Jason Akermanis almost dropped at halftime

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
North Melbourne
  • RODNEY Eade says his team can quickly snap its worrying form slump, but conceded Jason Akermanis had been half a game from the VFL.
The Dogs have now lost three of their past four games after giving North Melbourne a 32-point start late in the first quarter yesterday.
A host of players are out of form. None more so than Akermanis, who had three possessions to halftime before being moved into defence on Roos star Brent Harvey.
He responded with some strong defensive efforts against the in-form rover.
It was a performance Eade said had probably saved his spot in the side.
"I would think he has probably saved his bacon in the second half," Eade said.
"He wasn't giving us anything. He was struggling, and he has struggled for a while.
"Harvey had 17 (possessions) to halftime with two blokes rotating on him, so you put a bloke who is not getting the ball on a player who is and it worked out pretty well.

"I thought he played pretty well in the second half.
"If he had continued on with what happened in the first half, he may have been in the frame, with a few other players. He might have been considered."
Akermanis's first half led to a brutal appraisal at the long break from former teammate Luke Darcy on SEN.
"He needs a spell," Darcy said.
"He needs to go back and show his teammates because you can't carry someone whose body language is the way it is today.
"His second efforts are non-existent. When you turn up and show you don't want to be out there, you have a spell."
But Akermanis improved and so did the Dogs, a sign according to Eade that the form slump is not terminal.
He said his side has played enough strong football in the past month to show its problem is consistency, not pure form.
"I haven't got deep-seated concerns. Every week, even the ones we lost, we have played some good football," Eade said.
"So there is form there. It's not like no one is playing well.
"It's just we need a consistent effort for four quarters.
"We are a workmanlike side. We need to have our pressure up, we need to work hard. If we don't we are not going to win."
The Bulldogs are locked into a qualifying final against Hawthorn and have little to play for until then, something the coach says may have taken the edge off their intensity.
"We spoke about that during the week," Eade said.
"We have got a team playing for their life and you would like to think that wouldn't be the case, that we would have enough character for that, but it didn't look like that.
"We can all be amateur psychologists. But let's put it on the table.
"We are not a good enough side unless we have got everyone working hard. If we don't get that we are going to lose games."
Ben Hudson was a late withdrawal with back spasms, but Eade said he would return against the Brisbane Lions at the Gabba on Saturday night.
Shaun Higgins will play for Williamstown when he returns from ankle problems, and should be joined by champion midfielder Scott West.
But with tall defenders dropping like flies, Eade said the Bulldogs were vulnerable down back and had few options to turn to.
The Roos won the inside-50s 52-50 and scored from 31 of those entries.
"That's a huge percentage once you go inside your forward 50," Eade said.
"It's not the only area, but it's one we need to look at. We haven't got the personnel there at the moment. We have got a couple of players out and it leaves us vulnerable."

Anyone catch this story?

Confirms what most off us think on BF.

Players not trying because coach has declared these games a non issue for us.

My concern is when the players need to switch on and do the hard things they won't be quick enough to turn on there A game and the opposition will get away to a flyer before we get back into the game.

Certainly does not fill me with confidence.

On Aker being dropped. What a load off spin doctor rubbish.

Akermanis has been terrible for the past 4 weeks.

Let's compare him with Harbrow's last month.

Disposals:
Akermanis = 42 (10.5 ave)
Harbrow = 54 (13.5 ave)

Goals:
Akermanis = 0
Harbrow = 6

Tackles:
Akermanis = 1 (0.25 ave)
Harbrow = 14 (3.5 ave)

Goal Assists:
Akermanis = 0
Harbrow = 3

Inside 50's:
Akermanis = 9
Harbrow = 16

*Stats from footywire.com

Disposals:
Harbrow = 54 (13.5 ave)

Goals:
Akermanis = 0
Harbrow = 6

Tackles:
Akermanis = 1 (0.25 ave)
Harbrow = 14 (3.5 ave)

Goal Assists:
Akermanis = 0
Harbrow = 3

Inside 50's:
Akermanis = 9
Harbrow = 16

*Stats from footywire.com

He has been really poor. Lets see how he goes against his old side were pride is on the line.

Thank God Harbrow has stepped up. Depth is looking fairly thin at the moment.

Harbrow has been great, he always chases which applies great pressure, if he can continue to chime in with goals he will be a very important player for us.

He has really dropped off in the last 4-5 weeks. Did anyone see the drop off in his champion data stats on On the Couch? Unbelievable :eek: Comparing the last 5 weeks to the first 14, he is down approx 70-80%. It is staggering.

IMO he should have a weeks rest before the finals. Adelaide game or Brisbane game would be ideal game to do it.

