Traded Jared Polec [traded to North Melbourne with Pittard and #48 for #11 and 2019 fourth round pick]

Who won this trade?

• Port Adelaide

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t worry.....Crows supporters just don’t want Port getting another 1st round pick and upsetting their plans to land Lukosous and Rankine.

Their agendas are almost embarrassing.
They cant help themselves
Nothing wrong with not wanting your main rivals down the road getting better... I am sure you lot would not like it if Geelong or Essendon came in and cut your lunch so to speak. I called this one early that I think port have their eye on a bigger picture and Polec is the unlucky one to be forced out - Wines was to them too important to lose, but had he chosen to leave then they would absolutely have been in the box seat to trade for Picks 1 or 2 as 2 1st rounders would have come their way for sure. If polec and their 1st rounder gives them a chance at Lukosius or Rankine then I absolutely think that is what they will do. I just can't see them trading polec for norths 1st rounder and settling with picks 10 & 13/14 or wherever port finish the year at.

Nothing wrong with not wanting your main rivals down the road getting better... I am sure you lot would not like it if Geelong or Essendon came in and cut your lunch so to speak. I called this one early that I think port have their eye on a bigger picture and Polec is the unlucky one to be forced out - Wines was to them too important to lose, but had he chosen to leave then they would absolutely have been in the box seat to trade for Picks 1 or 2 as 2 1st rounders would have come their way for sure. If polec and their 1st rounder gives them a chance at Lukosius or Rankine then I absolutely think that is what they will do. I just can't see them trading polec for norths 1st rounder and settling with picks 10 & 13/14 or wherever port finish the year at.

I know the feeling.

I disagree with the rest though, they don't want to lose Polec (or ship him off to lad one of those two) its just North have put a massive offer on the table and port will now negotiate, both parties want Polec at PAFC.

If they cant come to an agreement though then thew will absolutely try make the most of a bad situation, getting one of those two is the silver lining to losing a required player.

I know the feeling.

I disagree with the rest though, they don't want to lose Polec (or ship him off to lad one of those two) its just North have put a massive offer on the table and port will now negotiate, both parties want Polec at PAFC.

If they cant come to an agreement though then thew will absolutely try make the most of a bad situation, getting one of those two is the silver lining to losing a required player.
Maybe - I am just speculating but your club unlike mine has not been scared to go after someone it wants rightly or wrongly. But I think that if you landed rankine or lukosius that in a few years time you will be saying Polec who...as Rankine has Andrew McLeod traits and Lukosius has Nick Reiwoldt traits and surely that can't be a bad thing

No doubt Port will be looking to upgrade their picks to get hold of Rankine or Lukosous. Both clubs will be well placed to land one of the 2.....the question is which one does each club want more.
If it’s me, I take Rankine ahead of Lucosous.....both clubs have some decent talk forwards, so Rankine will be that point of difference both are looking for.
Whichever club can trade up for the higher pick gets first dibs.

I don’t think Carlton will give up pick 1 if they don’t get a top 5 pick back, but GC, and Saints might be willing to trade back. Crows probably hold a bit more currency, but how much are they prepared to give up for pick 3 - I doubt GC give up pick 2....they will want first crack I think

Last edited:
Pick 10 would be overs by itself. Highlighting 2010-15 pick 10s is disingenuous, if you have a decent recruiting team those picks could result in Tom Lynch (GC), Docherty, Greene, Cripps Curnow etc.

Literally no one other than port fans reckon Polec is worth more than pick 10, especially in this draft. North just have more motivation to ship this pick off due to the Tarryn Thomas situation.

How is highlighting 6 consequence pick 10’s from a period where they have played enough games to know where they are at disingenuous?

Trying to cherrypick players by selecting in hindsight while labeling my effort disingenuous is freaking bizarre

Also, plenty of people think he is worth your first. Including plenty of north fans. I think it is well unders

Polecs type is a dime a dozen. Try finding strong marking forwards who can win games.

Lol. Taking the piss.

Feel free to make a list of outside running mids with good ball use who can win their own ball that are better or as good as Polec.. I would love to see this dime a dozen list.

And how many players has that happened to over the course of the last couple years? They still end up resigning and Polec still might.

The fact of the matter is Port have either prioritised the 3 I mentioned over Polec or their list management have dropped the ball. Too focused on Ollie and just presumed Polec would sign.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is your argument really that port forgot about Polec?

What are you saying?

I’ve already said that there has been zero. Yes zero talk that we cannot afford Polec in the cap. We haven’t forgotten he exists. We haven’t maxed out south Australia’s pop and have to trade one person for another when we bring players over

North are going ballistic for any good player available. Port have made it clear we will not get into a crazy bidding war for him. The ball is in polecs court and he has said himself he wants to stay here.

Lol. Taking the piss.

Feel free to make a list of outside running mids with good ball use who can win their own ball that are better or as good as Polec.. I would love to see this dime a dozen list.

It's very simple philthy. Pay the bloke.

If not, cop what you can get.

Maybe - I am just speculating but your club unlike mine has not been scared to go after someone it wants rightly or wrongly. But I think that if you landed rankine or lukosius that in a few years time you will be saying Polec who...as Rankine has Andrew McLeod traits and Lukosius has Nick Reiwoldt traits and surely that can't be a bad thing

Yea your probably right, port have a very good record of targeting and getting players, particularly the last few years.

