Jared Petrenko

Remove this Banner Ad

Get your hand off it. No way he was in our best 5 players - not even close.

I rate Danger, Sloane, Jacobs, Thompson, Walker, Reilly, Wright, Doughty & Walker were all well ahead of him - and that's before I start contemplating borderline cases.

That said, he wasn't anywhere near our bottom 5 players either - where he was mired for the first 3 games (R4 being a non-game that lasted just 4 seconds). Otten, Mackay, Callinan, Henderson, Talia, Smith, Lyons, McKernan & Tippett were all far less effective than Pets.

As for one paragraph highlighting his major blunder.. did you read the paragraph which followed it? I thought not.

Walker so good he was in there twice!

Pets was super tonight. tackled hard, chased hard, kicked well. MOAR please!

No probably about it. It was easily his best game for the season, by the length of the Flemington Straight. As you say, he wasn't in our top 5. It's debatable whether he was even in our top 10, given that I've already listed 9 players who were clearly better than him.

excuse me if I don't take you word for it. A couple of the ones you listed weren't clearly better than him. You could have at least provided examples that came close to petrenko's output - Doughty and Reilly - seriously?:confused: doughty was just about bottom five and two of those worse didn't play full games.

Its your opinion, not fact and your not always right, epesically when it comes to all things Petrenko.

Before yesterdays game I was probably on the fence with Petrenko probably leaning a bit more to Vaders side. Not any more.

He was sensational yesterday. I could not care if there was 21 better players than him. He did a fantastic job. Credit where credit is due. He adds something to our team we desperately need.

With Petrenko, Wright, Danger and Sloane we actually look like a hard tackling side and that is what won us the game yesterday. I think our midfield actually looked better with Vince not playing

Get your hand off it. No way he was in our best 5 players - not even close.

I rate Danger, Sloane, Jacobs, Thompson, Walker, Reilly, Wright, Doughty & Walker were all well ahead of him - and that's before I start contemplating borderline cases.

That said, he wasn't anywhere near our bottom 5 players either - where he was mired for the first 3 games (R4 being a non-game that lasted just 4 seconds). Otten, Mackay, Callinan, Henderson, Talia, Smith, Lyons, McKernan & Tippett were all far less effective than Pets.

As for one paragraph highlighting his major blunder.. did you read the paragraph which followed it? I thought not.

The paragraph that followed where you said he had a decent game and wasn't bad enough to be poor? Yeah, I read it :rolleyes:

FYI, Champion Data has Petrenko equal 6th - Reilly is 13th, Doughty 18th. Please get YOUR hand off it...

The paragraph that followed where you said he had a decent game and wasn't bad enough to be poor? Yeah, I read it :rolleyes:

FYI, Champion Data has Petrenko equal 6th - Reilly is 13th, Doughty 18th. Please get YOUR hand off it...

Exactly right. Reilly and Doughty, our playmakers out of defence both had only 14 possessions (remember when Vader thought Pet's 13 touches as a defensive small forward was deploreable) while Petrenko playing as a defensive small forward had 16 touches at 82% DE 8 tackles and 2 goals as well as shutting Hartlett completely out of the game. There is no way either Reilly or Doughty played a better game than Petrenko yesterday. He was outstanding.

the way the game is played now, Petrenko and Wright are worth their weight in gold. having said that, we could also do with their speed and tackling in the back 50.

I've started a thread re defensive talls but this post highlights the problem even further with the lack of pace and attacking flair back there.

I'm no huge fan but Reilly particular deserves his spot back there at present, and Doughty is just doing enough, just.

But we seriously need to address the lack of rebound, pace and skill back there.

No probably about it. It was easily his best game for the season, by the length of the Flemington Straight. As you say, he wasn't in our top 5. It's debatable whether he was even in our top 10, given that I've already listed 9 players who were clearly better than him.

Lol pup got 4 votes in the showdown medal (4th best) He was named 5 th best in the tiser and paladin named him 4 th best. The good judges would disagree. I liked Reillys game and thought he played well but he clearly had nowhere near the influence petrenko did. You should try and look past your biased views.

Exactly right. Reilly and Doughty, our playmakers out of defence both had only 14 possessions (remember when Vader thought Pet's 13 touches as a defensive small forward was deploreable) while Petrenko playing as a defensive small forward had 16 touches at 82% DE 8 tackles and 2 goals as well as shutting Hartlett completely out of the game. There is no way either Reilly or Doughty played a better game than Petrenko yesterday. He was outstanding.