• RODNEY Eade says his team can quickly snap its worrying form slump, but conceded Jason Akermanis had been half a game from the VFL.
He responded with some strong defensive efforts against the in-form rover.
It was a performance Eade said had probably saved his spot in the side.
"I would think he has probably saved his bacon in the second half," Eade said.
"He wasn't giving us anything. He was struggling, and he has struggled for a while.

"I thought he played pretty well in the second half.
"If he had continued on with what happened in the first half, he may have been in the frame, with a few other players. He might have been considered."

Who are these players and was their bacon saved in the second half?

Aker is the icing on our cake. You can't ice a cake if it consists of shyte and doesn't rise.
Aker isn't the sole reason we have dropped off.
In the first half of the season when we struggled to get the ball out of the centre, Aker was thrown in and we got results. Now that that isn't happening, Aker is the reason for our downfall. He is not the sole reason but just a piece in the jigsaw puzzle.

Our backline is too loose (apologies to Morris)
Our midfielders aren't clearing the ball like the first half of the year.
Our tackles are down.
Our forwards aren't putting the pressure on when they haven't got the ball. (apologies to Harbrow and lesser extent Welsh)
Our ball skills have dropped right off.

If it hadn't have been for Johnson we would have lost by 10 goals.
If it hadn't have been for Hahn and Welsh we would have lost to Swans by 5-10 goals.

We have basically been shyte since three quarter time against the Cats. Maybe the smacking we got in that last quarter has put doubts into a few players.

AKA is not solely to blame thats for sure - however the body language is not good, and I noticed when Welsh kicked that goal in the first he basically ignored AKA who was closest and went and celebrated with someone else! Hope its nothing.

We have basically been shyte since three quarter time against the Cats. Maybe the smacking we got in that last quarter has put doubts into a few players.

Totally agree and its a pattern unfortunately.

Last year we were 9-6 going into cats game and after they hammered us we lost every game except the draw against the saints! Maybe they sledge so well it destroys our fragile confidence, apparently Mackie is a champ at it according to Darce :D

Reply from Aker in the Hun

• ALL OF a sudden, the vultures are circling and the wolves are at the door.
Even an old teammate Luke Darcy has joined in.
It's what happens when a player who has been around as long as I have has a slow month.
A month ago, it was all fantastic. Now it seems everyone's wanting to get into us.
In All-Australian contention one month, almost being given the boot the next.
On Sunday against North Melbourne, the plan was to give me a reasonably light game.
After a quiet first half, I was sent back to play in defence on Brent Harvey.
I immediately thought: "If he towels me up, I'm in a lot of strife."
It wasn't that hard to focus. I had to do a job to help the side.
Harvey had helped himself to 18 touches by halftime and looked dangerous.

As the coach Rodney Eade revealed afterwards, I had one foot back in the VFL with Williamstown.
It was a courageous move from the coaching staff and I believe I made a solid contribution after the long break as we, as a team, also improved.
I wasn't surprised Rodney mentioned how close I was to being dropped.
He'd mentioned it a couple of weeks ago. That's what happens.
You also have to accept the media are going to criticise you.
I picked up the Herald Sun on Monday morning to discover "Darce" had told SEN listeners I needed a spell.
"You can't carry someone whose body language is the way it is today," he said.
"His second efforts are non-existent. When you turn up and show you don't want to be out there, you have a spell."
Darce gets paid to do it and I'll probably be the same when I finish up. At times I'll have to give it to former teammates.
But it can look easy from the stands and Darce, as much as anyone, knows how tough it can be.
He was probably lucky to have a spot at times last year, coming back from knee reconstructions.
You take it on board, but I can't agree on the body language.
It is always the same. I am always careful to keep that as consistent as possible.
It is very easy to say, "He's useless", without adding what the player can do to turn it around.
The knockers started after the Geelong loss a few weeks ago, when another old teammate Michael Voss had a crack.
Vossy wrote that I never played well against the Cats. He doesn't have a great memory.
The most recent outings haven't been special, but I have played some really good games against Geelong over the years.
You just have to get on with it and not worry too much about what people are saying.
What has gone wrong, you might ask?
That's not an easy one to answer. It's not something simple like an injury. You can't say it's mental either.
The neurons and the muscles in the body are the same. I've got some little niggles, like anyone, but that's no excuse.
A couple of weeks back, I probably started working too hard midweek to get myself out of a hole. That's fixed now.
It still hurts, which means I still have the passion to play. If it didn't, I would call it a day.
I just need to hang in there, as does the club.
As a club, we've done so well, but the past two weeks our starts have been very poor.
We haven't been as strong around the centre. The ball isn't coming into the forward line like it usually does, either.
We head to my old stomping ground of Brisbane on Saturday night.
What better place to get back on the horse, and keep at it, than at the Gabba?

