposal efficiency is as bad as people are making out. In fact it's pretty good @ 75%.

screenshot20120501at225.png

He does not have a penatrating kick which is crucial to playing as a small in defence. I think he is perfectly suited to the role he is currently doing with the ability to pinch hit on the ball.

I reckon Pets is worth his place. He plays a role and plays it well. His ferocious tackling led to couple of goals on Sunday as did Matty Wright's.
Pets also does a lot of stuff off the ball, shepherding, blocking, dummy leads ,etc that you won't see on the telly.
Yeah he looks a bit awkward and uncoordinated at times, occasionally makes a poor decision, but he is AFL standard and no doubt about that.
If he doesn't play at least 100 games I'll eat my premiership jumper (barring catastrophic injury forcing retirement).

I agree he doesn't have a great deal of class when it comes to disposal and decision making, but I really think he is 'okay' in these areas. Had one pass into the 50 that was sublime, kicked that goal from that angle where he missed a few in pre season. Vader will always point out the ones he misses. seems like he is improving from what I remember a couple of years back.

With his tackling, fierce attack on the ball and heart I think he'll make a solid afl footballer.

Not everyone can be a superstar. What I love about Pets is that he tries his heart out to be the best AFL footballer can be, and has the skills to keep him well above the fringe scrubber.

I'd take him over a talented but lazy Vince type any day of the week. Like Gets! said, he bleeds blue red and gold, which is terrific in a side that has had 5 players seek 'greener' pastures in the last four years.

I'd like to see him in a run with role over the season, really challenge him to stay in the game and build his tank, given that Vince, VB, Porplyzia, Douglas, Knights are all injured or in doubt. Start with Josh '15 votes' Kennedy this week :thumbsu:

Petrenko is a perfect example that you can have players that aren't elite, likely never will be elite, yet are still vital to the team. He means a hell of a lot more to us than his stats say, and when even his stats justify his position in our team you know he's had a blinder.

Really growing as a player. Still inconsistent (like pretty much all of our youth) but has an AFL-level game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jared Petrenko

Remove this Banner Ad

Back