Opinion Jarryd Lyons - Are midfielders supposed to take this long?

Remove this Banner Ad

If the rumours are true that he was offered a paltry contract which was rejected I'd say the club is trying to off load him and up his trade price by saying he's a required player. Although I like Lyons and admire him for his persistence he will only ever be an average role player I think and not a game changer which is what we need.
If he was offered a paltry contract I would love to know exactly what thommo, Douglas and McKay are on.

Had 19 touches playing mostly hhf with a bit of time in the centre, was better than B Crouch

The gaping hole in our list profile, and the underperforming senior players we carry no matter what, result in people expecting someone like Lyons, in his first full season, to be a dominant mid.

He might not ever be, but his year has been fantastic; he makes Douglas look woeful.

Maybe if the senior players were pulling their weight and playing like senior players, we'd be more appreciative of Lyons year.

Reporting live from Adelaide Bigfooty subforum: Shocking scenes as the angry "BLOOD THE YOUTH" mob turn on their former poster-boy, Jarryd Lyons, and demand a trade. A spokesperson for the mob claims Lyons has betrayed them by achieving his potential as a pretty-good player. In the process becoming yet another experienced player clogging up the list and taking a spot in the 22 that could be used to develop another promising young player who would clearly "tear it up!" at AFL level if only he were given the chance his 5 possessions per game at SANFL level demand.

realistically Lyons has only ever had solid B stamped by his name, but at least he bloody delivers.

if he'd spent half as much time in the side as other certified B's like VB, Douglas and Mackay have we'd be better than we are.

honestly can't believe he's stood by us so long actually, get the hell out of here JL it ain't worth it... and get us back into the second round please :thumbsu:

Reporting live from Adelaide Bigfooty subforum: Shocking scenes as the angry "BLOOD THE YOUTH" mob turn on their former poster-boy, Jarryd Lyons, and demand a trade. A spokesperson for the mob claims Lyons has betrayed them by achieving his potential as a pretty-good player. In the process becoming yet another experienced player clogging up the list and taking a spot in the 22 that could be used to develop another promising young player who would clearly "tear it up!" at AFL level if only he were given the chance his 5 possessions per game at SANFL level demand.

Fair chance you've not really grasped the nuances of the debate, isnt there?

Been our 3rd best midfielder this year and has had a very good year. But I do think he has nearly reached his ceiling.

Happy to keep him on but if a club offers up a top 25 pick we would be silly not to think really hard about it.

Still think he stays though.

Being our 3rd best mid from a forward flank is a fair effort. I think there's still a bit more in him with more midfield time. But as long as we get full value, I'm comfortable with any player being traded.

Would be humorous if it wasn't for the fact that it's the posters who never rated him who and continually supported his non-selection or vest are the ones leading the way in being happy to trade him and happy he's been low balled. Those that tended to think he was hard done by for opportunity recognise he rarely got much midfield time this year but still had a solid year whilst watching Thommo limping to his 20 touches for the last 18 games whilst playing exclusively on the ball.

Yep I reckon this could be a win/win trade if it happens. He gets the contract he deserves and we get a good pick which our list management team can use well.

Still wouldn't mind him staying though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The guys been treated terribly by the club.
He has no option but to leave after a very poor contract offer.
The guy has only played 50 games, half of those in the sub vest and people think he has peaked ?
I hope he does well up at GC and we get a good pick for him.
Nothing to do with not rating him, I love the bloke and have been calling for him to be played the last 4 years, but they need to re-jig the midfield and he's the only one of worth there at the moment. We won't get anything (and probably can't) trade Douglas and Mackay and Thommo is likely to suck up a lot of minutes again anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Jarryd Lyons - Are midfielders supposed to take this long?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back