Good article, again love the honsety from Aker rather than the crap.

Many people wrote off johnno at the start of the year and look at the form he is producing now. Im not prepared to write off Aker, you never write of champions. He will come good when we need him and thats in the finals.

The problem isn't so much that Harbrow has him well covered stats-wise.

The problem is that Harbrow's real assets (chasing, running to block space, trying to break the lines for assists) aren't statted - I'd argue Harbrow has the most important "non stats" in our team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why compare him to a young guy fighting for his spot knowing the coach wants West and Higgins in the side before September.

Why not compare him to Ray and Eagleton?

I know who I would like in my side in September at the G.

Why not compare him to Ray and Eagleton?

I know who I would like in my side in September at the G.

No worries. I just picked Harbrow because he's sort of one of those blokes that could get dropped at any moment and they play roughly the same position.

Last 4 rounds.

Disposals:
Harbrow = 54 (13.5 ave)
Ray = 57 (14.2 ave)
Eagleton = 69 (17.2 ave)
Johnson = 76 ( 19.0 ave)

Goals:

Akermanis = 0
Harbrow = 6
Ray = 1
Eagleton = 2
Johnson = 13

Tackles:
Akermanis = 1 (0.25 ave)
Harbrow = 14 (3.5 ave)
Ray = 13 (3.2 ave)
Eagleton = 7 (1.7 ave)
Johnson = 5 (1.2 ave)

Goal Assists:
Akermanis = 0
Harbrow = 3
Ray = 1
Eagleton = 0
Johnson = 2

Inside 50's:
Akermanis = 9
Harbrow = 16
Ray = 7
Eagleton = 15
Johnson = 11

I'm not saying he shouldn't play in September. I'm just saying I agree he's pretty close to getting dropped, as Eade said.

The goals, goal assists and tackles are the ones that stand out for me. Obvious drop in work rate for a small forward who's major function is to be creative and lock the ball in.

Johnno however has had a pretty solid time of it during that period. Could tackle more but if Aker was to lift his number to Johnno's level, plus a few tackles then they will be unstoppable in September.

Yea I know! He's making the most of his opportunity that's for sure.

he has indeed been very impressive.
the question is, who will west and higgins replace when they get a run??
harbrow, eagleton, and ray would be first in the pecking order wouldnt they?

I read Aka's article in the Sun. Glad he seemed fired up. He's come on on radio too saying he's been carrying niggling injuries too. I hope he has a ripping game, I miss his magic - he can really lift the side and the crowd. He's done awesome things this year but he can't be perfect every week. He's insisted that he's been careful to keep his body language consistent.

I hope he fires up early in the Brissie game, pulls a few tricks and gets some big cheers to get him up again. Wish I could be there with a huge encouraging banner!

I've really enjoyed watching Harbrow too - you see it's kinda been worth the 'form slump' - players who are usually overshadowed by the Aka show get a real chance. I bet no-one wants Aka to be back in form more than Aka himself. I'm not going to bag him, no way.

No worries. I just picked Harbrow because he's sort of one of those blokes that could get dropped at any moment and they play roughly the same position.

Last 4 rounds.

Disposals:
Harbrow = 54 (13.5 ave)
Ray = 57 (14.2 ave)
Eagleton = 69 (17.2 ave)
Johnson = 76 ( 19.0 ave)

Goals:

Akermanis = 0
Harbrow = 6
Ray = 1
Eagleton = 2
Johnson = 13

Tackles:
Akermanis = 1 (0.25 ave)
Harbrow = 14 (3.5 ave)
Ray = 13 (3.2 ave)
Eagleton = 7 (1.7 ave)
Johnson = 5 (1.2 ave)

Goal Assists:
Akermanis = 0
Harbrow = 3
Ray = 1
Eagleton = 0
Johnson = 2

Inside 50's:
Akermanis = 9
Harbrow = 16
Ray = 7
Eagleton = 15
Johnson = 11

I'm not saying he shouldn't play in September. I'm just saying I agree he's pretty close to getting dropped, as Eade said.

Aker= premierships,brownlow,matchwinner

Johnno=Matchwinner

Harbrow=Young,defensive skills,likely improver

Ray=Played a good final a couple of years back when Malthouse didn't bother to man him up

Eagleton=200 games, once compared to Craig Bradley

Remove this Banner Ad

Jason Akermanis almost dropped at halftime

Remove this Banner Ad

Back