Maybe your right, they may very well develop into the players everyone thinks they could be, but they may be duds it happens all the times, superstar teenages don't always develop into super stars in the AFL. Right now Port are in their premiership window, losing Polec is a step backwards. Polec is far more valuable to Port now than those two.

Don't get me wrong, id love to get them, but just not comfortable trading away a player as important as Polly to get them when we are contending. But if Polly does go after the massive offer from North then getting one of those two is the silver lining.

How is highlighting 6 consequence pick 10’s from a period where they have played enough games to know where they are at disingenuous?

Trying to cherrypick players by selecting in hindsight while labeling my effort disingenuous is freaking bizarre

Also, plenty of people think he is worth your first. Including plenty of north fans. I think it is well unders.
Here's an example why using a specific pick is disingenuous. The number 1 picks over those years were Swallow, Boyd, Patton, Whitfield, McCartin and Weitering.

Polec is worth more than any of those bar maybe Whitfield and Weitering. Does that mean he's worth pick 1? No way in hell.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a north fan on here happy to fork out pick 9 for Polec. If we make finals and have a good run, something around 15-ish would be more likely in a straight swap.

Port adelaide posters in here are dreaming.

Polec is good but he's a winger. Not an inside mid or KPP. It's a strong draft and talk of a top 5 pick is fanciful.

Any deal involving North's top pick (~9) will see Port's 22 or at the very least 30 coming back the other way. That is fair for both clubs. Polec will nominate North and North will front load his contract to 1 million in the first effectively pricing other clubs out. Port played this game with Jacobs (pick 36 isn't enough we want more!) and he walked to the draft and got to North anyway.

Let's try and be realistic in here please.

I think we'll push for pick 9 and get it. North don't have the sort of leverage they had with Jacobs. Other teams will swoop on Polec without a doubt in the draft.

He'll be a great pickup for North. If the quoted figures are correct I think they're overpaying, but he's a great wingman. Wins his own ball, brilliant in traffic, great vision and will look much better in a system that actually works to make space for it's KPFs to lead into. Somebody might want to sit on the Polec2Brown username shortly because it will happen several times a game.

Spewing if we lose him but we can't reasonably match the offer being presented to him. Footy sucks sometimes.

Polec is good but he's a winger. Not an inside mid or KPP. It's a strong draft and talk of a top 5 pick is fanciful.

Any deal involving North's top pick (~9) will see Port's 22 or at the very least 30 coming back the other way. That is fair for both clubs. Polec will nominate North and North will front load his contract to 1 million in the first effectively pricing other clubs out. Port played this game with Jacobs (pick 36 isn't enough we want more!) and he walked to the draft and got to North anyway.

The thing is, you've got several clubs finishing below North with cap space, and Polec is about 100 times more attractive an option than Jacobs.

We can afford to play hardball a little bit here. We have a lot more leverage than we did with Jacobs.

Yes he is a winger, but he is an extremely capable contested possession winner, which is why you've offered 750K.

Can't make an offer like that then say you're not getting a first unless you give us a second back. Talk about being realistic, its worth noting Jacobs wanted to leave, Polec wants to stay at port but is following big money. Carlton and StKilda both want him. This isn't a one club race.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Difference between Polec and Jacobs is Jacobs was drafted here and never chose to be here and couldn't wait to leave. Polec chose to be here and we've already gave up a first for him. Polec WILL NOT ENTER THE DRAFT to leave, he's not that desperate. Polec also won't want to play for Carlton or any other bottom team. The only reason he's leaving is cash otherwise he'd stay. So could every North supporter stop acting like they have any leverage or he's a free agent. If Port doesn't like the deal he stays.

But forgive me North supporters, it's been so long since any decent player has chosen your team as a destination. I forgot you guys don't know anything about trades.

Let's break this down to some basic facts.

Port Adelaide rate Polec as a 3 x $500K investment.

This is basically a 3rd tier contract.

Yet some of you folks reckon he is worth pick 8-10 alone or higher? Can you see how that makes no sense to a lot of people?

Yes he is a winger, but he is an extremely capable contested possession winner, which is why you've offered 750K.

Can't make an offer like that then say you're not getting a first unless you give us a second back. Talk about being realistic, its worth noting Jacobs wanted to leave, Polec wants to stay at port but is following big money. Carlton and StKilda both want him. This isn't a one club race.
The only problem that comes if a deal can't be struck between the clubs and he goes to the PSD and says he only wants to go to North and north have front loaded his contract to 1 mil or 1.2 mil, what club is going to say..hey Polec is going to the PSD - he specifically says he does not want to play fo rus but heck, lets spend a million or 1.2 million or whatever his nominated figure is on him and hope he changes his mind?? what a risk from a non preferred club. Not saying it couldn't happen, but gee, it is very very unlikely a club takes a player who does not want to go there.

It is a touch one as polec seems quite loyal to port and even though money talks, it is hard to see him forcing a PSD scenario. I still think north including Preuss is not the worst option in the world particularly as they need cover for Ryder should he not get over his leg injury concerns as part of any deal and that Rucci was on radio tonight stating Lycett will leave WCE and has chosen St Kilda as his club.....

and you've offered 750k for 5 ???

So basically, you reckon Port will stall a trade based upon how North values him, not on how Port values him?

Have I got that right?

A contracted Brad Hill fetched pick 23, not a chance an uncontracted Polec fetches a top 10 pick.

It get's better. A 21 year old Polec went for pick 37!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jared Polec [traded to North Melbourne with Pittard and #48 for #11 and 2019 fourth round pick]

Back