Jason Cave's best VAFA Team since 1975

Remove this Banner Ad

How would the team I've selected (the new version, not the old one) have gone in a state game against South Australia, either in Adelaide or in Melbourne?

It would have to be from the SANFL (with a few AFL guys who had played in Adelaide before going to Melbourne thrown in) so we could have a semi-professional game (a bit like what the SAAMFL and the VAFA have done over the years).

Here's the SA side:

B: P.Bagshaw (Sturt) G.Phillips (Port) M.Taylor (Norwood)

HB: P.Weston (Glenelg) M.Leslie (Port) S.Tregenza (Port)

C: M.Aish (Norwood) R.Ebert (Port) C.Bradley (Port)

HF: G.McIntosh (Norwood) M.Blight (Wood) S.Kernahan (Glen)

F: T.Evans (Port) S.Hodges (Port) R.Davies (Sturt)

R: P.Carey (Glen) B.Robran (North) J.Platten (Cent)

INT: D.Smith (Port) B.Lindsay (WestTorr) T.Ginever (Port)
C.McDermott (Glen) T.McGuinness (Glen) N.Craig (Norwood)

EMERG: M.Tyler (Port) D.Granger (Port) A.Jarman (North)
D.Jarman (North) B.Light (Port) B.Abernethy (Port)

COACH: Graham Cornes

CAPTAIN: Barrie Robran

VICE-CAPTAIN: Garry McIntosh

DEP.VICE-CAPTAIN: Rick Davies

CHAIRMAN OF SELECTORS: Neil Kerley

SELECTION PANEL: John Halbert, John Cahill, Max Basheer

UMPIRE: Laurie Argent

That's the reason why I wanted Glenn Hatfield in my original team, so to see Hatfield & Garry McIntosh go at it hammer & tongs. But the main focus,is really on the VAFA side-not the SA team.

Jason you are seriously starting to scare me.

"Starting to scare"?? You're obviously made of sterner stuff than me JGH. Jascave has been freaking me out for a number of months.

Jascave - any danger of a team from WA to take on the Big V? Surely Steve Malaxos would have to captain that outfit?

We could get Denis Cometti to commentate on the match. He's no Brad Beitzel but it would be great to hear him say: "Malaxos, on the outer side, gets an unkind bounce ..." just once more.

OK, forget SA. We'll just go with the best VAFA side, and that's it. Just a reminder that ALL nominations for this VAFA must be in by no later than March 1 and must in my mailbox by then. That way, I can get feedback/or suggestions for this team. Remember no more than 5 players can be nominated for this team. When you put in your nominations, have the player(s) name, club of origin and what position he played in.

It would have to be from the SANFL (with a few AFL guys who had played in Adelaide before going to Melbourne thrown in) so we could have a semi-professional game (a bit like what the SAAMFL and the VAFA have done over the years).

Here's the SA side:

B: P.Bagshaw (Sturt) G.Phillips (Port) M.Taylor (Norwood)

HB: P.Weston (Glenelg) M.Leslie (Port) S.Tregenza (Port)

C: M.Aish (Norwood) R.Ebert (Port) C.Bradley (Port)

HF: G.McIntosh (Norwood) M.Blight (Wood) S.Kernahan (Glen)

F: T.Evans (Port) S.Hodges (Port) R.Davies (Sturt)

R: P.Carey (Glen) B.Robran (North) J.Platten (Cent)

INT: D.Smith (Port) B.Lindsay (WestTorr) T.Ginever (Port)
C.McDermott (Glen) T.McGuinness (Glen) N.Craig (Norwood)

EMERG: M.Tyler (Port) D.Granger (Port) A.Jarman (North)
D.Jarman (North) B.Light (Port) B.Abernethy (Port)

COACH: Graham Cornes

CAPTAIN: Barrie Robran

VICE-CAPTAIN: Garry McIntosh

DEP.VICE-CAPTAIN: Rick Davies

CHAIRMAN OF SELECTORS: Neil Kerley

SELECTION PANEL: John Halbert, John Cahill, Max Basheer

UMPIRE: Laurie Argent

That was a real LOL moment. I had to pretend to work colleagues that i was remebering something funny that happenend on the weekend. They asked me what, and i just reeled off a story about a mate of mine getting knocked back by a girl at a bar. Problem was, my story sucked. Jase, is Landrigan playing on Steve Kernahan? And who will be tagging Platten and Bradley. They will be in for a tough day at the office.:rolleyes:

That was a real LOL moment. I had to pretend to work colleagues that i was remebering something funny that happenend on the weekend. They asked me what, and i just reeled off a story about a mate of mine getting knocked back by a girl at a bar. Problem was, my story sucked. Jase, is Landrigan playing on Steve Kernahan? And who will be tagging Platten and Bradley. They will be in for a tough day at the office.:rolleyes:

Who was that Full Forward from SA who had the massive beergut?