Totally agree. This is where some observers really struggle when analysing performance. The position the player is in must come into account. Any way you choose to slice Pets' Showdown32 by the numbers (as a defensive small forward) his results are not just good, they are elite. It's probably why the coach went out of his way to praise him twice in the press conference. And the numbers don't even account for the work he did on HH.

His speed and his ability to bounce off bodies despite his relatively light frame is true to his heritage. They are elite physical qualities often only seen in indigenous players.

His disposal is still sub par.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol pup got 4 votes in the showdown medal (4th best) He was named 5 th best in the tiser and paladin named him 4 th best. The good judges would disagree. I liked Reillys game and thought he played well but he clearly had nowhere near the influence petrenko did. You should try and look past your biased views.
Your point about his showdown medal votes is valid. I did note that you included him in your MVP votes - you remain the only person to give him votes in that competition, though he has picked up quite a few in the BTM category. By the same token, I'm probably the only one who included Reilly in the MVP votes too.

Totally agree. This is where some observers really struggle when analysing performance. The position the player is in must come into account. Any way you choose to slice Pets' Showdown32 by the numbers (as a defensive small forward) his results are not just good, they are elite. It's probably why the coach went out of his way to praise him twice in the press conference. And the numbers don't even account for the work he did on HH.
Elite? LOL. Some people have incredibly loose definitions of "elite", which seem to put the bar as low as "better than 50% of the competition".

This was probably Pets' best game of his career. It was definitely his best game of the season. He's still not in the same universe as the term "elite".

Loved his game in the showdown. If he can produce that or better consistently, he'll be a very, very good player for us.

Elite? LOL. Some people have incredibly loose definitions of "elite", which seem to put the bar as low as "better than 50% of the competition".

This was probably Pets' best game of his career. It was definitely his best game of the season. He's still not in the same universe as the term "elite".

I certainly don't. I was referring to his numbers from that match alone and they are elite. Which part of 16D @ 82%DE, 4i50s, 2Gs, 1GA and 8T is not elite? If he did that every game he would have the 3rd most tackles in the AFL and be a 40+ goal kicker with supreme disposal. There are only 2 small forwards averaging more than 2 goals a game, there are only 4 players ahead of him in GAs.
That performance, from a small forward, was elite level.

Yeah, I don't think he was saying that Pets is elite. Just that his statistics as a defensive small forward are at the elite level which they are. Not many of them get 16 touches, 2 goals, 8 tackles, 82% DE and completely shut down one of the oppositions most important players. Kind of like Danger's game / stats yesterday were elite as far as midfielders go but he is clearly not elite yet.

I find it funny how we are all bickering over what number in the best players Petrenko was. Lets just say, his game last night was very good, as with others. It was better than any other effort he's had this season. Now go and have a beer, look at the scoreboard again from last night, and smile.

I find it funny how we are all bickering over what number in the best players Petrenko was. Lets just say, his game last night was very good, as with others. It was better than any other effort he's had this season. Now go and have a beer, look at the scoreboard again from last night, and smile.

You should post more often:thumbsu:

Your point about his showdown medal votes is valid. I did note that you included him in your MVP votes -you remain the only person to give him votes in that competition, though he has picked up quite a few in the BTM category. By the same token, I'm probably the only one who included Reilly in the MVP votes too.

MVP
5 - Dangerfield - awesome work
4 - Walker - love him
3 - Sloane - Loved his shirt front in the first
2 - Petrenko - Loved his intensity
1 - Johncock - Back to nearly his best.
Apologies to Sauce

BTM
3 - danger - body was on the line all night
2 - Petrenko
1 - Wright - great game, tough nut

ROTY
None

You take this user name thing too seriously Vader

It's not funny at all. Vader made a particularly silly claim that Petrenko was nowhere near the best five players, whereas the stats and Showdown Medal voting suggest otherwise.

It's an agonizing and ongoing battle...some don't accept Vader's (and others) valid criticisms over Petrenko's general ability/consistency, Vader is totally oblivious and/or too stubborn to acknowledge when Petrenko has played a brilliant game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jared Petrenko

Remove this Banner Ad

Back