Absolute classic!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Starting to scare"?? You're obviously made of sterner stuff than me JGH. Jascave has been freaking me out for a number of months.

"Starting to scare" is right. I think Jase is so obsessed with footy he goes to haloween parties dressed as Jim Jess.

OK, what about the SA Amateurs based on the players that had made All Australian selection from 1975 till 2007, to play against the 1975-2007 VAFA side.

The SA squad is:

Name Club

N. Annear Broadview
M.Tyler (c) Port Districts
A.Antonello Adelaide Uni.
B.Botten St Peters OC
R.Buckley Semaphore Central
L.Cailotto Flinders Park
P.Cousins Seaton Ramblers
T.Ferguson Prince Alfred O.C.
C.Giles Greek
W.Hamilton St Peter O.C.
M.Hamill Riverside
J.Jaques Riverside
G.Lauder Kilburn
B.Owen Port Districts
P.Smith Gepps Cross
W.Weidemann Kilburn
C.Williams Adelaide Uni.
K.Aistrope Broadview
D.Algate Riverside
E.Arnold Adelaide Uni.
N.Fielke Payneham
J.Goodes Goodwood
P.Kemp Broadview
D.Kitsche Broadview

COACH: Bob Cross

Captain: Mark Tyler

Jase, who gives a stuff about the SA side. My question that you need to do some heavy research on is why havent you included more than two Ormond players in the 18 from their great 5 in a row A Section Premiership run?
Pick up your game son, Simon Eishold was the best VAFA player for years before drafted by the Demons.

I was only joking man. But Jas, I do love your work brother. From the first day you posted you acted like you owned the VAFA thread - and now you do.

Let me spend the day trying to come up with a VAFA question to stump you. you are gold mate and I hope Santa finds you on the morning of the 25th with a new set of undies & socks and maybe a hanky with your initials embroided on the corner.

Actually, here's an idea. What about if EVERYONE puts their own teams in this thread (some people have done this already). That way, I'll have an fair idea how many players would be named for the initial squad. I'll make the squad capped at 100 (no more than that). Then each month, I will narrow it down until I get to the final 24, which I will put in the Amateur Footballer 'For the Love of the Game' next year.

Jase, who gives a stuff about the SA side. My question that you need to do some heavy research on is why havent you included more than two Ormond players in the 18 from their great 5 in a row A Section Premiership run?
Pick up your game son, Simon Eishold was the best VAFA player for years before drafted by the Demons.

I have a similar gripe about Collegians. In between 1986 and 1996, the Lions played in 7 A Section grand finals, winning three premierships.

I can't believe that not one Collegians player can get a look in.

Actually, here's an idea. What about if EVERYONE puts their own teams in this thread (some people have done this already). That way, I'll have an fair idea how many players would be named for the initial squad. I'll make the squad capped at 100 (no more than that). Then each month, I will narrow it down until I get to the final 24, which I will put in the Amateur Footballer 'For the Love of the Game' next year.

Jason can you compile a best ever reserves team to play the second string SANFL team (think Adam Saliba might be in that one). Thanks mate, expect it by 10am.

IF THE SQUAD IS 100, I BELIEVE PAUL EDWARDS FROM POWERHOUSE/THERRY PENOLA SHOULD BE IN THIS.HE HAS PLAYED IN TWO FLAGS,WON THE GOALKICKING IN THE COMP,REPRESENTED THE STATE 5 TIMES AND IS THE ONLY BLOKE IVE HEARD OF WHO PLAYS FULL FORWARD FOR HIS CLUB AND FULL BACK AT STATE LEVEL?

JG Hornet,

Sorry, but this is dedicated to senior level-not reserves or Under 19 or even Club 18.

BTW, the inital squad will be named sometime early in the New Year(possibly Jan. 5)-just keep the nominations coming please. Your nominations must include the player's name, club, and what position that player excelled in (ie full-forward, centre half-back etc). But no more than 5-yes 5-players can be nominated-regardless of what section that player was in (doesn't matter whether it was A or D4 section).

JG Hornet,

Sorry, but this is dedicated to senior level-not reserves or Under 19 or even Club 18.

BTW, the inital squad will be named sometime early in the New Year(possibly Jan. 5)-just keep the nominations coming please. Your nominations must include the player's name, club, and what position that player excelled in (ie full-forward, centre half-back etc). But no more than 5-yes 5-players can be nominated-regardless of what section that player was in (doesn't matter whether it was A or D4 section).

Seriously Jase, I know it's summer and all but you are really starting to bore me!

JG Hornet,

Is that you Boz?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back